Hello from the Jurassic Coast! (1 Viewer)

JurassicCoastin

Free Member
Jan 4, 2011
Jurassic Coast - Dorset
Funster No
Hi,

I'm an employee of the National Trust on the fabulous Jurassic Coast in Dorset.
I'm lucky enough to drive a branded Fiat Ducato van to various shows / events & locations, promoting the work of the Trust and also the Jurassic Coast World Heritage Site.

I'm not here to push either on you guys, having been in post for 6 months, I've had a brilliant time and met some other lovely motohome owners. Now I want to join a community - I have a few (probably silly) questions about the workings of my van and look forward to chatting with other owners.

I write a (almost!) daily blog about where I have been and what I've been doing - www.ntjurassiccoastin.co.uk and I'm also looking for new shows & events to attend in 2011.

Here's a pic of my lovely van:

5025157179_1ee5197faf.jpg

I look forward to chatting with you.

Ben

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the site, there are a number of meets around the region including this one
Link Removed
Hope to see you there.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi Wildman,

Thanks for the welcome & swift reply! I was working my way through the 'Rallies & Events' board as you replied!
you are welcome, there will be another for Victorian week in June, then of course there is the September shepton Mallet Show that I also marshal.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Ben, welcome to MotorhomeFun.
There are quite a few National Trust members on here. I am sure your input and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Brisey

OP
OP
JurassicCoastin

JurassicCoastin

Free Member
Jan 4, 2011
Jurassic Coast - Dorset
Funster No
Hi Ben, welcome to MotorhomeFun.
There are quite a few National Trust members on here. I am sure your input and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Brisey

Hi Brisey,

Thanks for the welcome, I'd be happy to try and offer advice & also be interested to hear people's views on how Motorhome-friendly we are (always a brave move!)

We have a major campaign at the moment promoting the outdoors - www.outdoornation.org.uk and I'm on the road full-time too...

Ben

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
JurassicCoastin

JurassicCoastin

Free Member
Jan 4, 2011
Jurassic Coast - Dorset
Funster No
you are welcome, there will be another for Victorian week in June, then of course there is the September shepton Mallet Show that I also marshal.

Thanks Wildman, my 'patch' is the Jurassic Coast in Dorset although I do attend shows / event further afield where the local NT property may request the support of a promotional vehicle (or I can make a good case to be there!!)

I do attend lots of shows including Great Dorset Steam Fair, Dorchester Show, Melplash Show, Bournemouth Air Festival etc... so maybe I'll see some forum-members on my travels!

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Hello Ben....I got press-ganged by the nice people at Dinefwr to join the NT last year :Smile: and I think I've got my money's worth. Visited Studland/Old Harry Rocks a few months ago....stunning.

Motorhoming feedback....hmmmm....you don't have a magic pass that allows NT members to overnight in NT car parks do you? Well....it was worth a try. :winky:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi Ben and welcome to motorhome fun, thats one part of the country we have yet to explore properly and your job sounds really interesting, the question one-man-and-his-dob puts is the 95 dollar one that would defiantly get us to join.

bigfish

Free Member
May 20, 2009
Eastleigh, Hants
Funster No
Exp
8 years, but had caravans & Tents before that
Hi ben and welcome to the fun house,
I spend a lot of my time touring in your area,
"especially westbay area" & am a NT member
So hope to see you around somewhere :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
JurassicCoastin

JurassicCoastin

Free Member
Jan 4, 2011
Jurassic Coast - Dorset
Funster No
Hello Ben....I got press-ganged by the nice people at Dinefwr to join the NT last year :Smile: and I think I've got my money's worth. Visited Studland/Old Harry Rocks a few months ago....stunning.

Motorhoming feedback....hmmmm....you don't have a magic pass that allows NT members to overnight in NT car parks do you? Well....it was worth a try. :winky:

Hi 1_man - glad to hear you feel you've had good value... Studland / Old Harry is fabulous (and I can say that personally, not just with my 'NT Hat' on!)

Over-nighting is a difficult one as whilst the majority of owners would, I'm sure, be very responsible I'm sure there are all sorts of risk assessment etc issues the Trust would have to consider (and that's NOT the 'official line' - that's my guess)

However, I will do a bit of digging and see what I can find out (I seem to recall from memory hearing we have a few o/n spaces at Stourhead - don't think I dreampt that!)

Will let you know....

OP
OP
JurassicCoastin

JurassicCoastin

Free Member
Jan 4, 2011
Jurassic Coast - Dorset
Funster No
Hi Ben and welcome to motorhome fun, thats one part of the country we have yet to explore properly and your job sounds really interesting, the question one-man-and-his-dob puts is the 95 dollar one that would defiantly get us to join.

Hi Carol,

Oooh - you MUST come & visit! The South West is fabulous!
I must admit, I've been really lucky to land this job and the motorhome side of it is still new to me but I do love my 'van!

See my reply to 1_man about the over-nighting!

