Free Member
May 3, 2010
Exeter Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8/5/2010
Today starts the no smoking in bars etc in Spain. Will be interesting as they normally start around 10 :roflmto:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Will see if they manage it this year as that was supposed to happen last year but after a month or two things were back to how they were before the ban, so this is second time round for spain

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
First time around must have been about 5 years ago.
It was completly ignored then so dont hold much chance for it now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

trevosky

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Street, Somerset
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
on and off 16 years plus
The bars in my village appear to have taken it seriosly no ashtrays and no smoking signs visibly displayed,last year there were two options the bar owner could allow smoking if he wanted but if the bar was over a certain meterage a separate enclosed area had to be provided and they seemed to stick with that so i think for the likes of me i will be freezing out side to pursue my disgusting habit:RollEyes:
Trev

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
The bars in my village appear to have taken it seriosly no ashtrays and no smoking signs visibly displayed,last year there were two options the bar owner could allow smoking if he wanted but if the bar was over a certain meterage a separate enclosed area had to be provided and they seemed to stick with that so i think for the likes of me i will be freezing out side to pursue my disgusting habit:RollEyes:
Trev

This time it comes with a 600,000€ fine and closure of business premises for 5 years. I think that may sway the decision. It also bans smoking outdoors, near or in a childrens playground or outside of a Hospital.

We went into a Bar yesterday, no smell of smoke.

John

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Well, the Spanish pubs will now be full of all those non smokers who complained ...

same as they now flock to British pubs ... my ass, that's why they are closing at around 30 per week .. :RollEyes:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Does this include terrace bars?

trevosky

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Street, Somerset
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
on and off 16 years plus
No you are still ok to smoke on terraces outside bars,so in the better weather there is no problem,but as i am the only smoker amongst our group of freinds i still outside tend to move away out of respect
Trev

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
No you are still ok to smoke on terraces outside bars,so in the better weather there is no problem,but as i am the only smoker amongst our group of freinds i still outside tend to move away out of respect
Trev

Phew.....Thanks:roflmto:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I smile every time I go to the pub these days
All the folk craving fresh air are inside:Doh::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Today starts the no smoking in bars etc in Spain. Will be interesting as they normally start around 10 :roflmto:

Absolutely great, spending a week in Spain last year reminded me just how anti social and ignorant smokers can be. We were a grope of 7 non smokers and all spent a fare bit of time in pubs and clubs,. Our cloths stank and the smoke and stink nearly put us off our drinking.
Good for you Spain about time too.:thumb: Let’s see how many brave bar owners we now see flaunting the no smoking rules. We will be back to Spain this year and I’m sure it will be a pleasure. It will never revert back so better get used to it I guess.:ROFLMAO:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
My sister in spain has decided to open a second terrace at her bar/resturant at the side, she has only so far used the front terrace but can see that in order to not loose custom she will need the second terrace. It will be the same as the front one with a rain/sun shade and a perimiter made of small stone walling with lattice fencing with creeper plants with an enterance at both ends.

By the way she also tells me that those businesses (pubs, resturants, small shops) that have the cigarette machines will no longer be able to have them, so the only place to buy tobacco products will be in the tabaconists

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Well, the Spanish pubs will now be full of all those non smokers who complained ...
same as they now flock to British pubs ... my ass, that's why they are closing at around 30 per week .. :RollEyes:

I think this has little to do with smoking Jim, it’s the cost of alcohole and tha cost of getting to and from the pub that is killing our pubs. The pubs that I use always have a good mix on smokes and non smokes. Only problem I find with smokers in pubs now is, you can’t have a conversation with them. They keep disappearing outside. ::bigsmile:
I also disagree about the ban being imposed by winging smokers, not so, it is the fear of being sued by staff and customers for smoking related complications that caused the ban.:whatthe:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Another thought

Isn't it odd that the only two LEGAL recreational drugs in Europe cannot be enjoyed under the same roof ?

Well, maybe not so odd.. I accept that it (smoke) got up the nose of many non smokers .. but why a total ban ?
Landlords should have been given the choice of providing smoking and non smoking rooms.. or even a non smoking pub, but to lay the law down so rigidly smacks of a dictatorship ..

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
On the isle of Man the smoking ban in pubs came in one year after England. The local pubs used to have a lot of people in them, and now since the ban, empty...........

l went to my local on Christmas eve at 10pm and l was the only person in!

When the sun shines, the pubs do well, mainly outside, where smokers can have a drink and a fag. When it's winter, or the weather is bad, the pubs are empty...........doesn't take a genius to work it out.

Now, where are my rollies?

Craig

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
but to lay the law down so rigidly smacks of a dictatorship ..

Not to non smokers it isn't Jim it should have become law years before it did.

Next positive move would be to stop smokers from hanging around the entrance blowing smoke into non smokers lungs as they enter the pub.:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Not to non smokers it isn't Jim it should have become law years before it did.

Next positive move would be to stop smokers from hanging around the entrance blowing smoke into non smokers lungs as they enter the pub.:thumb:

That's a very selfish attitude..

if you re read my post you will see I accept YOUR right to a smoke free pub.. but the rights of the smoker to enjoy a smoke and a pint in a civilised manner have been denied by a draconian law.

I don't drink anymore but I used to enjoy the social life, a game of pool or darts .. not any more and that's why pubs are closing.. we ALL lose ..

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
There are things that l don't agree with, but, l don't want a law to ban them.
l am a veggy, but l don't scream, "ban the butcher".
l don't like ginger beers, but l don't scream, "ban the puffs"!
l detest musicals AND Christmas, so what? l find other things to do. Live and let live, l say.

Craig

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I have had more pleasant meals in pubs since the ban, as I hated to go to them before.

It was a shock to walk into the Bar here just before Christmas and nearly choke on the smoke.

Yesterday I needed a toilet while out for the day and I was pleasantly surprised by the clean atmosphere.

I have never been a smoker or a drinker. The pubs now are getting my business.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Yes, l smoke. Have done for years, however, l will not smoke in my home, motorhome, car, anywhere food is served, in front of my children, grandchildren, etc; l don't like smokey environments. BUT! when l go for a beer, and l am told the law has banned me from having a rolly with my pint, that brasses me off!

Craig

kickstart

Free Member
Dec 13, 2008
south yorkshire, Benidorm
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
4 years
I must be strange,although a casual smoker I love the fact that pubs are smoke free here in the U.K,much nicer and a pleasure to spend time and especialy when meals are served,still can't see it lasting in Spain,like France some will uphold it and others will turn a blind eye.
As for stopping folk from smoking outside ??? some people !!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Now all you can smell in pubs is the piss from the toilets...oh and the eau de cologne of the self righteous

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Absolutely great, spending a week in Spain last year reminded me just how anti social and ignorant smokers can be. We were a grope of 7 non smokers and all spent a fare bit of time in pubs and clubs,. Our cloths stank and the smoke and stink nearly put us off our drinking.
Good for you Spain about time too.:thumb: Let’s see how many brave bar owners we now see flaunting the no smoking rules. We will be back to Spain this year and I’m sure it will be a pleasure. It will never revert back so better get used to it I guess.:ROFLMAO:

Is a grope a collective noun for a group of non smokers??

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I always wondered what smokers chatted about out there. Sounds a bit boring to me. :Cool:

Not half as boring as listening to the chavs and chavesses who crowd the bar in my local. Ankle chain anyone?

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:Blush:eek:oops Treacle, I sometimes wear one of those...:Blush:

Geo