Booking ferry as motorhome (1 Viewer)

Zoltan Gaz66

Free Member
Dec 28, 2010
Funster No
As you have seen, my motorhome is different

Gaz%2066%20pics
DSC_0373.jpg

Am I going to get grief at Dover having booked it on as a motorhome? Ive declared the dimensions and it has all the necessary motorhome equipment.

Are they that fussy? It is booked on Sea France

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I should imagine if it is fitted out inside as a motorhome.... It` would be classed as a motorhome, and you wont have any problems. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
oh dear,,, my friend has got 4 ,,, yes 4 of these and many others,,he collects them and drives them back from polland,,paul has to pay commerciall rates on the ferry because of the chassis ,,lets see how you get on :thumb::thumb:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
oh dear,,, my friend has got 4 ,,, yes 4 of these and many others,,he collects them and drives them back from polland,,paul has to pay commerciall rates on the ferry because of the chassis ,,lets see how you get on :thumb::thumb:

But surely a lot of large motorhomes and RV`s are built on commercial chassis..

I suppose to be on the safe side perhaps would be worth a call to the ferry company..

But there again they are likely to say yes,, it`s a commercial vehicle. ÂŁÂŁÂŁÂŁÂŁ

But if you just turn up will they be bothered ? :RollEyes:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
If it's registered as a Motorhome it shouldn't be an issue .. have your V5 handy.

You may however consider a new livery before venturing outside the EU.

We met a Swiss couple in Morocco who had a converted army truck and after becoming friendly I asked why it had such a poor paint job .. it was painted in a garish BLUE and looked hand painted.

Apparently they had been refused entry as it was NATO green.. so they had hand painted at the border with tin of Dulux and a roller ... :Doh:

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
I would think if the V5 says motorhome that is what it is. On the subject of chassis intentions though, I had a friend when i worked on the buses who had been driving chassis from finished chassis plant to the plant where they added the bodies.

some of the chassis were for buses, and some for trucks - but exactly the same chassis without a body. He was only allowed to drive the ones destined to be buses on his PSV licence! This is a really naked chassis with a plywood seat stuck in front of the steering wheel and no bodywork whatsoever so no difference at all. Amazing...

David

OP
OP
Zoltan Gaz66

Zoltan Gaz66

Free Member
Dec 28, 2010
Funster No
If it's registered as a Motorhome it shouldn't be an issue .. have your V5 handy.

You may however consider a new livery before venturing outside the EU.

We met a Swiss couple in Morocco who had a converted army truck and after becoming friendly I asked why it had such a poor paint job .. it was painted in a garish BLUE and looked hand painted.

Apparently they had been refused entry as it was NATO green.. so they had hand painted at the border with tin of Dulux and a roller ... :Doh:

Yes, some Aussies on the Russian Truck forum had to modify their paint job to get into Syria from Turkey, same deal, spraycans at the border

OP
OP
Zoltan Gaz66

Zoltan Gaz66

Free Member
Dec 28, 2010
Funster No
I would think if the V5 says motorhome that is what it is. On the subject of chassis intentions though, I had a friend when i worked on the buses who had been driving chassis from finished chassis plant to the plant where they added the bodies.

some of the chassis were for buses, and some for trucks - but exactly the same chassis without a body. He was only allowed to drive the ones destined to be buses on his PSV licence! This is a really naked chassis with a plywood seat stuck in front of the steering wheel and no bodywork whatsoever so no difference at all. Amazing...

David

I may have problems with that option: V5 says 'Truck' 'Historic vehicle'

Better brush up on my persuasiveness and diplomacy It will be dark on the way out ::bigsmile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
If its MoTd is as a class 4 car/Motor home you may be running fowl of the law and deemed not to have an MoT even if you have a current certificate
A quick trip to DVLA should see it re registerd correctly as a Private heavy goods historic truck/motorhome
Geo

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
They'd be blind if they didnt notice it was, er er er a motorhome :whatthe:

werntonb

Free Member
Feb 17, 2011
Alexandria, Virginia
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2005
As you have seen, my motorhome is different

Gaz%2066%20pics
DSC_0373.jpg

Am I going to get grief at Dover having booked it on as a motorhome? Ive declared the dimensions and it has all the necessary motorhome equipment.

Are they that fussy? It is booked on Sea France

Yeah, it is far from this one,

Link Removed

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have noticed on the SeaFrance website, that it says if your vehicle has a GVW of more than 3.5 tonnes, you cannot book via the consumer site, but have to use the commercial site - which is in French, and costs more. I have always ignored this on the presumption that it is for lorries and proceeded with the normal motorhome booking. I have never had a problem and no-one has ever looked at the weight plate. However, turning up in an ex-army truck might raise their suspicions!

Good luck.

Philip

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
In my experience (with P&O before the glorious, non vomit inducing tunnel was built) the people who actually get to see the "motorhome" (ie the lads and lasses doing the loading onto the ship) don't know or care how much you paid for your crossing...

...all my self build motorhomes (non ever finished) including a six ton Iveco went onboard as a camper van and whenever asked (rarely) if it was over six metres I would say (truthfully) I wasn't sure how long six metres was as I wasn't taught "foreign" in school! This reply would be met with agreement and understanding from the older people and sadness and pity from the young ones and onboard I went...:winky:

Using your aging appearance and acting like a doddery old bloke can help you get away with murder! Of course when it comes to "acting" I use the method system and have actually started living fulltime as a doddery old bloke...

Let us know how it went please...

JJ

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back