Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Ehup all,

We have american refillable gas bottles 11KG on the fiver, I sometimes fill them in a petrol station and have a proper filling point in the back of the truck, looks like i am filling the truck not a bottle.

The problem i have is that when the bottle is full there is still pressurised gas in the pipe and the pipe is about 2 metre's, when i unscrew the pipe from the bottle there is a amount of gas that needs to escape,
Is there any sort of tap that i can fit to the pipe to de-pressurise the pipe before i remove it. Or any other way i can stop having to unscrew the pipe with gas escaping.

Ps the pipe is fitted to the truck and the bottle is removed to be put back into the fiver.

Last edited:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi Mike
I would have thought you could put a gas valve on the end of the pipe (just before the fitting to the bottle) ---then you would leave the gas in the filler tube ??
I must have a look at how you have done it :thumb:
So far, we have not had a problem filling ours on the forecort----but we are very discrete !!!
Nigel & Pamala

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Or any other way i can stop having to unscrew the pipe with gas escaping.

This was one big selling point of the euroconnector. Have a look to see if the van side has a non return valve in it.

Or I'd think you could buy a non return valve.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi, I am not sure what you mean,but you are always going to get a small gas escape when you disconnect.If you are meaning the gas in the pipe from the bottle to the outside filling valve again the gas in the pipe has to go somewhere, so another escape when you disconnect.- You can reduce the amount by keeping the pipe as short as possible, but even a 2 mtr length of pipe is not going to hold a lot, just do the same as on the forecourt - no naked flames etc- If you get a release valve it is only going to release the pressure more slowly instead of the gush :ROFLMAO:
terry

OP
OP
ehuplad

ehuplad

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Hi Mike
I would have thought you could put a gas valve on the end of the pipe (just before the fitting to the bottle) ---then you would leave the gas in the filler tube ??
I must have a look at how you have done it :thumb:
So far, we have not had a problem filling ours on the forecort----but we are very discrete !!!
Nigel & Pamala

Hi Nigel & Pamala,

I see what you are saying but the valve would be trying to stop the flow the same way as when it is filled. I have a adapter and currently use that but it leaks a bit when filling so a bit wary of it.

The filler is located in the back near to the factory fitted electric plug on the bumber then a pipe runs into the bed with some fitting attached this can then be screwed into the bottle with a spanner, When i start to remove from the bottle after filling gas leaks out, i have to leave it then until it has stopped leaking before i can fully remove the pipe.

I believe there are others that fill this way and was wondering how they stop the leakage.

OP
OP
ehuplad

ehuplad

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
This was one big selling point of the euroconnector. Have a look to see if the van side has a non return valve in it.

Or I'd think you could buy a non return valve.

As above would the non return valve work as i would not be trying to stop it returning i would be trying to stop it in the direction of filling,

there is a non return valve in the end where the gas filler in the petrol station connects so the gas is contained in the pipe to the gas bottle if i put one just before the gas bottle it will not work as i need it to flow to fill the bottle but when i remove the pipe from the bottle i need to stop the gas escaping. Both in the same direction or am i missing something :cry::cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ehuplad

ehuplad

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Hi, I am not sure what you mean,but you are always going to get a small gas escape when you disconnect.If you are meaning the gas in the pipe from the bottle to the outside filling valve again the gas in the pipe has to go somewhere, so another escape when you disconnect.- You can reduce the amount by keeping the pipe as short as possible, but even a 2 mtr length of pipe is not going to hold a lot, just do the same as on the forecourt - no naked flames etc- If you get a release valve it is only going to release the pressure more slowly instead of the gush :ROFLMAO:
terry

Yeh i see what you are saying and i could live with the gush, but as i need to unscrew the pipe from the bottle with a spanner the gas leaks out slowly and for a long time, not good when tring to unscrew the pipe i burnt my hand the first time i tried to do it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back