Motorhomes not allowed (1 Viewer)

Aug 25, 2009
Newhey
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
We've been looking at new houses this weekend and tried 3 local new developments. In each case there was a covenant that motorhomes,caravans and sign written vans were not allowed to be parked on "your land."
Apparently ,we're told, this is the norm for new build homes.

Think I'll stay where I am with my "eyesore" on the drive!

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Can understand the no caravans bit,but I think motorhomes are a bit different as they are taxed.In my opinion it would be difficult to enforce,but then again thats only my opinion.
How do they class a motorhome...an RV or a VW combi which is used for everyday transport.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
nothing to do with wether its taxed Dave its to stop the estate (in the eyes of whoever requested to covenant) supposedly looking a mess. I think most covenants have approximately a ten year life on newbuilds(unless stated otherwise). Where my daughter is it was an 'open plan' estate no hedges, vans or leisure vehicles(caravan or motorhome), the estate is now over ten years old and hedges,vans,caravans are now starting to appear there. She is wanting hedging putting round her front as she is on a corner and people cut accross her front lawn and although the covenent has finished she still has to apply for permission from the council as they have the area logged as open plan just to cover her own back

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
drago35uk
Aug 25, 2009
Newhey
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
It's not about on the roadside but parked on your drive or garden is against the rules and written in the contract.
They are getting around the 10 year rule by using management companys to enforce.

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
nothing to do with wether its taxed Dave its to stop the estate (in the eyes of whoever requested to covenant) supposedly looking a mess. I think most covenants have approximately a ten year life on newbuilds(unless stated otherwise). Where my daughter is it was an 'open plan' estate no hedges, vans or leisure vehicles(caravan or motorhome), the estate is now over ten years old and hedges,vans,caravans are now starting to appear there. She is wanting hedging putting round her front as she is on a corner and people cut accross her front lawn and although the covenent has finished she still has to apply for permission from the council as they have the area logged as open plan just to cover her own back

...and the developer will charge you an arm and a leg for giving consent. Unless things have changed, there was never a 10 year rule when I was working. On most transfers of properties on new developments, once the developer had completed the development and left the site, the ability to enforce passed to other residents.

Ivy

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Can understand the no caravans bit,but I think motorhomes are a bit different as they are taxed.In my opinion it would be difficult to enforce,but then again thats only my opinion.
How do they class a motorhome...an RV or a VW combi which is used for everyday transport.
Come on Dave we all know VW are a bit special:winky:
They'l be exempt:Doh:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have got a covenant like that on my house which is a 1940's or 50's build.

Its quite draconian and authorises my neighbours to remove the offending item and destroy it:Eeek:

A guy at the bottom of my road has a caravan and has grown a big hedge to try to disguise it - I am tempted!

I don't keep my motorhome on my drive as it doesn't fit but I think I would think twice anyway.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It's like any other contract. The seller had the right to impose any terms he likes (so long as they are legal) and any prospective purchaser has the right to walk away.

We checked our deeds before we bought the van, to make sure there were no restrictions, and wouldn't move anywhere we couldn't take it.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
These were very old-style covenants and are put into deeds almost as routine nowadays. I think it was some local council fears of people having extra living space on the drive, and adding a bit of an eyesore on driveways if everyone had them.

If you look back at the caravans heyday when everyone had them, you can kind of understand why they would want to limit numbers.

There are ways of having them taken off, but I think you have to make an application to the courts - recommend seeking some advice before committing to purchase.

