Discoveries about MHF and cookies (1 Viewer)

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I have always had problems with the MHF site, different computers, different browsers do not stop the problems permanently only tempory

I have always got it to work again but problems always come back. very often a different problem, sometimes big problems sometimes small problems.

with the latest problem IE logging in to the chat room I have achieved tempory cure but not a permanent one, at the moment I have no access to the chat room.

I have found a way that seems to stop the problems. Kill of MHF cookies then stop MHF from installing cookies. Of course this means that you have to log in manually every time you reset or change pages. But I can now log into the chat room.

I must add that its only MHF cookies that I have changed. That's important!

After this if I reset the cookie instructions and allow MHF to set cookies again I am once again unable to log in to the chat room again.

It looks to be that it is MHF that is coursing the problems and not the clients.

I would add that MHF setts more cookies that any other site on my list.
Doug...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
As my ability to connect to the chat room repaired itself with out any intervention from myself I assume that someone has been working on the server/software and repaired the problem.

Doug...

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Not done a thing. Failure to log Into the flash based chatroom is almost always a local issue. The chat room requires a lot of local resources and bandwidth. Very often those on a dongle can struggle. We do not install a single cookie that is not required. The cookies ensure that you are remembered and the system knows what parts of the site you have read, correctly installed cookies will not slow down your experience, they will enhance it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Never had a problem on Fun whatever PC or laptop I use and that applies to the other members of staff back at the dealership who use the same log in as I have.

Also no problems on a dongle on boat.

Peter

Northerner

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
It is also my opinion that there is a cookie problem. My connection to MHFun became totally useless, huge delays, white screens etc. but I had no problem with any other site.

After trying everything I deleted all my cookies, nothing else, just cookies, and hey presto, it was like lightening again.

To be sure I cleared the cookies once more and then only logged onto my Google homepage and MHFun. After this I checked the cookies again and there were quite a few, as well as two for MHFun, so it would appear that MHFun is installing several cookies.

I am quite convinced that the problems that I have had are solely with MHFun. I visited dozens of other sites and they were fine but this one, and this one only, was a nightmare.

I suspect that one or more cookies is becoming corrupted or there is some other reason that's beyond me why cookies are screwing up my access.

If it happens again I shall delete cookies one at a time and if the problem is immediately cured by the removal of one cookie at least I'll know which it is.

In the meantime I would ask others to do the same. If you have an access problem, delete your cookies and see it it solves it.

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
Not done a thing. Failure to log Into the flash based chatroom is almost always a local issue. The chat room requires a lot of local resources and bandwidth. Very often those on a dongle can struggle. We do not install a single cookie that is not required. The cookies ensure that you are remembered and the system knows what parts of the site you have read, correctly installed cookies will not slow down your experience, they will enhance it.

Jim if it was a bandwidth problem why is that Skype, (that takes a lot more bandwidth that just an audio link) runs OK? I even get a working Skype, video and audio link from other funsters that are using wifi at their end.

In addition I can show you a web site that measures bandwidth, (as used by three.co) that clearly shows that I am consistently get a 2 meg link. I can even give my password so that you can look at my readings.

Doug...

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Doug I am sorry you are experiencing problems with the site. I can assure you There is nothing wrong with the site at the server end at present. People rarely comment when things are running smoothly but of course are very quick to point out to me when things are wrong. If something is broken, I get hundreds of PMs and emails in the space of an hour. Every day over the holiday, around 500 funsters logged on and around 3000 guests browsed the site. Funsters have made 3000 posts since Christmas Morning and I have had two compaints one from you and the other from Northerner.

When the site breaks, it breaks for everyone, when it breaks for one or two people this is always a local issue, it cannot be otherwise. The combination of ISPs, Operating systems, browsers, addins etc is vast, and its difficult to remotely diagnose.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I've never had a problem with connecting or using MHFun .. we have four laptops, two Windows and two Macs .. and use Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Camino .. all work fine..

Northerner

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
I'm not just whinging unnecessarily. Before coming to a conclusion I tried every conceivable thing to solve the problem but it came down to just one thing - deleting cookies immediately solved it. Prior to that it could take five minutes to get into a thread and then when I clicked on the last page I got a white screen and lost it altogether.

Again, I then tried several other sites, all of which were perfect. I'm not suggesting that there is anything wrong with this site per se, there can't be, as the majority of users are not experiencing problems.

However, there have been other complaints of 'white screen' and slow loading and all I'm asking is that, if anyone has a problem, on the site in general, or the chat room, that they clear all cookies. If that solves it, as it appears to do for me and dougcumiskey, then it will prove that at least one cookie that's being installed appears to have the propensity to become corrupted or in some way affect the computers of some of us.

If it happens again I'll delete them one at at a time to see if I can narrow it down.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
must admit i dont have a problem using motorhomefun
i use three microsoft 1 mac and an i phone
and a rare loan of missmanagements i pad

occasionally have to log back in but very rarely

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I have no problems either, desktop, 2 lappies and a netbook all running Windows 7 and Firefox. In the chatroom i posted a screen shot of my cookies for Fun and they were all Kosher. Dougs were different in that he had 2 sub folders. I have checked the other machines today and the cookies are the same on all machines.

Have to say the quiz room was iffy on Thursday as it chucked me out twice and a good many others had the same trouble, but I think that is a different issue. :Smile:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Here are mine for reference

Attachments

• Capture for post.JPG
    Capture for post.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
Doug I am sorry you are experiencing problems with the site. I can assure you There is nothing wrong with the site at the server end at present. People rarely comment when things are running smoothly but of course are very quick to point out to me when things are wrong. If something is broken, I get hundreds of PMs and emails in the space of an hour. Every day over the holiday, around 500 funsters logged on and around 3000 guests browsed the site. Funsters have made 3000 posts since Christmas Morning and I have had two compaints one from you and the other from Northerner.

When the site breaks, it breaks for everyone, when it breaks for one or two people this is always a local issue, it cannot be otherwise. The combination of ISPs, Operating systems, browsers, addins etc is vast, and its difficult to remotely diagnose.

I agree with the "always a local issue" but I have proved to myself that without MHF cookies I get no problem, Then let MHF reinstall the cookies and the problems are back again, yes it is local but its the cookies that seem to switch on the local problems.

I don't know what more I can say.

Doug...

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp

There are differences between your list and mine, I have tried to make a copy but can't.

On Chrome my list is split into 2 folders, www.motorhomefun.co.uk and motorhomefun.co.uk

On FF I have a vbulletin_collapse that you oe my chrome does not.

Doug...

Northerner

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
I also use Chrome and I too get two folders: motorhomefun and www.motorhomefun.

The first one has the sort of cookies that most people seem to get but the second one has this:

Attachments

• MHF2.JPG
    MHF2.JPG
    11.9 KB · Views: 13

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
There are differences between your list and mine, I have tried to make a copy but can't.

On Chrome my list is split into 2 folders, www.motorhomefun.co.uk and motorhomefun.co.uk

On FF I have a vbulletin_collapse that you oe my chrome does not.

Doug...

I can't copy / paste the list either, I use a screen shot ..

the last was from Camino.. this one is from Safari .. will go on the PC and get one from FFox

Attachments

• Safari screenshot_02.jpg
    Safari screenshot_02.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 11

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back