Free Member
Mar 20, 2010
essex
Funster No
MH
??? c i think!
Exp
totally new!!!
Hi everyone not been here for a while, but just wanted to let everyone know , my partner Ray and myself went to France for a month! We only got the motorhome in Feb 2010, did some local trips, nights out, then we got brave and discovered France, we met some lovely people, stayed in some beautiful places, saw wonderfull sites, we love the coast, and the countryside so did hardly any motorway driving! yes it took a bit longer, but hey we were on holiday so what did it matter, stayed at sites as well as aires which i must say were excellent. If anyone is thinking of doing it my advice would be go for it you have got nothing to lose. A very happy camper xx::bigsmile::thumb::thumb:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Well done with your first trip to France, We did the same in 2008, Landed at Dunkirk never drove in france before let alone Bessacarr Trailer and Smart car on tow, thoughrely enjoyed the 2 months we spent touring around, we went down over the Milaue viaduct as far as the Spanish border the back to Narbonne to visit friends we made on route, then back up the East side and back to Dunkirk, 3.500 miles from start to finish. Pete :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
That's a place we've yet to discover, only ever driven through on the way to somewhere else but now with a motorhome are looking forward to finding out what everyone else loves about the place.

Did you, and anyone else, find the language a problem with an "us and them" feeling which is the perception we read often about? I know like anywhere, but perhaps more so in France, they appreciate if we try a few words in their own language but it would nice to know the welcome you got in general.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
That's a place we've yet to discover, only ever driven through on the way to somewhere else but now with a motorhome are looking forward to finding out what everyone else loves about the place.

Did you, and anyone else, find the language a problem with an "us and them" feeling which is the perception we read often about? I know like anywhere, but perhaps more so in France, they appreciate if we try a few words in their own language but it would nice to know the welcome you got in general.

Hi
We have been over a couple of times now , and like you said it helps to try and speak French or what ever Country you visit but we have not found any probs shopping etc, just go for it. Pete :thumb:

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001

Yes, a greeting in French with an outstretched hand, a warm handshake, and your welcomed for life:Smile:

Nomadic

OP
OP
S

shelby

Free Member
Mar 20, 2010
essex
Funster No
MH
??? c i think!
Exp
totally new!!!
Welcome to the forum:Smile:

than:Smile:k u roadrunner, ive not been here for a while, but here in essex the sun is shinning, and its making me think of fun times in the motorhome, by the way I love great Danes!

OP
OP
S

shelby

Free Member
Mar 20, 2010
essex
Funster No
MH
??? c i think!
Exp
totally new!!!
Well done with your first trip to France, We did the same in 2008, Landed at Dunkirk never drove in france before let alone Bessacarr Trailer and Smart car on tow, thoughrely enjoyed the 2 months we spent touring around, we went down over the Milaue viaduct as far as the Spanish border the back to Narbonne to visit friends we made on route, then back up the East side and back to Dunkirk, 3.500 miles from start to finish. Pete :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

hi pete no must say the language was not a barrier we just tried our best, but we really u just smiled used gestures lots of flaying arm movements!! they normally understood what we meant. the supermarkets too are very good at understanding . We even had to deal with a garage and Ray managed to order break pads! except you think being a peugeot it would b cheap !!! wrong very very expensive, but we just put it down to one of those things, next time we would order on line and stay at campsite, think it would have worked out loads cheaper.

Last edited:

Scunny-Arfie

Free Member
Sep 21, 2008
Scunthorpe
Funster No
Hi Shelby, so pleased you enjoyed your trip.
I think you may of bought a "good un" when you bought the m/h (wink wink).
Many more Happy Travels. ::bigsmile:

Bobby dazzler

Free Member
Jan 8, 2011
Debyshire
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
Glad you enjoyed your Trip. if you put the effort in to speak the language. it goes a long way

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi everyone not been here for a while, but just wanted to let everyone know , my partner Ray and myself went to France for a month! We only got the motorhome in Feb 2010, did some local trips, nights out, then we got brave and discovered France, we met some lovely people, stayed in some beautiful places, saw wonderfull sites, we love the coast, and the countryside so did hardly any motorway driving! yes it took a bit longer, but hey we were on holiday so what did it matter, stayed at sites as well as aires which i must say were excellent. If anyone is thinking of doing it my advice would be go for it you have got nothing to lose. A very happy camper xx::bigsmile::thumb::thumb:

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:::bigsmile: Mel

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
That's a place we've yet to discover, only ever driven through on the way to somewhere else but now with a motorhome are looking forward to finding out what everyone else loves about the place. YOU WILL LOVE IT

Is the language a problem.. NO,... is there a "us and them" feeling, NO...the welcome you get is excellent.::bigsmile: ...Just speak to Frankie a lovely French lady that lives in Toulouse:thumb:

Mel:thumb:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
That's a place we've yet to discover, only ever driven through on the way to somewhere else but now with a motorhome are looking forward to finding out what everyone else loves about the place. YOU WILL LOVE IT

Is the language a problem.. NO,... is there a "us and them" feeling, NO...the welcome you get is excellent.::bigsmile: ...Just speak to Frankie a lovely French lady that lives in Toulouse:thumb:

Mel:thumb:

You beat me on that one Mel!!!::bigsmile:::bigsmile:I was about to tell Shelby to come to my place for a free stop over and we'll have a chat together .... i might even take some time to make her improve her french ..... what do you think Shelby?

Amicalement

Frankie::bigsmile:::bigsmile::winky:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
You beat me on that one Mel!!!::bigsmile:::bigsmile:I was about to tell Shelby to come to my place for a free stop over and we'll have a chat together .... i might even take some time to make her improve her french ..... what do you think Shelby?
Amicalement Frankie::bigsmile:::bigsmile::winky:

I think maybe that invite should be directed at me Yodeli and not Shelby, I enjoyed French at school but it's got forgotten in my Scandinavian efforts since heading north. C'est la vie :winky:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
:welcome:from us and your adventure sounds a bit like ours. I do have a go at French and although school was 46 years ago, I still remember some of it. I would suggest you look up ACSI cards at Vicarious Books since they can save you a fortune, especially when you need a site to do washing and so on. I have now got the Rosetta Stone course for German, although I did find the Germans a struggle but I will persist. They might like me in the end. Look forward to meeting you. ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Ivy

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
:welcomefunster:Hello and Welcome to Motorhome Fun

OP
OP
S

shelby

Free Member
Mar 20, 2010
essex
Funster No
MH
??? c i think!
Exp
totally new!!!
U know how happy we both r we plan some more trips to france
Hi Shelby, so pleased you enjoyed your trip.
I think you may of bought a "good un" when you bought the m/h (wink wink).:thumb::winky:
Many more Happy Travels. ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back