Short term insurance to cover another driver? (1 Viewer)

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
My brother is planning to come from down under for 2-3 weeks in the summer and would like to borrow our van so he can 'tour' the relatives and friends. He quite keen on having a separate policy so that any incident does not affect our no claims.

Are such policies available, and if so, does it matter that he does not 'own' the vehicle he is insuring?

Any thoughts or comments welcome please?

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
I'm not an expert on insurance but I'm sure this would pose the same problem as if you were renting your motorhome through an agency. You would in effect have two insurance policies on the vehicle at the same time and most insurers don't like this:Doh:

Phil

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you generally find if you dont legally own the vehicle the insurers wont quote.

you may have to take a chance and put him on yours.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Correct pappajohn, unless you own it or are the registered keeper, then you can't insure it.

You do need to add him to yours - the only way!

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I read an advert in mmm that would do short term

There was an advert not so long ago inthe MMM advertising insurance cover to those who wanted to test a motor home. So there is short term cover out there just a case of hunting for it.. May be worth looking back at some old MMM issues.

Bob:thumb:

Last edited:

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We used one of the short term insurers so that we could drive my son's car for a couple of days. It was easy - filled in online and got instant cover. I think they insured me not the car but not certain about that. The reason we did that was because his policy has a three person limit on it so he did in fact have another policy running at the same time. Can't comment on any claims because nothing went wrong.

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
One of the problems with short term vehicle insurance is that the Insurance Companies require the driver to have a full or provisional UK licence.

See the following site:

www.tempcover.com

I have used these before for short term insurance requirements but I have a UK licence so there was no problems.

They have a telephone No, so at least you can discuss the problem with someone.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
My brother is planning to come from down under for 2-3 weeks in the summer and would like to borrow our van so he can 'tour' the relatives and friends. He quite keen on having a separate policy so that any incident does not affect our no claims.

Are such policies available, and if so, does it matter that he does not 'own' the vehicle he is insuring?

Any thoughts or comments welcome please?

Why not investigate some temp insurance cover through a friendly motorhome hire company?

The couple that run this firm are fairly helpful: http://www.southwestmotorhomes.co.uk/

I've no idea if they would be interested in assisting with cover, but it would certainly be worth having a word with them. They act as an agency for privately-owned motorhomes that go out on rental. Or, you could try any other hire company.

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Why not just give your insurer a call?

Ivy

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Another likely problem is 3rd party insurance may be possible, to get him on the road, but you need fully comp.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back