Bill to be introduced on Monday (1 Viewer)

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
There is a bill to be introduced to Parliament on Monday about trying to sort out the balance between sites for genuine travelling people and static sites for travellers. They recognise that there should be more sites for genuine travelling people.

We need to be contacting our MPs now to point out that not all travellers are Gypsies or Irish Travellers which are the groups recognised as a racial group.

John

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
it is unfortunate people feel the need to group others into boxes, gypsies, travellers, didicoys, new age travellers, old age travellers, they are all fulltimers, fulltiming through choice, fullltiming through no choice. How can you make distinctions, and that is the problem. There has to be a way to provide services for all groups, maybe one way would be a 24hr stop over rigidly enforced. and nothing outside of the van, no table chair or awning, not even Sat on a tripod. With so many people choosing a travelling life facilities have to be made available, if they are not free at least those using them put something back into the pot. Whilst I advocate wild parking as it suits me, I also move on every day and I pay the highest water rates in the country here in Devon so have no problem expecting to use facilities for free.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
it is unfortunate people feel the need to group others into boxes, gypsies, travellers, didicoys, new age travellers, old age travellers, they are all fulltimers, fulltiming through choice, fullltiming through no choice. How can you make distinctions, and that is the problem. There has to be a way to provide services for all groups, maybe one way would be a 24hr stop over rigidly enforced. and nothing outside of the van, no table chair or awning, not even Sat on a tripod. With so many people choosing a travelling life facilities have to be made available, if they are not free at least those using them put something back into the pot. Whilst I advocate wild parking as it suits me, I also move on every day and I pay the highest water rates in the country here in Devon so have no problem expecting to use facilities for free.

you missed out showmen (a very important part of the uk comunity), or were you using thier prefered nom de plume "travellers"?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date

and so you should pay the highest water rates, you get the most sunshine so you use th emost :roflmto:

But I kind of agree with you Wildman. When we went fulltime I did not really see us as being different to what we were before, just where we slept.

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
you missed out showmen (a very important part of the uk comunity), or were you using thier prefered nom de plume "travellers"?

Showmen have an exemption under the 1960 Act for travelling sites and don't need explicit planning permission but for their winter quarters they must still have planning permission.

There are 10 exemption groups but wildcamping is not one of them.

John

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
They recognise that there should be more sites for genuine travelling people.

John

Yes , there should be more sites for genuine travelers of whatever name.. but two points

* How do they prevent them being used by part time travelers ? .. ie tourists.

* As genuine traveling people don't pay council tax, water and sewage charges, there should be a charge.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Yes , there should be more sites for genuine travelers of whatever name.. but two points

* How do they prevent them being used by part time travelers ? .. ie tourists.

* As genuine traveling people don't pay council tax, water and sewage charges, there should be a charge.

showmen do, they buy thier own winter quarters and pay the relavent taxs

carl65

Free Member
Jul 20, 2009
North Shields Tyne & Wear
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
new show starts on Tuesday my gypsy wedding get to see how poor they are NOT most seem to do well living full time !!

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Are showmen genuine travelers or traveling showmen.. ? In any case, there could exceptions for those already paying..... .. but once you make an exception ...... you know where it goes.

the ones im refering to are traveling showmen (thier term "Travelers")

Mixter

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Now a year - cant believe it!
It beats me how some of them hide behind the 'race' card to claim discrimination. Folk of all races 'travel' as their lifestyle. All an 'Irish traveller' is, is a person from Ireland who lives in a caravan. Same as an Englishman, Scotsman, or Welshman.
A lot of these so-called 'gypsies' are no nearer true Gypsies than the Queen Mother. The contrast between the two sorts of 'Gypsy' is equally huge.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It beats me how some of them hide behind the 'race' card to claim discrimination. Folk of all races 'travel' as their lifestyle. All an 'Irish traveller' is, is a person from Ireland who lives in a caravan. Same as an Englishman, Scotsman, or Welshman.
A lot of these so-called 'gypsies' are no nearer true Gypsies than the Queen Mother. The contrast between the two sorts of 'Gypsy' is equally huge.

The legal position is that English Gypsies and Irish Travellers are ethnic groups recognised by the Race Relations (Amendment) Act 2000 (now replaced by the Equalities Act 2010). Amongst other things this recognises their right to a nomadic lifestyle.

One of the problems for local authorities trying to deal with unauthorised camp sites etc is that they have to establish whether or not people belong to one of those ethnic groups before they can properly enforce the law.

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
the ones im refering to are traveling showmen (thier term "Travelers")

Technically they need to be members of the Showmens Guild to qualify for the exemption to the 1960 Act Part 2 paragraph 10.

John

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Technically they need to be members of the Showmens Guild to qualify for the exemption to the 1960 Act Part 2 paragraph 10.

John

John.

It makes a change to hear from a non-showman who knows what hes talking about. (Im assumiung your not a member)

My grand father was one of the founder members of the Showmans guild (midland section) My father was a lifelong member, I was also untill I not so many years ago.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back