Ben

OP
OP
JurassicCoastin

JurassicCoastin

Free Member
Jan 4, 2011
Jurassic Coast - Dorset
Funster No
Hi ben and welcome to the fun house,
I spend a lot of my time touring in your area,
"especially westbay area" & am a NT member
So hope to see you around somewhere :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Hi bigfish,

Yes, very my my 'area' our offices are on the Golden Cap Estate and I 'coast' from Lyme Regis to Lulworth. See my blog for the daily location planner.

Look forward to saying 'Hi' in person!

Ben

OP
OP
JurassicCoastin

JurassicCoastin

Free Member
Jan 4, 2011
Jurassic Coast - Dorset
Funster No
Wow!

What a lot of 'welcomes' - thank you everyone. I'm glad there is some interested in my project!

As I mentioned previously, the Trust has launched the Outdoor Nation campaign and I can see how motorhomes would fit in so well with this.

My blog site is updated almost daily and I will defiinitely investigate further what facilities the Trust has for motorhome owners in the South West.

Thanks again for all the messages!

Ben

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Hi Ben and welcome to the forum......As a life member of the NT and not used my membership for a couple of years, I intend on using it more this year but with the RV being 35' long plus a trailer on the back we can not always go where we want (the only draw back of a larger MH)

Look forward to seeing you around this year.

All the best Rick & Rosie

OP
OP
JurassicCoastin

JurassicCoastin

Free Member
Jan 4, 2011
Jurassic Coast - Dorset
Funster No
Hi Ben and welcome to the forum......As a life member of the NT and not used my membership for a couple of years, I intend on using it more this year but with the RV being 35' long plus a trailer on the back we can not always go where we want (the only draw back of a larger MH)

Look forward to seeing you around this year.

All the best Rick & Rosie

Hi Rick & Rosie,

Wow - Life Members - great to hear! Your RV does sound pretty big and the further South West you get, the narrower the roads get!

You can stay up to date with where I am and what I'm doing on the blog and I'll try and put some useful Motorhome info on there too...

Ben

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Hi Ben

It's been down to cornwall a few times and I used to live on dartmoor (no not princetown) so narrow roads don't bother me too much but finding sites that will accept us doe's sometimes, must admit I have often thought the national trust could boost the coffers by offering parking on some of their land, also it would boost mebership if they restricted it to members and create local jobs.....just a few benifits?

All the best Rick & Rosie.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JurassicCoastin

JurassicCoastin

Free Member
Jan 4, 2011
Jurassic Coast - Dorset
Funster No
Hi Ben

It's been down to cornwall a few times and I used to live on dartmoor (no not princetown) so narrow roads don't bother me too much but finding sites that will accept us doe's sometimes, must admit I have often thought the national trust could boost the coffers by offering parking on some of their land, also it would boost mebership if they restricted it to members and create local jobs.....just a few benifits?

All the best Rick & Rosie.

Hi Rick & Rosie,

Yes, wonderful part of the country - I'm fortunate enough to sometimes have to go to our Regional Offices at Lanhydrock in Cornwall and spend a few days looking around the area!

I agree - iy sounds simple enough for the NT to allow overnight parking and will ask a few questions but (if you'll excuse the pun) it's not going to be an over-night thing!

Ben

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
I agree - iy sounds simple enough for the NT to allow overnight parking and will ask a few questions but (if you'll excuse the pun) it's not going to be an over-night thing!

Don't worry....I haven't been motorhoming for a year yet, but I've already read enough to realize that that even something as "simple" as setting up proper overnight parking facilities in the UK seems to be anything but.

(And I'm saying that, parked up on a side-road in Tenby while a bunch of car parks lie empty not far from me, with "no overnight sleeping/camping" signs on them. The town is empty...I seem to be the only visitor...I'm spending some money here (food)...and the local campsites seem to be closed. Very welcoming...)

OP
OP
JurassicCoastin

JurassicCoastin

Free Member
Jan 4, 2011
Jurassic Coast - Dorset
Funster No
Hi 1_man,

I know what you mean, sounds silly really... if the infrastructure is there you'd think the income opportunity would be welcomed!

Let me know if you're ever heading down to Dorset...

Ben

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
I've always wanted to get down that way and its looking good for this year. I do believe we are SKI ing but what the heck. The way things are going, they will be pensioners anyway before we check out and they can have the house anyway. What a great job you've got! Driving around the south west in your MH from one NT property to the next. I do hope we meet up but welcome to this site anyway. :Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile:

Ivy

OP
OP
JurassicCoastin

JurassicCoastin

Free Member
Jan 4, 2011
Jurassic Coast - Dorset
Funster No
I've always wanted to get down that way and its looking good for this year. I do believe we are SKI ing but what the heck. The way things are going, they will be pensioners anyway before we check out and they can have the house anyway. What a great job you've got! Driving around the south west in your MH from one NT property to the next. I do hope we meet up but welcome to this site anyway. :Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile:

Ivy

Hi Ivy,

Thanks for your welcome :Smile:
I am rather lucky to have landed my current job! If you are thinking of coming down, do let me know, I also have Twitter & Facebook sites for my job and lots of local sites follow me on Twitter and send me details of offers etc.
We also have a field on the Golden Cap estate that has water (no hook-up or loos) that is used for camping.

Ben

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi Ben, could you put a link to your face book page please. :Smile: