LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
What is the longest you have left your R.V./Motorhome standing ???

It is coming up to three months since ours was used/moved.. :cry:

And I have been summoned to the doctors next Tuesday regarding the outcome of my test`s a fortnight ago,, so may be a few more weeks just stood,, I have flashed the engine and generator up every fortnight..

I could move it forewards and back about 6 - 8 ft but that is all,,, or the wife could.. :RollEyes:

What are your opinions???

Thanks..

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Imo, whilst its not ideal, I dont think its a big problem. It may be good idea to turn the wheels to help the tyres but I woudnt worry about it.
Jim
:Smile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Longest have left the RV is 5 months without starting or moving,it has solars so had no problem starting although it did take a while for the smoke to clear.Since the VW came into the fold the RV sits for longer.Went to move the RV yesterday for first time since going to Blackpool in the begining of October,fired up streight away and drove it 25 miles.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
The one we had in USA was regularly left for 6 months at a time no problems at all:thumb:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Due to my hip replacement operation our van hasn't moved for almost seven weeks now. I have to see the surgeon in a week or so and hopefully he will give me the go ahead to drive again. I will then just have to inform my insurers of the operation and we will be on the move again.

Brisey

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
the biggest problem with leaving any vehical standing is clutch and brake cyls seizing through corrosion on the pistons, even if you cannot drive operate clutch brakes, accelerator, handbrake regularly, and of course leave handbrake of. Moving forward or back a few feet to reposition tyres is also a good idea. Do remember to keep batteries topped up as they fail easily this cold weather.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I dont see a problem, think of all the vans at dealers I bet some dont move for months and months, I left mine for 7 weeks till the thaw came and then waited for a dry day and took in on a 40 mile road trip, boy has I missed driving it, I prefere it to my car.............

remember its much better to give a proper run at longer periods than just running the engin for a few minuettes

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Constant repeated weekly starting from cold and not allowing the engine to thoroughly warm up will for sure increase engine wear:cry:
extra fuel is delivered for cold starts (auto choke) any excess fuel can and will get down the bores past the rings and dilute the engine oil to a point where it is no more than an engine wash:Eeek:
Running up to full temp (normal) causes any excessive fuel in the oil to evaporate out, thereby preventing oil dilution
The worst 5 mins in an engines life is the first 5 mins from a cold start
Geo

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Constant repeated weekly starting from cold and not allowing the engine to thoroughly warm up will for sure increase engine wear:cry:
extra fuel is delivered for cold starts (auto choke) any excess fuel can and will get down the bores past the rings and dilute the engine oil to a point where it is no more than an engine wash:Eeek:
Running up to full temp (normal) causes any excessive fuel in the oil to evaporate out, thereby preventing oil dilution
The worst 5 mins in an engines life is the first 5 mins from a cold start
Geo

Thanks Geo & others..

When I run it up I always leave it for half hour or so,,,, and leave it till the temp guage gets up to normal,,, and every five mins or so put a few revs on it... not just leave it ticking over..

Famous last words,, it has never failed to start on the button.. :thumb:

When I last used it out on the road it was parked up with three quarters of a tank of fuel,, it`s now down to just over half a tank.. :cry::ROFLMAO:

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Unusually for us, our van was left from mid october until this week (mainly because we chose to fly away for a couple of weeks at the end of November).

It started OK but for the first few minutes the engine was very, very rough. (and things that had never rattled before started rattling!) It gradually recovered and then ran OK (on a trip of about 50 miles).

I concluded that it was not good to leave the van unused for quite so long, I think in future I will make sure we take it out at least once a month. Not normally a problem as we generally use the van at least this often

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
We too had resolved to use it once a month, but with the snow falls in November and December, it was not possible.:Angry:
She hasn't moved since start of November.

Hope to get to where the old girl is this weekend and start her up.

Left the blinds down and read somewhere this is not a good idea, so fingers crossed.
Lucille

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
What is the longest you have left your R.V./Motorhome standing ???

It is coming up to three months since ours was used/moved.. :cry:

And I have been summoned to the doctors next Tuesday regarding the outcome of my test`s a fortnight ago,, so may be a few more weeks just stood,, I have flashed the engine and generator up every fortnight..

I could move it forewards and back about 6 - 8 ft but that is all,,, or the wife could.. :RollEyes:

What are your opinions???

Thanks..

I could arrange to pop over and use it Mo.::bigsmile:

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008