Stopzilla, con? (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Downloaded Stopzilla last night and let it run a scan, it told me I had two Trogan virus's, but unless I paid $20 it wouldn't remove them. It did however tell me where to find evidence of them in the registry and in the windows folder.

Being a bit suspicious as I have antivirus software I Googled them, and got confirmation of the windows and registry information provided by Stopzilla, but on searching they weren't there. So my belief is this is a con to get you to buy it.

Olley

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
So my belief is this is a con to get you to buy it.
Olley

I've always had the impression that witch hunting programs *have* to find the odd witch to keep you paying.

I changed to Avast once when AVG went through a difficult period, it found all sorts of things AVG never did and once AVG was "cured" I returned to AVG and all went quiet. So is Avast vastly superior to AVG ?

They have to be very careful because the software is open to inspection but I think they try it on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
By all accounts a difficult program to remove ...

I suggest you remove using Revo uninstaller rather than windows removal tool which may (will) leave bits behind.

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Jim, no apparent trouble removing it. As far as I can tell its gone, nothing in start up or services when I run Msconfig.

Olley

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i have always believed that the people that write antivirus software develop the viruses just to perpetuate sales the old find a demand and fill it routine

andy

Northerner

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
i have always believed that the people that write antivirus software develop the viruses just to perpetuate sales the old find a demand and fill it routine

andy

There's no real evidence of this and firms such as Microsoft have huge departments tracking down virus writers. No legitimate software company would risk being found out and ruined.

Do you really think that they can take the risk of just one disgruntled employee spilling the beans? They'd never be able to fire anyone for anything, if they had that information.

Apart from which, there is no need for any company to invent viruses, there are thousands of nutters out there doing it for a hobby!

Still, nothing beats a good conspiracy theory! :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back