Free Member
May 30, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2 days
Does anyone have any experience of the inmotion domes? Currently have an oyster but am considering changing it.

The inmotion dome might be ideal if the youngest member of the clan can be kept entertained enroute but would love to know if they do 'what they say on the tin'

thanks in advance

Des

C.L.S

Trader - Service & Repairs
Jul 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Not long enough
I have fitted a few of these for customers and feedback has been positive with no complaints from anyone ::bigsmile:

Mark

Northerner

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
I have fitted a few of these for customers and feedback has been positive with no complaints from anyone ::bigsmile:

Mark

But do they actually use it in-motion on a motor-home? I can imagine it working well on a canal-boat for instance but can the satellite-dish track quickly enough when going round bends on a country road?

I'm a great fan of domes by the way and am on my second, first a Camos and now a Trakvision but I'd have my doubts about the efficacy of an in-motion version, but I'm happy to be convinced!

Do they work well on a swiftly moving motor-home?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
They certainly get better reviews that they used to a few years ago. Yes you can get TV on the move, but you will get interuptions, the main benefit is not having to drop it when the wind picks up.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Does anyone have any experience of the inmotion domes? Currently have an oyster but am considering changing it.

The inmotion dome might be ideal if the youngest member of the clan can be kept entertained enroute but would love to know if they do 'what they say on the tin'

thanks in advance

Des

Great for motorways, pretty average/poor elsewhere. We do sell them but warn people up front that they will spend as much time not watching as watching unless on main roads

Eddie

Northerner

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
Great for motorways, pretty average/poor elsewhere. We do sell them but warn people up front that they will spend as much time not watching as watching unless on main roads

Eddie

As I suspected. Common sense tells you that winding round a twisty country lane is going to make it blow its little mind, but I'm pleased to hear it from an expert. Possibly one day they'll be able to get a reaction time that will enable it to stay tracked.

As I said, I love domes, no problems in high wind and the enclosed structure must mean more protection from the elements.

They don't have the same footprint as a large dish, that's a given, but, like all things in life, it's trade-off. When I run out of Astra 2 mine automatically switches to Astra 1 or Hot Bird, so I still get BBC News and Sky News and a few other odds and sods in English.

OP
OP
Tommy_harry

Tommy_harry

Free Member
May 30, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2 days
Now I'm in a dilemma, if the dome isnt much good in motion is it worth swapping an oyster for a dome? and if I decide to is there any trade in value on the oyster...

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Now I'm in a dilemma, if the dome isnt much good in motion is it worth swapping an oyster for a dome? and if I decide to is there any trade in value on the oyster...

I will give you 100 quid for it ::bigsmile: unseen :winky:
terry

Northerner

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp

Only you can decide on whether it's worth the money. All I know is that it's brilliant being able to pull into a lay-by in France or Italy and switch on and, within a minute, be watching your local U.K. TV station.

I have a 12v digibox and bought my first dome after getting fed up trying to locate the satellite. Sometimes it can be done quickly but it's when you're in a dodgy area that auto systems come into their own. I'd spend ages trying to find the satellite only to realise that there is no reception possible.

If my dome doesn't track the satellite within a couple of minutes I know that there is no good line-of-sight so I watch a DVD or read a book!

I've no doubt that people will tell you that they can manually locate in a few seconds. Yes, they can if there is good reception but, if there isn't, I've known people spend twenty minutes trying to work out why they can't connect. There's no such problem with an auto system.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I hear that

I know Motor Romin (Rick) has one on his Holiday Rambler and he reports he uses it for the radio (saterlite link) I am sure he can tell us the issues he has had.. I know he had one or two when it was fitted.

I have a dome - Netta fitted by VanBitz.. first class, works most places and well in the South of France.. The installation was good, and when I was back at the workshops for something else to be fitted Eddie and his team were dealing with an after sales issue (not even reported by me) .. they were checking the fixings.. now that is a good service.

The only draw back of a dome is when you arrive on a site you cannot tell where to park due to not knowing which way the saterlite receiption is.. so it is a case of turning the tv on and checking you have a signal before you park up in the final place... But I think the dome is great bit of kit

Bob:thumb:

Northerner

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
The only draw back of a dome is when you arrive on a site you cannot tell where to park due to not knowing which way the saterlite receiption is.. so it is a case of turning the tv on and checking you have a signal before you park up in the final place... But I think the dome is great bit of kit

Bob:thumb:

Agreed, but is this not the same with a satellite dish? It's not a problem confined to domes.

Before choosing a spot I usually nip out and check an inexpensive compass that I carry. I can quickly work out roughly where the satellite is and try to park accordingly. It's not guaranteed of course but it reduces the risk of being behind a bank of trees that's directly in the path of the satellite!

OP
OP
Tommy_harry

Tommy_harry

Free Member
May 30, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2 days
Thanks

In the end I couldnt justify the cost for a the in-motion feature that was not proven..

I've had all my niggles with the oyster system sorted out by Robert Jackson of Wakefield (did a superb job - perhaps if he had installed it in the first place I would never have thought of changing it in the first place !).

Thanks for all the advise provided it was greatly appreciated.

Des

Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Satelite App.

Hi
I downloaded an app for my iphone,its called Dishpointer AR PRO.
I find it really handy as you can select the satelite you are looking for, they are preloaded in the app already ,then you view the sky through your phone screen untill a red curved bar appears showing the sats that you have selected and there elevation,longitude and latitude.
Once you have your sat, you can see clearly from the screen if there will be any obstructions be it hills or trees or buildings, it has got me out of a pickle a few times.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back