Free Member
Nov 14, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Just bought our first motorhome. Dec 2010
Can anyone recommend a good road map for the UK for motorhomes...just in case sat nav fails and as we are planning our first trip we don't want to face any narrow lanes:helpsos:!!!!

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi RickyD

We have a book outlet store named The Works nearby. I went in for a look around yesterday and ended up purchasing the 2011 AA Supreme Scale Atlas of Britain. A very clear road atlas at 2 1/2 miles to the inch. R.R.P. was £14.99, it was on offer at £5.99.

Brisey

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Phillips Navigator atlas, never seen in discount shops, about £20. Test of a good atlas is if Gravely Hill (spaghetti junction) is clearly deliniated.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We do the same as Brisey for most travelling, buy a new edition every year or two (depending how quickly it becomes tatty really) plus we have sat nav but don't like to rely on it totally.

We also tend to buy street maps for places we visit. Mainly use them for walking rather than driving though. The county based OS/Phillips street maps are pretty good for areas you visit frequently. You can often find them at good prices on eBay.

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
AA Close Up Truckers Atlas Britain A3 (Road Atlas) £10 from Amazon.

Obviously designed and written for Truckers contains not only low bridges but also narrow roads and truck stops and cafe which can accommodate large outfits :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Can anyone recommend a good road map for the UK for motorhomes.

My favourite road map is Autoroute. It comes complete with the whole of Europe of course.

Unlike paper maps where you'll always find the scale wrong at some stage, Autoroute always has the correct scale for all occasions.

Equip your laptop with a GPS dongle of some sort ( I picked up a bluetooth one for about a tenner off ebay ) and you have a moving map. This saved our lives in Gstaad when the whole town was in turmoil with roadworks which completely defeat a GPS.

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Phillips Navigator atlas, never seen in discount shops, about £20. Test of a good atlas is if Gravely Hill (spaghetti junction) is clearly deliniated.

My favourite road map is Autoroute. It comes complete with the whole of Europe of course.

Unlike paper maps where you'll always find the scale wrong at some stage, Autoroute always has the correct scale for all occasions.

Equip your laptop with a GPS dongle of some sort ( I picked up a bluetooth one for about a tenner off ebay ) and you have a moving map. This saved our lives in Gstaad when the whole town was in turmoil with roadworks which completely defeat a GPS.

Agree with both.

The Phillips is excellent mapping in book form.

Only drawback I found with Autoroute my notebook is a bit short on oomph (techie term:Smile:) and tracking is a bit jerky - thinking of upgrading RAM and Win7 Starter (don't like it - but full is supposed to be good)

John

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
On ipad

There is an app that has the uk os maps ..free 1:250 ... Very good.. Also i use the google road map that is very detailed and covers euroe and uk... Very detailed and can be used off line.

Otherwise i use the AA book .. Have the Ventura 7000 saterlite and run a back up Garmin hand held (also dash mouted) oregon and that has the os maps loaded... Has many uses..

Never have enough maps... Orsat units.

Bob:thumb:

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
May I suggest the one that sits on your left (assuming you are driving a RH drive) as they are NEVER wrong...and are always fond of telling you where you are going wrong...they are a bit expensive though:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
AA Close Up Truckers Atlas Britain A3 (Road Atlas) £10 from Amazon.

Obviously designed and written for Truckers contains not only low bridges but also narrow roads and truck stops and cafe which can accommodate large outfits :thumb:

Thanks MicknPat, just ordered this.

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Sorry guys regarding the AA Close Up Truckers Atlas Britain A3 (Road Atlas) I forgot to add this warning.

If your navigator is weak or you have a Smart car do NOT buy the atlas as it is extremely LARGE and heavy :roflmto:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have just bought the AA Close Up map 1 1/2 miles to 1" excellent detail, £20 from Waterstones but heavy :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back