Where to find a SOG vent fan in France (1 Viewer)

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
Hi Funsters

About to start our journey back home from our skiing trip to Austria, planning on going through France (four nice slow days of non-toll roads).

Our SOG vent fan has blown :Sad:
We've realised how good the SOG was!!

Anyone know where we could get one in France more-or-less en route from the white stuff?
For that matter, what would they call it?

Here is a link to one in the UK: Link Removed

thanks
Rog

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hi Ivys!

Would like to help but.... can't get what it is... what does SOG mean? i've used the link but still dunno what it is. i know the word fan (usually cool or heat) but toilet fan ?????

If you don't mind explaining, i might be of some help

What will be your route through France ? (roughly)

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
RogerIvy
Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks Jim - will get the number off the fan and get a few spares

Rog

OP
OP
RogerIvy
Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi Ivys!

Would like to help but.... can't get what it is... what does SOG mean? i've used the link but still dunno what it is. i know the word fan (usually cool or heat) but toilet fan ?????

Amicalement

Hi Frankie

This link explains it best: Link Removed
Brilliant bit of kit, I think low voltage trashed my motor.
As Jim said, probably find one at a computer shop - it will be a standard part.

We don't know our exact route yet, probably go via Besancon to visit a cousin and meander our way past Paris.

Rog

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I'm sure any computer shop will have a fan that will fit:thumb:

Jim the SOG vent fan is built into a plastic moulding and would not be sold in a computer shop, the SOG unit could be modified to use a computer fan but its not a 5 minute job

Doug...

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Hi Frankie

This link explains it best: Link Removed
Brilliant bit of kit, I think low voltage trashed my motor.
As Jim said, probably find one at a computer shop - it will be a standard part.

We don't know our exact route yet, probably go via Besancon to visit a cousin and meander our way past Paris.

Rog

The SOGfan goes inline with the flexible exhauster pipe. I do not think a computer fan will do.

When mine stopped I squirted it with WD40 left it to soak and it eased its way back to life. Has it been noisy? Mine was, now it is super silent.

A fix at no cost for me.

John

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi Rog......I have just looked in three catalogues of the big names over here in France
NARBONNE,.......TOP ACCESSOIRES,......and DESINEA.......All sell the SOG but not the individual parts (just a plastic pipe bend and bung cap for when you empty)...could you not manage till you get back to the UK where you will have parts galore....and just use it like a normal toilet till then.
I have also been on the French Internet looking for parts for you ???? its not like the UK Rog...
What Doug said about it being different to a fan in a computer could be right....:Doh:

Mel:thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi Ivys!

Amicalement

Hi Frankie ............I think this is the kit he wants

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Never seen a SOG in the flesh, so no idea, I only suggest it because I have seen a "DIY sog" which used a bog standard :Smile: computer case extractor fan. the plans for same were posted on here too.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Ooooooops.....I forgot to put the picture on ........ sorry Frankie.....Mel:winky::thumb:

it will be the little electric part top left hand corner in WHite.....it is the same kit for all the SOG

Attachments

• SOG Permanent.jpg
    SOG Permanent.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
RogerIvy
Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi Rog......I have just looked in three catalogues of the big names over here in France
NARBONNE,.......TOP ACCESSOIRES,......and DESINEA.......All sell the SOG but not the individual parts (just a plastic pipe bend and bung cap for when you empty)...could you not manage till you get back to the UK where you will have parts galore....and just use it like a normal toilet till then.
I have also been on the French Internet looking for parts for you ???? its not like the UK Rog...
What Doug said about it being different to a fan in a computer could be right....:Doh:

For some reason it suddenly started working again ::bigsmile: ... no more smells!

Yes, we can and do use it without the SOG - but if we can get rid of smells all the better. :ROFLMAO:

I'll try John's idea of the WD40 if it sticks again.

Thanks to all for your help. Some things are much easier in the UK!

Rog

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi twas I who posted about a DIY SOG
Link Removed
The proper fan for a proper SOG unit is a a 12v in line fan - you can try googling to see if you find one :thumb: BUT when I was looking for one I never found one hence making one with a 3 .5 inch bay fan - Still going strong after 3 and a half yrs :thumb:
terry
Link Removed

Last edited:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Some of you may rember when I also had a failed SOG fan, the problem was coursed by some kind of bugs that had set up house in the tubing and fan casing, this was in a summer and in a warmer clime that the UK, for me a tin of WD40 also fixed it.

The SOG fan has a very small motor and it takes very little to stop it.

Doug...

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Hi Ivys!

Amicalement

Frankie, the SOG system is a special British invention to suck the smells out of the van toilet and blow them into your neighbours awning thus fostering international relations. :roflmto::roflmto:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Frankie, the SOG system is a special British invention to suck the smells out of the van toilet and blow them into your neighbours awning thus fostering international relations. :roflmto::roflmto:

German I think :ROFLMAO: probably the same ones that bombed our chip shop :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
terry

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
German I think :ROFLMAO: probably the same ones that bombed our chip shop :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
terry

Terry ....Yup German :winky: now was they BOMBS.....SAUSAGES...OR just the left overs from the failed SOG system that failed to breakdown....well ?? Mmmm

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
terry
Terry.....Well that's strange I too came from south Yorkshire and a Time served Joiner, we too had a fish and chip shop ....(in Bentley Playfairs corner on the A19) AH BUT no bombs from the GERMANS:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::winky:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Mel, only about 6 mls away - know Bentley pavilion well :thumb:I am from Thurnscoe
terry

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi Mel, only about 6 mls away - know Bentley pavilion well :thumb:I am from Thurnscoe
terry

Now then old lad nars thar talking......gods country....Mel:winky: a good friend of ours came from Goldthorpe...and my good mate who did all plastering came from Conisborough...he has even done some plastering over her for me

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back