Oyster Vision 85. Plate Wanted and Comments Wanted. (1 Viewer)

1Oll

Free Member
Jan 12, 2010
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class (German B Class!)
Exp
6+ years
Ive just bought a secondhand Oyster Vision 85 after seeing it on eBay. It looks in great condition, according to the seller its ony been used half dozen times. It was sold along with a Pace 12v Satellite receiver and magic eye. Tried the box and it work fine but not sure if I prefer my Aldi Free to Air box.
It came without the aluminium mounting plate. Don't suppose anyone has one of these in the back of their garage?
Ive downloaded the instalation and instruction manual and it looks quite straightforward.
Any comments would be appreciated. I gather the Base Plate/ Mounting Plate is the same as the 65cm model. Anyone out there know the thickness of the plate?
Regards Brian Ollier in Sunny Macclesfield.

Last edited:
OP
OP
1Oll

1Oll

Free Member
Jan 12, 2010
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
6+ years
Update to Post. re Oyster Vision

The link to edit my post has disappeared. I decided to order a plate from Conrad Anderson. Ordered after 3pm delivered next morning. Excellent service. Today I set up the Oyster, standing it on an upside down dustbin. Plugged in all the wires through the window of my Autosleeper Amethyst and within a minute I had Sky News. Then spent an hour on the top of said motorhome trying to decide on the position. If its fitted towards the rear of the vehicle, on the reinforced area it will limit spectating with seat and beer. Plus this area is covered with plastic and it may not stick. Towards the front I can feel two reinforcing "ribs" running front to back. I am contemplating fixing it so I can screw two or three of the six screws into one of these "ribs". I would like to position it on the offside to avoid trees etc., and leave room for the future addition of a solar panel. The Amethyst is a 1995 model. i have seen photos of a similar model with a dish, but can't remember the position of it. Will try Autosleeper tomorrow for advice, but if anyone out there has either fitted a dish on a similar motorhome I would appreciate a post. Thanks.
1Oll in Sunny Maccclesfield. (it was today).

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I would like to position it on the offside to avoid trees etc., and leave room for the future addition of a solar panel.

Hi

My only observation concerns the mounting position.. It would be better on the center line of the roof.

If you mount off center you increase the chance of loosing the signal when the van rolls ( as it does when people move around or in the wind.).
It's like mounting it on the end of a see saw.. rather than at the center where there is little or no movement ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
1Oll

1Oll

Free Member
Jan 12, 2010
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
6+ years
Oyster on Autosleeper.

Finally fitted the Oyster Vision on the Amethyst today, with the help of a friend, Matt. Chose a forward slightly offside position behind front roof light. Offside to avoid it being battered with trees etc., but reminded by Hilldweller that in Europe.........
Glued the satellite plate on with a Sikaflex substitute sealant from Ian at Caravan Service Macclesfield. Roof wasn't 100% flat so with the recommended s/s self tapers and adhesive managed to easily form plate to roof. Slight easing of the holes in the cast aluminium of the base of the Oyster and four s/s washers managed to get a snug fit that shouldn't ever move. The base would have required a slight easing due to bolts being tiny amount out of square, even if fitted to an completely flat surface. Drilled hole for lead and plug then fastened electronics unit inside and to test everything fitted it to a 12v plug. Around a minute to find Astra and Sky News. After switching off and on again it took 14 seconds to unfold and lock on to Sky again. I am using the Aldi 12v Free to Air box removed from our caravan, prior to sale last week and not the Pace/Javelin mini digibox, that was supplied with this secondhand system.
The cable entry is immediately over the overhead locker containing the Digibox. Managed to push all the excess cable, about seven feet, into the void between the roof and the "ceiling". Then packed some more insulation in at the same time. It's all working but needs to be permanently wired, with the 'third' wire to the ignition so the dish will retract when the ignition is switched on. The dish will not open or remain open with the ignitiion on, for safety reasons. Decided to do the wiring another day after I have had a word with my electronic superstar, Hilldweller.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back