Free Member
Jan 6, 2011
Spain
Funster No
MH
LP
Exp
1 year
I have parked up my 2007 Ace Airstream motorhome for the past 7 weeks and now the battery is totally flat. Presumably because I did not disconnect the battery and left the alarm active.
I am now unable to jump start the MH (Fiat Ducato)

I know if I connect MH to mains electricity supply, the leasure battery will be recharged but will the cab battery be recharged also?

I am new to motorhoming so any help would be extremely welcome.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Re onboard charger, sorry can't answer your question.. some do, some don't .. but irrespective , I would suggest removing the battery and charging up with a proper charger .. either at home or at a garage.

Not sure why you have ruled out jump starting but in any case I wouldn't either as it can damage the alternator as it tries to charge an effectively dead battery.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Hi raps561,, and welcome to the funsters.. :thumb:

I may be wrong but I think providing your engine battery is ok,, I think from the mains it should be charged before the leisure battery`s..

But I may be wrong, I`m sure a member will be along when they get out of bed and put you right. ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
battery charging

Re charging from the mains as previously mentioned it all depends on the how the motorhome has been wired up, not much use me saying "I would think a 2007 vehicle would have that facility" but i`m thinking it would have.

As for jump starting a modern vehicle I have heard this can puit error messages into the computer, don`t know why as all you are doing is connecting another fully charged battery to the vehicle, perhaps others can shed some light on this.

Personally I would just charge the battery up.

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
I have parked up my 2007 Ace Airstream motorhome for the past 7 weeks and now the battery is totally flat. Presumably because I did not disconnect the battery and left the alarm active.

I know if I connect MH to mains electricity supply, the leasure battery will be recharged but will the cab battery be recharged also?

The motorhome battery is probably too flat for a straightforward jump start - what you need to do is to connect up for the jump start but do not try and start the motorhome straight away. Leave the donor vehicle's engine running (pref on fast tick-over) with jump leads connected for at least ten or fifteen minutes and THEN try to start the motorhome. The 10/15 minute delay gives the motorhome battery time to absorb the charge from the donor vehicle instead of relying on the donor battery - which, if it's a petrol engined car, will be inadequate for starting a big diesel engine from cold anyway.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

I have had the same problem...as I did last year over the winter period...mine is Fiat 2008....jump started each time no problem.....it seems the immobilizer is running the battery flat......and after, going back to normal running through the Spring, Summer and Autumn no problems .....one touch of the ignition and fires up straight away....do what the other funster said run the donor car ( would be better if it was about 2000cc not a mini or a small vehicle... bigger battery) for a little while at a very fast rev.....make sure all your ignition lights come on...then go through procedure of the glow plugs wait for the light to go off then start......:thumb::thumb::thumb::ROFLMAO:

Mel:thumb:
My donor car was a 2 ltr diesel bigger Ah and better battery

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back