There are some legal people that are members, that would give you a more advised answer.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Come on Dave we all know VW are a bit special:winky:
They'l be exempt:Doh:

It’s bad enough staying on a campsite in the wake of one of these Ridiculous Vehicles, to have one parked in an adjacent driveway would be unbearable. They would stop the flowers from growing. :Smile:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Drago
We live on an estate which is now around 12 years old it does have a covenant banning caravans and vans over 5cwt, 3 Years ago when we bought our first van I made gates and a parking area in the back garden accessed from the side as we are on a corner, 2 days after putting it in we had a visit from the local council there had been a complaint, we got a letter from them later to say it was nothing to do with them so I left it there, 1 week later a neighbour from round the corner whose house backs on to a small part of our garden turned up at the door with a copy of the covenant, I was going to tell him to OFF but thought better of it because I had not got a dropped kerb so was driving over the pavement, I have since parked on the front drive with no trouble, so I am just keeping my head down, Just as a matter of interest when I visited the local planning office they told me I could have a garage which would be right up to the funny neighbours fence lol, Watch this space. The earlier post re the 10 years might be worth looking into. Pete :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I shall write to "Call-me-Dave" and demand that all M/Hers be forced to wear a big brass bell to warn the Public of our approach! Unclean! Unclean!:Angry:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
It’s bad enough staying on a campsite in the wake of one of these Ridiculous Vehicles, to have one parked in an adjacent driveway would be unbearable. They would stop the flowers from growing. :Smile:
Now I know your just being humorous my friend::bigsmile:
because on many a windy day a VW owner has asked if he can tie his wagon to mine in case it blows away:Doh:
I of course reply Im a Funster sir, let me put it in a locker for you:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
G

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
As far as I know this type of restriction is put into contracts so the nice new houses look good when the developer is selling them.

Once all the houses are sold the developer moves onto a new project and although the restrictions stay on the deeds its upto the developer to enforce them. Not something they are likely to do as they have nothing to gain except a large legal bill.

Also if the developer has gone out of business (a lot have over the last few years!!!) who is going to want to get involved with it??

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
I have got a covenant like that on my house which is a 1940's or 50's build

We too have on ours from 1956 stating no caravans or houses with wheels so think we are exempt from that one. Not that our neighbour thinks and when I contacted the council before he did , they said as long as its not parked on the road, or we are living in it we were ok. Re the covenant we would have to find the builder of our house, or any other living relatives to ask permission to leave motorhome on our land or to lift the covenant. Anyone know any good spiritulists? ::bigsmile:. When we build our new house we are gonna live in the motorhome on the land so we will have to make sure their is no such covenant on the land.

OP
OP
drago35uk
Aug 25, 2009
Newhey
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
The good thing about where I live now is all covenants died when the builder went bust in the 70's. Will stay where I am,it's so much less hassle.

Antony1969

Free Member
Jul 14, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thats because living in Huddersfield is classed as posh and they dont just want any old motors parking up , anyway how can they stop you parking up were ya want cos they wont see ya for all the mill smog .

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Our covenant

states no caravans or horseboxes. Cars to be parked in the garage and not on the drive way. Only works vans are allowed to be parked on the driveway. All supposed to be open plan. 30 years on nobody takes any notice. Would be kind of difficult for the neighbours to make me remove the motorhome from the drive when they aren't sticking to the covenants either. ::bigsmile:

A real happy place nobody seems to go out of their way to upset anyone. :Smile:

Zoltan Gaz66

Free Member
Dec 28, 2010
Funster No
As far as I know this type of restriction is put into contracts so the nice new houses look good when the developer is selling them.

Moving RV's and MH's away is so that the ridiculously tiny size of some of these new builds is not immediately obvious ::bigsmile:

Anyway, it's not a Motorhome, it's an unsignwritten van with windows!

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
We had a covenant like that on our house which is now 5 1/2 yrs old. It only lasted 5 years, but included things like not even being able to change the colour of your gates or front door!
We only have a few neighbours, but spoke to them before getting the first van 2 years ago. They were fine with it, but we checked it out legally as well just in case. And it seemed that the covenants used by builders these days are enforcable by the builders, and that it is they who would have to take you to court to enforce.
It is all to do with them wanting to keep the development pleasing to the eye, and so once they've finished, sold everything and moved on then they're not likely to be bothered about it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back