Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Happy New Year to all.

Have been down here in Denia for a week now but seen little of any sunshine. The first couple of days were great but has been rather cool & cloudy since. I suppose with temps of around 13 shouldn't complain after the freezing conditions we left behind in UK & France.

Left Dover on 23rd Dec after pondering whether to wait a few days. I should have done. travelling through France was awful. I was expecting the worst in the north but journey to Rouen was fine. It got much worse as we headed south. Was heading towards Aire in Brezolles for first night but the weather closed in .....heavy snow and wind blowing it across the roads making it difficult to see the roadsides & markings. Found the Aire but full of deep snow and on an incline:Doh: Now getting dark so decided best option was head towards motorway, Being first major trip in RV & LHD I was not very happy. Eventually reached motorway after many miles of horrible driving conditions. It was impossible to stop or even pull off the road due to the snow.
Carried on driving to Orleans to try to get beyond the snow but it never stopped. Eventually stopped on motorway aire for a few hours sleep in the chair. Headed off before daylight as snow had stopped. Motorway reasonable but often only one lane clear. Stopped again for breakfast after which it started to rain:Eeek: Instantly froze on road and RV. Seriously thought about turning back!!!

We never lost the snow and ice till Narbonne. Headed for Leucate Plage aire to overnight where we were greeted by 60mph winds. Lovely spot but we were buffeted all night. We had planned to stay there 2 nights to recover & have Christmas dinner but much too windy. Scared of damage to RV.

Eventually made it into Spain and much better conditions. Stayed in a carpark/wasteground near Tarragona for Christmas night and cooked our roast chicken Christmas dinner & Christmas pud in the sunshine:thumb:

Got to Camping Los Pinos in Denia a day early because of the non-stop driving. Not really a suitable site for RV. 24 point turn to get into the only space suitable. Have been made very welcome though. Met up again with a couple of full-timers in 5th wheeler that we met in October. We are off tomorrow to Camping Florantilles in Torrevieja and plan to stay there for a month. They have assured me I will fit on site OK.......we will see tomorrow:Eeek:

My nerves have just about recovered so hopefully all will be well ::bigsmile:

Happy Travels

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Hi MrJinks

We are just down the road from you. The weather is looking better for the next week and the days are about to become longer instead of shorter.
http://www.eltiempo.es/cartagena.html

We are here until end of April.

John

Hi John - are you and Joan enjoying El Portus? Had you been before?

Hope you have a good time - we like it there.

Regards, Mike and Sue

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
Hi Mr Jinks, congratulations for getting through France what an horrific journey you had. We also drive a Fourwinds Hurricane so it was good to read your story. You have mentioned a couple of aires we are hoping to stay in on our return from Spain at the end of January and you have confirmed my thought that it really is a gamble as to what awaits you as you turn the corner into each aire!

OP
OP
MrJinks

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Have moved down to Camping Florantilles near Torrevieja. Excellent site. Lovely big pitches that would accommodate 36ft easy. Although I think the site has a limit of 10m. Lovely clean facilities, peaceful surroundings and wall to wall sunshine since we arrived :thumb:
I had read that it was close to motorway but we have hardly noticed it

Many here for the whole winter. I booked through the Caravan Club and only works out at £7.60 per day although have to pay own electric. Only negative is there is no wifi on site. Today bought a PAYG dongle from Carrefour. 19 euros plus 1euro per day for 100mb. Works well so far

Managed to fill up with LPG in Alicante no problem. Thanks to Olleys lpg locations.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
glad to hear you got on there, the motorway at that stretch is quiet( toll stretch) most of the traffic comes off before the toll at crevelente and goes back at the mil palmeras junction after the toll finishes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Glad to hear you got there safe and sound driving any thing tat size in snow can be entertaining.

Have a great Vacation enjoy the new RV and have a great new year.

All the best Rick & Rosie

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back