Spanish Butane into van by barbecue Point (1 Viewer)

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I have got hold of a Cepsa gas bottle and regulator and tried to feed it into the van system by the Barbecue point after turning off my supply from the bulk autogas tank.

The gas flows up from the regulator to the point but will not flow from the point into the van system. It must have a non-return valve in it.

I am now looking at an Extend-A-Stay.

Is there any problem in connecting these into line from a UK/European gas tank? Are the pipe threads/sizes compatible?

John

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
John as far as i am aware, please excuse me if i'm wrong, but the 'extend a stay' kits are designed to fit the american systems. I have one on my fourwinds Hurricane & it threads into the gas line after the 'on/off valve to the tank. The other end has a UK calor propane bottle screw thread (same end as a UK pigtail) that screws into the spanish regulator. Hope this helps:Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi John

the extenda stay is yank thread and pipe size and won't fit your van ..

but I'm puzzled why you can't get the gas to flow, the BBQ point does have a self closing valve but it should open when you push in the male connector ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Hi John

the extenda stay is yank thread and pipe size and won't fit your van ..

but I'm puzzled why you can't get the gas to flow, the BBQ point does have a self closing valve but it should open when you push in the male connector ..

Thanks for the info Jim. I wonder if there are any adaptors that convert between the threads/sizes.

I will have another check tomorrow morning with the barbecue point. I haven't had a proper look at the point to see if there is a non return valve built in. Gas flows up to the plug in male fitting. I may have missed something as it was starting to get dark.

John

John

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I too am puzzled as to why gas wont flow !

i fitted an on/off tap in the BBQ supply hose near the T joint and was wondering two things.....have you used the BBQ confirming it works ?...and if not, does it have a tap in the hose ?

if it can flow out to a BBQ it can flow the other way.

as others have said, the extend-a-stay is designed to fit american 'imperial' threads (i think 1" and 1.25" american pipe) and pipe (usually 5/8th) and is a HIGH pressure system.

it fits between the tanks on/off tap and the onboard regulator.
the pigtail fits directly to the bottle....no regulator.

you may be able to find various threaded 'adaptors' to decrease the american fittings to our standard european sizes but they may be hard to source....especially in spain/portugal.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi John,I used to feed my Rockwood this way,through the BBQ point,but it was a streight forward on-off tap.I have an extenda stay on the Tiffin so use that,but on the Tiffin BBQ point there is an on off valve.Check to see if your BBQ tap is switched on inside the camper,there should be a tap as well as the self sealing push bayonet.

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Hi John

I'm puzzled why you can't get the gas to flow, the BBQ point does have a self closing valve but it should open when you push in the male connector ..

Well it turned out to be a testicle error on my part. You can feed in through the barbeque point but remember to turn off the tank supply first.

I hadn't got the regulator to seat properly on the CEPSA bottle. It appeared to be locked on, but was still not allowing the gas to flow. They are quite fiddly. More so than Calor clip-on regulators. It is a three stage process. 1) lift outer ring. 2) drop it onto the cylinder valve and push it down and release the ring. 3) lift the ring again while keeping the downward pressure on it and push hard down over another lip.

With fresh minds after a nights sleep, we went over everything again step by step checking at each point.

After humping the bottles (2) through Cartegena and then getting the regulator, exchanging them for full bottles and setting things up, I was just to tired to think things through properly last night.

I have contacted Star Spangled Spanner and Gas Low last night about fitting an Extend-A-Stay to the vehicle anyway.

At least that saves a 268k run and 12.80€ toll for 57.5 litres = 38€ of gas. This also involves taking down the safari room and re-errecting it on return to site. London to Birmingham is 190K.

A refill bottle of gas is 13.70€ for 26.5 litres or 12.5kg.

Autogas is 0.668 Litre. Bottled gas is 0.52 litre here in Spain.

Many thanks to all who replied.

John

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
With fresh minds after a nights sleep, we went over everything again step by step checking at each point.

John

Hi John

This was the classic 'gumption trap' that Robert Pirsig goes into in great detail in his book Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.. We all fall into from time to time... it's amazing how a good nights rest and a fresh think solves problems .. glad you have it sussed :thumb:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Never heard the term gumption trap but I have certainly appreciated it for some time :Smile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
It won't work with 2 regulators

Loddy
It will if you buy the Spannish bootle conector with the red knob on the top.
Its not a regulater as such but looks like one so that you can adjust the flow.
Its the only way with an extenda stay as the inlet is before the fixed regulater,if that makes sence.
I know what I mean....thats the main thing.

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I too am puzzled as to why gas wont flow !

i fitted an on/off tap in the BBQ supply hose near the T joint and was wondering two things.....have you used the BBQ confirming it works ?...and if not, does it have a tap in the hose ?

if it can flow out to a BBQ it can flow the other way.

as others have said, the extend-a-stay is designed to fit american 'imperial' threads (i think 1" and 1.25" american pipe) and pipe (usually 5/8th) and is a HIGH pressure system.

it fits between the tanks on/off tap and the onboard regulator.
the pigtail fits directly to the bottle....no regulator.

you may be able to find various threaded 'adaptors' to decrease the american fittings to our standard european sizes but they may be hard to source....especially in spain/portugal.

Thanks pappajohn

I have contacted Star Spangled Spanner and Gas Low last night about fitting an Extend-A-Stay to the vehicle. I was thinking of geting it done over the summer in the UK now that I have it sorted by the barbecue point.

I already have a few adaptors to convert UK propane and Calor clip-on Butane to continental/Calor thead fitting on my Hymer before fitting the tank.

John

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
It will if you buy the Spannish bootle conector with the red knob on the top.
Its not a regulater as such but looks like one so that you can adjust the flow.
Its the only way with an extenda stay as the inlet is before the fixed regulater,if that makes sence.
I know what I mean....thats the main thing.

I saw that on the Gas Low website last night and sent off a query to see if it was an adaptor (high pressure) or a regulator (low pressure) output.

Many Thanks

John

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
It won't work with 2 regulators

Loddy

Thanks Loddy I was aware of that. The van regulator is 50mbar and the Spanish one is 29mbar.

The simple way is to turn off the tank, before turning on the Spanish bottle.

The Extend-A-Stay is high pressure and the T piece goes between the tank tap and the existing regulator.

The system is working now through the barbecue point and the difference in pressure is not noticable.

Bottled gas is also cheaper in Spain than Autogas. It is also very easily available if you have a bottle to exchange.

John

Loddy

Free Member
Jul 5, 2008
south west
Funster No
MH
RV C class
Exp
4+ 30 years tugging
Thanks Loddy I was aware of that. The van regulator is 50mbar and the Spanish one is 29mbar.

The simple way is to turn off the tank, before turning on the Spanish bottle.

The Extend-A-Stay is high pressure and the T piece goes between the tank tap and the existing regulator.

The system is working now through the barbecue point and the difference in pressure is not noticable.

Bottled gas is also cheaper in Spain than Autogas. It is also very easily available if you have a bottle to exchange.

John

Yeh
thought you had a RV with extend a stay BBQ outlet ( as I have ) and you can't back feed them because they are high pressure as is US BBQs, totally confusing I know

Regards Loddy

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
For those who are reading and now a bit confused about what an Extenda stay is or where it is fitted .. I made a quick sketch ..

Confusion is the first step of a gumption trap ..:roflmto:

Attachments

• screenshot_01.jpg
    screenshot_01.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 10

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread