Window Insulation (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
We bought 2 of those camping rolls (for sleeping on) the thermal ones with foil on one side. We cut them to fit our side windows what was left over taped together made one for the Heiki. The idea being to help with insulation during this cold weather and to keep down the condensation, were off to SW Scotland tomorrow.

Wifey and I disagree on should the foil side be inside or out?

What do my learned peers think, ie foil in keeps heat in, foil out reflects the cold? :Doh:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi
sounds like a good idea
Can you try one each way----see if you notice any difference
I would think you may get condensation on foil if it's on the 'cold' side ???
We did the same sort of thing --with foil either side of bubble wrap--in Alaska------------to keep out the light at night----not much dark in the summer !!!!!!!!!
Nigel

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I made a set to fit my 5th wheel (Single Glazed)..

Roll of that thin bubble wrap coated in silver both sides,, Cut to fit each side and tidy up the edges with Silver Gaffer Tape..

Got a roll of sticky backed (Self Adhesive) Velcro one bit in each corner of window and obviousley corresponding side on silver screen`s..

Marked on each one where they went (12 windows in all )in felt pen so saves trying to do a jigsaw as to which goes where..

All laid flat when not in use under the bed..

Cut the condensation down to almost nothing accept in extreme cold, but even then stopped a hell of a lot...

Total cost, If I remember rightly was about £50.. and all the stuff sourced from B&Q.. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
foil side will reflect heat so it goes inside.
reverse them in summer.

think summer silver screens...foil side out to reflect suns rays.

very good idea as well.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi internal screens have the foil facing out - but still get condensation :Doh: Try both ways and report back please :thumb: The external screens stop all condensation :thumb:
terry

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi internal screens have the foil facing out - but still get condensation :Doh: Try both ways and report back please :thumb: The external screens stop all condensation :thumb:
terry

see above post terry.:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
see above post terry.:thumb:

Posts crossed - I often write half a post get called away then finish off and post only to find someone else said what I was saying :ROFLMAO: This little bit is my 3rd attempt :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:::bigsmile: note to self check no one else has posted in the meantime :ROFLMAO:
terry

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
foil side will reflect heat so it goes inside.
reverse them in summer.

think summer silver screens...foil side out to reflect suns rays.

very good idea as well.

Many Thanks

My argument precisely OH is not convinced so will test this next week and revert.

Stewart :thumb:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We use squares of a really expensive carpet underlay that friends had excess of. Only use it in the rooflights now, silver side down. When we used to use it in the Swift, side windows, silver inwards, worked a treat and we used it for long periods with no problems. Jane

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Can I ask a rather silly question?

How are you securing the items in question to the side windows and rooflight?
I am very interested in doing something similar, but a Transit conversion offers up some rather different problems.
I'm thinking the strong version of Velcro as a starter for ten.............:whatthe:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Can I ask a rather silly question?

How are you securing the items in question to the side windows and rooflight?
I am very interested in doing something similar, but a Transit conversion offers up some rather different problems.
I'm thinking the strong version of Velcro as a starter for ten.............:whatthe:

you can buy the little plastic 'suckers' similar to those used by the makers of silverscreens etc.

these are £1.10 for 10 or £7 for 100 :thumb:

button sucker.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Re: securing. With the roof ones as they are those beige rooflights with the mesh inner cover and sliding screen we just poke them up there (good fit) and reclose. With the ones we used to use in the sides we just slide between the windows and sliding screens / mesh. Edged with wide silver tape. Jane

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Screens are cut reasonably precisely so they are a snug fit in window cavity popping in behind blind guides, as can be seen from pictures cut outs go around window clamps.

We've been using them for last 5 nights and they really work helping keep heat loss down and virtually no condensation. Below freezing here tonight with Lochs frozen over, we are virtually on the shore of one such Loch as I write and all is snug and warm with heating turned down to a minimum (convector on EHU)

Pic 1, Screen with silver side facing
Pic 2 Screen in position
Pic 3 Blind half up

Hope this assists

Stewart

Attachments

• intscreen01.jpg
    intscreen01.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 77
  • intscreen02.jpg
    intscreen02.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 77
  • intscreen03.jpg
    intscreen03.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 72

Dude

Free Member
Oct 22, 2010
Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 year
That looks really good Stewart, Im off to get some for the RV to try and keep some heat in, I was going to use foam in the roof vents or do you think the foil will be as good.:thumb:

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
That looks really good Stewart, Im off to get some for the RV to try and keep some heat in, I was going to use foam in the roof vents or do you think the foil will be as good.:thumb:

Can recommend their use combined with external silver screens they kept us very snug with only the electric convector on as heating. Condensation eleminated.

We bought the material at Millets, see link (several funsters have pm'd me requesting where to buy)

Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back