Free Member
Jan 9, 2011
Pontypridd, South Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1990
:Sad:Hi all, My recently purchased Hymer 550 from Germany has two 11.5kg gas bottles that were filled in Germany and have now almost run out.
Apparently I cannot fill them locally unless I do it myself with an adaptor from somewhere.I am aware of all the dangers and pitfalls and many notes on this topic.
I can go to the expence of new refillable bottles,approx.£500 complete, or fit a tank underneath, same price roughly.
It seems a shame to remove my present set-up in my gas locker, two almost new bottles,regulators and gauges and pay out for replacements when everything is safe and efficient.
Has anyone else got over this problem with a German import.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It seems a shame to remove my present set-up in my gas locker, two almost new bottles,regulators and gauges and pay out for replacements when everything is safe and efficient.

You've no choice. But there is another way, buy UK bottles and needed bits, cheaper than refillable.

The is a big PLUS for fixed tank, you get an extra locker.

OP
OP
C

chassy

Free Member
Jan 9, 2011
Pontypridd, South Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1990
:Smile:Thanks the only problem then is going on the continent for a length of time and not being able to exchange them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
:Smile:Thanks the only problem then is going on the continent for a length of time and not being able to exchange them.

Yes. So bite the bullet and go refillable.

THEN discover how difficult it is to get a refill in Spain :Sad:

There is no perfect solution and it might even be getting worse, some filling stations are refusing LPG for non engine use. One or two have come to blows with stroppy staff.

So, a proper "engine looking" outside filler is a good idea.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Then three options

1. Fixed tank
2. Gaslow refillable
3. Adapter and take the risk

my choice would be fixed tank but it depends where your touring/living..

Spain has few Autogas stations so bottles are a better bet, it's easier to buy a local bottle than traipse all over looking for an Autogas station.

Best of both worlds, fixed tank or gaslow and BBQ point to plug in a local bottle

OP
OP
C

chassy

Free Member
Jan 9, 2011
Pontypridd, South Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1990
Yes you are quite right,having already spent quite a large sum on other bits I was hoping for an easier solution,and because I have seen offers at shows,will probably wait for the next show and to take advantage of some discount, Charles.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
a lot depends on the fittings on the bottles. There are lots of adapters available to fit so you can refill youself. Or maybe just change bottles and tails for propane. The regulator is probably the same.
Try on fleabay for adapters, this company does a wide range
Link Removed

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
chassy
i got a german import also, came with german regulators All Idid was to get hold of a 15kg calor butane bottle (easy to find, costed nothing) and exchanged for a 13KG propane bottle, bought an adaptor (from Gaslow)to connect the pig tail of the german fitting to the UK propane bottle fitting, Relatively much cheaper solution and you can decide which way to go later
regards

13Kg propane exchange bottle cost around £25 in the London area

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
a lot depends on the fittings on the bottles. There are lots of adapters available to fit so you can refill youself. Or maybe just change bottles and tails for propane. The regulator is probably the same.
Link Removed

This works for me.

OP
OP
C

chassy

Free Member
Jan 9, 2011
Pontypridd, South Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1990
Link Removed
Thanks for that, the problem is I cannot recognise what adaptor I need from a visual list,I will give them a ring tomorrow,I was thinking of buying a standard filling kit then attaching to my spare bottle via an adaptor to my German bottle. Chas.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
,I was thinking of buying a standard filling kit then attaching to my spare bottle via an adaptor to my German bottle. Chas.

just one small problem,
if you do fit a filling kit to the German bottles.. when filling, how will you know when they are FULL, ie at 80% ... ? ..

Gaslow bottles have an 80% shut off valve.

OP
OP
C

chassy

Free Member
Jan 9, 2011
Pontypridd, South Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1990
just one small problem,
if you do fit a filling kit to the German bottles.. when filling, how will you know when they are FULL, ie at 80% ... ? ..

Gaslow bottles have an 80% shut off valve.
Because the bottles are empty,and should hold 27Ltrs I would only put in 20 litres of gas. Chas.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Because the bottles are empty,and should hold 27Ltrs I would only put in 20 litres of gas. Chas.

Yes, I understand that, that's fairly straight forward with a single stand alone bottle. I've refilled plenty of propane bottles, but have always ensured they were empty by opening the bottle to atmosphere before filling.

Will your bottles are fitted with an filling kit and fixed in the locker .. ? I presume you plan to run them empty before refilling and if so how can you be certain they are empty ?

I'm not trying to be pedantic.. just trying to understand what you have in mind.

OP
OP
C

chassy

Free Member
Jan 9, 2011
Pontypridd, South Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1990
My bottles in the locker are fitted with gauges,and I leave it run out before swopping over to the other bottle, the gauges appear to be quite accurate but I would vent them before filling just in case.
I dont know where to obtain an adaptor,all sites that quote a page appear to have shut down.Chas.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Spain has few Autogas stations so bottles are a better bet, it's easier to buy a local bottle

I'm sure I've seen in the last few days that they are now demanding an inspection certificate (€150) before they will sell you a bottle. The words "the only way to get one is on the black market" were used.

Spain -- Just Say No.

They just don't seem to want us.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I'm sure I've seen in the last few days that they are now demanding an inspection certificate (€150) before they will sell you a bottle. The words "the only way to get one is on the black market" were used.

Spain -- Just Say No.

They just don't seem to want us.

Yes, it was John who made that report .. but there are plenty on the 'black market'

I have no love of Spain..

Expensive sites, lack of MH facilities, daft rules, anti motrohome towns, and no smoking in bars ... sound familiar .. ?

Give me France any day of the week.. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back