Some will not like this. (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I take it then that you don`t know for sure if they fitted any of the exemptions ?
They may well have had good reason to be there, I don`t know, and I`m guessing you don`t either.

Stay home stay safe - but don`t accuse others of being irresponsible without knowledge of all the facts please.
Could not have been a necessary journey or the police would not have turned him around,,BUSBY.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I take it then that you don`t know for sure if they fitted any of the exemptions ?
They may well have had good reason to be there, I don`t know, and I`m guessing you don`t either.

Stay home stay safe - but don`t accuse others of being irresponsible without knowledge of all the facts please.
Oh Please!
Really?
On the M5
"Just popping to the local shop, honestly officer"

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
It is my intention, once a month, to use my motorhome to do our essentials shop instead of our car. It may not be best for the environment but it will keep the battery charged, oil circulating through the engine and gearbox, and clean off the brake discs.

All our cupboards are empty including the wardrobe, no water on board and the “fixed” bed is not made up, so we are obviously not on holiday.

What are the police going to charge me with? Unnecessary journey? We need the food etc. We are not on holiday, not touring and not “out for a jaunt”.

For the last two weeks we have adhered strictly to the rules.
We are practicing social distancing, having one daily walk but otherwise staying at home.

It is imperative that we all do our bit to prevent the spread of this virus but what difference does it make whether we do our shopping by car, motorhome, motorbike, tractor or bike?

We all have to eat etc.

The assumption that all Motorhomers are travelling to “self isolate” in a scenic area must be challenged or it will lead to restrictions both during, and after, this crisis.
I think if you live in Birmingham and decided to shop in the southwest it could be a problem but if it's your local supermarket and you don't do an hour's detour you should be fine. The problems not the police it's the people behaving irresponsibly (assuming that he was). My brother said today that they know a couple who got married last week and decided to go from the peak District to Scotland in their motorhome as a honeymoon........doh

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Could not have been a necessary journey or the police would not have turned him around,,BUSBY.
I would like to believe that but, other than through rose tinted glasses, not all police officers are so sensible.

They are human beings and you will get the odd jobsworth. Most, however, will use common sense. I just hope that I meet the sensible ones.

If you put yourself in their position it must be frustrating. How can they legitimately decide if the journey is “necessary”?

I am on my way to collect groceries for my neighbour.

I am on my way shopping for essentials.

I am on my way to....

I don’t envy them their job but hope that they exercise a modicum of common sense. They police by consensus and God help us if they lose it during the present situation.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I would like to believe that but, other than through rose tinted glasses, not all police officers are so sensible.

They are human beings and you will get the odd jobsworth. Most, however, will use common sense. I just hope that I meet the sensible ones.

If you put yourself in their position it must be frustrating. How can they legitimately decide if the journey is “necessary”?

I am on my way to collect groceries for my neighbour.

I am on my way shopping for essentials.

I am on my way to....

I don’t envy them their job but hope that they exercise a modicum of common sense. They police by consensus and God help us if they lose it during the present situation.
Yes I think they will have a tough job you only need to look at this thread on here on travel by car to dog walking.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I don't think anyway can justify some of the idiots trying to get an easy holiday at the moment (obviously lost out in gene pool), but I think we should be careful adding to the slight hysteria in the media about any motorhome on the road at the moment.

There are those of us that are fulltime. Even if being completely responsible and having found a semi-permanent place to stay, we still have to shop. I had to go and get gas earlier and do a shop. Turns out I hadn't used as much gas as I thought, so did a two week shop. I still felt like a pariah driving.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I don't think anyway can justify some of the idiots trying to get an easy holiday at the moment (obviously lost out in gene pool), but I think we should be careful adding to the slight hysteria in the media about any motorhome on the road at the moment.

There are those of us that are fulltime. Even if being completely responsible and having found a semi-permanent place to stay, we still have to shop. I had to go and get gas earlier and do a shop. Turns out I hadn't used as much gas as I thought, so did a two week shop. I still felt like a pariah driving.
But as I said its due to the way other people behave. We had the drive of our previous house jet washed by some people from the travelling community they worked hard and made a really good job but a lot would just think they weren't worth trying.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Just for some balance on the police yesterday there was a complaint about the police operating speed cameras at the moment saying it was just a money making ploy. They have just said that they have caught a few up here the highest being 102 mph!!!!!. As I said its a good thing to do if there's no policing some idiot will push the limits be it speeding or traveling. One might cause an added load to a and e the other increased spread. We need policing we saw enough last weekend to prove it

