Boiling water after 6 weeks..How?? (1 Viewer)

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 649C Class
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
Bermused, that is what I am right now. About 6 weeks ago I drained (or thought) the motorhome (Swift Sundance 630G). I followed the procedures as mentioned on this forum including the dump valve on the boiler. Ive not used it since nor is it plugged in.

This morning I thought I would give the motorhome some loving, and Ive plugged it in to some power to give the batteries a recharge...There are no lights active on the control panel.

I then went to service the bog (apologies to southerners) pulled it out (the bog) and shock horror water started to come out from under the boiler, the boiler I thought Id drained 6 weeks ago. It seemed the action of removing toilet released some pressure. That bermused me, but even more the water was boiling hot, i could make a cup of tea out of it.

Is it possible that through all the low temperatures we have had the water has kept hot over a 6 week period??

Not sure if this is important but my motorhome is parked on a slight slope nose facing downwards...

:Eeek: Bermused!!!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If you were not on EHU the only logical explanation is that you left the boiler switched ON gas.. it certainly wouldn't stay even remotely warm after 6 weeks.

If not then you need to consult an occult forum :Eeek:

Upvote 0

Mixter

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Now a year - cant believe it!
I also drained mine to nowt - or i thought i did. But still got another quart out of the system once id driven to the MOT and back! Its always worth checking, as that quart was virtually guaranteed to bust something somewhere, being at minus 5-10 for days on end like we were here.

Now, im ithching to fill it up and 'check' its all working again, but thats waaaay off yet.:Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
Hmm just been to check, Gas was definitely off at bottle and also at control panel so coudnt have been running on gas.

Not sure about a hot rod, nor how it would be powered.. would it take a trickle charge from leisure batteries in some way? Is the hot rod inbuilt with a truma or is it an add on/in?

Checked bucket contents and would say that approx 1-1.5 litres came out of it.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hmm just been to check, Gas was definitely off at bottle and also at control panel so coudnt have been running on gas.

Not sure about a hot rod, nor how it would be powered.. would it take a trickle charge from leisure batteries in some way? Is the hot rod inbuilt with a truma or is it an add on/in?

Checked bucket contents and would say that approx 1-1.5 litres came out of it.

Hot rods are 110v mains powered, normally only fitted to yank RVs .. there are 12v tank heaters which MAY have been fitted , as far as I know not a standard fitment on Truma .. but if one were fitted it would have drained the battery in less than six weeks.

There are also retrofit hot water jacket heaters for Truma but again, they are mains powered.

Have a nose about, look for any un explained wires leaving the tank ..

truly a mystery

Upvote 0

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
They are a heat element and are wired in so would use a small amount of power, they are a common addition to outfilts where people have either fulltimed in or often go to cold climate areas like for ski ing, it fits into the water outlet plug for draining, so when you drained was there a long rod on the inside end of the plug? Most common in RV/5th wheel units and looks like the pic in the link below

Link Removed

some form of heating element is the only thing i can think of that would give hot water another item that gets used in tanks are the tropical fishtank heaters, which are used to combat freezing temps usually in the freshwater tank

Upvote 0

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
could it be that the mains heater element had been left switched on and when you plugged in the hook up that it just started to heat what water was in the boiler seems more a logical idea

andy

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
could it be that the mains heater element had been left switched on and when you plugged in the hook up that it just started to heat what water was in the boiler seems more a logical idea

andy
Il go for that too...its the only logical explanation,if it was a 12 volt heater it would have run the batteries completly flat in 6 weeks.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010

andy

Hi Andy, this does seem more logical , sort of agree with this, . The motorhome had been plugged in some time (about an hour) before the hot water came out. All the control panel lights however were/are still off. Ive only ever heated water in past via control panel so the heater light would be on for this function to work ....normally...

So im begining to wonder if the water heater is actually on or not irrespective of control panel and whether if its actually on right now with no water in it, as that might be a problem as mentioned in truma handbook...

my head hurts

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back