Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Hi,
I am a first timer; I own a 1998 Autosleeper Ravenna and live in the north of Scotland. The last 6 weeks we have been snowed in and my "Roma" has sat out in temperatures that would make an eskimo shiver. This morning snow all gone I turned the engine over to check all was well. After a little growl the engine purred into life and we set off for a 20 mile drive. Half way through the drive we stopped and tried the electrics in the van.................. A BIG FAT NOTHING. :Sad:
The fridge worked nicely whilst the engine was running as it should. But when I turned the master switch on there was no power, the liesure battery was flat. Despite the engine running still no electrics worked and the power meter still registered zero. :Sad:
I appreciate the battery is flat but as the master switch was OFF I am puzzled as to why the battery, that was working fine six weeks before, should suddenly go flat.
Has anyone any ideas?

Norman

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi and welcome to the fun....

batteries have an internal resistance and will self discharge over time.

if the battery is quite old the discharge rate may high enough to flatten it in 6 weeks.

it could be the battery is beyond recovery due to being so flat, around 10v usually indicates a defuct battery and recovery is very unlikely.

try charging it with a normal mains charger.

edit....just reread your post and if the engine was running when you tried the 12v stuff it wont work.
usually the 12v equipment is isolated(except the fridge) when the engines running.

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks pappajohn! At first the engine was switched off but I thought maybe there was enough charge coming through the engine to make the lights work.
I bought the van in July 2009 and the leisure battery was not new then so I don't know how old the battery is, but it is likely to have some age. I will try re charging it and see what happens but I don't want to buy a new battery only to find the fault was with the van rather than just an old battery.

Norman

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if the battery is old and on its last legs then it may well need replacing.

a totally flat battery will freeze as readily as normal water so the cold snap may have been its death.

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Hi and welcome to Motorhome Fun

We lost our leisure battery in the cold snap December 2009 to February 2010 - the MH was new but because of the extreme cold and the fact that we could not even get into the storage yard to start up the engine it died on us. As Pappajohn says if its old it probably has seen its useful life.

We have now got a solar panel fitted and it keeps the leisure battery topped up even on a grey day.

Kind regards

Kath & Howie

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Six weeks you did well my 5ver used to kill 2 batteries off in 2 weeks when i thought i had switched everything off, turned out one of the gas alarms ran on 12v so while there was life in the batteries it worked till they were drained, Ash kindly fitted an isolation switch for me when he fitted our solar panel (so it could be turned off when van in storage) and havent had a problem since. Put 2 new batteries on last year and they have remained good and charged even through this cold snap.

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Leisure Battery

Thanks everyone, I get the message - the battery has died - :Sad: but I now wonder in my ignorance whether in future it might be an idea to disconnect the battery in the winter? I am not aware of anything that is running when the master switch has been turned off.

Anyone have any ideas?

Norman

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
Thanks everyone, I get the message - the battery has died - :Sad: but I now wonder in my ignorance whether in future it might be an idea to disconnect the battery in the winter? I am not aware of anything that is running when the master switch has been turned off.

Anyone have any ideas?

Norman

Before condemning the battery I would check the fuses.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
A solar panel is great for keeping your batteries topped up, unfortunately I know to my cost that they don't work with 6 inches of snow on them :cry:

Mixter

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Now a year - cant believe it!
If possible, its worth hooking it up on a timer during the severe cold, as it will flatten the best of batteries after not very long.

Ive just found this out with my starter battery. It was new in the spring, and its a good one to boot. I was aware of a 'fix' (found on here, and the 'other' place), whereby the leisure and starter batteries are hooked together through a fused cable, so that the hook-up keeps both topped up. I didnt get around to the job because i reasoned with myself that it doesnt get that cold for that long, and, i could always nip in and run the engine now and then. Not so. I tried the starter last week after about weeks standing - and nothing. Well, it turned over, but was never going to fire, there wasnt enough in it.
So, ive done the fix - a fiver and half an hours work - far better done in warmer times. Now the starter battery is kept happy and healthy along with its 'mate' further down the van.

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Leisure Battery

Thanks everyone for your advice.
You will be pleased to know the battery is not Dead::bigsmile: What I know now but did not know then, though most of you more expereinced motorhomers know, you can't use your 12v circuit in the habitation area whilst the engine is running. I tried the lights and everything without turning on the engine and it all works fine.
icon11.gif

Thought I would share my embarrasment with any other first timers who might make the same mistake.
Happy New Year to all.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
A solar panel is great for keeping your batteries topped up, unfortunately I know to my cost that they don't work with 6 inches of snow on them :cry:

Or if you accidentally turn the radio on to disc , instead of off.:Doh:
Like Ralph did.
With the snow on the solar panel the trickle wasn't enough . 1 totally dead battery .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
looking at getting a trickle charger solar panel but what size - power I mean.....

just to keep a fully charged battery topped up when not in use (depending on alarms etc being on)....36 watts in summer...80 watts in winter.
theoreticaly, a 36w will give 3amps in full summer sun, in reality it may be 2 to 2.5amps....in winter, a few hundred milliamps...not enough to keep charged for more than a few days.

to charge the batteries when in use....the biggest you can afford.

i have a 170watt panel on the roof and 4 x 120amp batteries.
just about keeps them charged during summer.

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
Thanks everyone for your advice.
You will be pleased to know the battery is not Dead::bigsmile: What I know now but did not know then, though most of you more expereinced motorhomers know, you can't use your 12v circuit in the habitation area whilst the engine is running. I tried the lights and everything without turning on the engine and it all works fine.
icon11.gif

Thought I would share my embarrasment with any other first timers who might make the same mistake.
Happy New Year to all.

I had mine 'fixed' to avoid this. A very simple operation that involved moving a couple of 12v relay connections I understand. I find it more convenient now although the downside is that when I'm by myself I have to remember to switch off the interior lights before moving off . I guess that the 'convenience' is really for my passengers!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back