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
But as I said its due to the way other people behave. We had the drive of our previous house jet washed by some people from the travelling community they worked hard and made a really good job but a lot would just think they weren't worth trying.
Think you were very lucky --same thing happened to a customer of mine (80 yr old lady ).The slabs resembled a pedestrian crossing and the estimate of £60 (far too much ) ended in a demand for £400 and agro! That's a common trick they do when they arrive around here.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Oh Please!
Really?
On the M5
"Just popping to the local shop, honestly officer"
Sorry but there are many reasons to be on the road in a camper or a car.
I'm classed as a key worker supporting our clients who are defence and infrastructure providers.
I have to travel 75 miles round trip to work.
If the OP is the same as the link dbk put up then fair enough, looks like he was on a jolly and should be sent home.
But please remember, some people have good reason to be on the road and wanting them hung drawn and quartered without knowledge of the full details is very unhelpful and narrow minded to say the least.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2015
Norwich
Funster No
MH
RAPIDO 686F
Exp
That concept may be too much for your average PC plod to even contemplate as it would require a degree of common sense and intelligence?
Really???
I have literally just posted on another thread about this type of comment.
If I’m sent to that certain place then I’ll be disappointed but that is, in my opinion out of order especially under these conditions.
Ray

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Often in life, things are not always as they first appear and I don't want to be criticised, abused, spat at, have rocks thrown at me or otherwise victimised for going to work as a small cog in a big wheel in support of essential government machinery.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
Really???
I have literally just posted on another thread about this type of comment.
If I’m sent to that certain place then I’ll be disappointed but that is, in my opinion out of order especially under these conditions.
Ray
I agree. A blatant disregard of advice designed to protect us all is completely out of order.

My point was purely that there are some, not all, but some, members of the police force who do not have the capacity to think outside the box or show any common sense. The worry is that the "some" is rapidly increasing in numbers as coppers ain't what they used to be, and I know many ex cops who are quite honestly disgusted at the way the service is today.

These are very testing times for all of us and we dont need the idiots ignoring guidelines and placing people in jeopardy, but we also don't really need coppers making life unnecessarily difficult at the same time. Hence my referral to common sense.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I think when posts are made and the only way people can express themselves is by calling our police plod idiots etc then they need to look closer to home whose the idiot.
On these unparalleled times all our services are under huge pressure and posts articulated in this way do nothing to help.

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
I think when posts are made and the only way people can express themselves is by calling our police plod idiots etc then they need to look closer to home whose the idiot.
On these unparalleled times all our services are under huge pressure and posts articulated in this way do nothing to help.
Read the post again, it wasn't the police who were referred to as idiots

Jun 4, 2010
Funster No
Just for some balance on the police yesterday there was a complaint about the police operating speed cameras at the moment saying it was just a money making ploy. They have just said that they have caught a few up here the highest being 102 mph!!!!!. As I said its a good thing to do if there's no policing some idiot will push the limits be it speeding or traveling. One might cause an added load to a and e the other increased spread. We need policing we saw enough last weekend to prove it

Just make shure they do not get guns or more power

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
That concept may be too much for your average PC plod to even contemplate as it would require a degree of common sense and intelligence? so they may just adopt the stance that you must be travelling in a non essential way if your not in a car

No I dont have a problem with you or your education, as for the police....well?
I have had another look and can see that but the theme of your posts made it read that way to me.
So sorry for misinterpretation

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
That concept may be too much for your average PC plod to even contemplate as it would require a degree of common sense and intelligence?

Offensive and ill judged comment. An apology would do better than your later comments trying to justify this one!

And if anyone is stopped by a Police Officer in these trying times, a polite explanation justifying their actions (if they are justified) will surely suffice.
My point was purely that there are some, not all, but some, members of the police force who do not have the capacity to think outside the box or show any common sense. The worry is that the "some" is rapidly increasing in numbers as coppers ain't what they used to be, and I know many ex cops who are quite honestly disgusted at the way the service is today.

I'd like to know on what facts your assessment of 'some, not all' (a bit different to 'your average', btw) is based. After 38 years in Law Enforcement I think I'm able to make a reasoned judgement, and no I wouldn't want to do it again as the conditions are not great, the pay - given the responsibility thrust upon their shoulders - is not great, and attitudes such as those espoused in your comments are increasingly common. The Thin Blue Line gets thinner while the stick used to beat them with gets bigger.

Support our emergency services - you never know when YOU will need them.

Deleted User
This is the car park at a local beauty spot this morning. The government directive forbids gettting in the car to drive somewhere to then go for a walk. What part of this do these selfish people not understand. If we are going to beat this virus we all need to work together. Both my wife and myself are in the vulnerable age group and we certainly don't want to catch this virus.
Spongy

Attachments

• 20200329_103421.jpg
    20200329_103421.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 116

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries