Please don't sell your Motorhome (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I've just turned down a (Hawkish I thought) advert in the magazine for one of those We Buy Your Motorhome For Cash type adverts. I understand some of you will feel the pinch in the coming months, and might consider selling. If you must sell, (You won't be able to till non-essential movement is lifted) Then these are rarely the best places, Yes, they are convenient if you don't mind losing a few grand and can't be bothered with advertising and viewings, but you can get a lot more money by selling privately, and very often you can achieve that sale on the forum here for nothing.

With the way things are going to pan out recession wise, then a van will be the perfect escape for years to come and if you are forced to sell you may well regret it, only you will know; but for me I would do anything to keep my van. Apart from take Hawkish adverts :D

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
This recession is likely to be bad and I bet a lot of people will be wanting to help their kids out, many of whom will need real help. Sadly, for a few the van on the drive will just have to go. :confused:

I expect you're right but the most important thing is the family and staying safe.

Good luck and good health to all.

Ps ive just thanked the MT people for their support as I walk round and round on our apartment roof.

Thanks to this Forum I can pass my time easily.

Thanks Jim and Funsters.

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
Whilst I sympathise with people who need to free up assets, I only bought my new to me van a month ago. As l bought privately and got a cracking deal I suppose I could get a good price if I sold. If normality ever returns then this van is going some way to restoring sanity.
The guy I bought this van from bought his next van from Simpson’s Great Yarmouth. He was scheduled to pick it up in April, no chance now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
This recession is likely to be bad and I bet a lot of people will be wanting to help their kids out, many of whom will need real help. Sadly, for a few the van on the drive will just have to go. :confused:

An admirable gesture. refusing ad revenue at this time cant have been easy , but by accepting it , by default , you are seen to do endorsing it.

I am dead against the parasitic side of MH sales , with skimmers making profit off something they have no financial interest in, this is a similar vein as far as I am concerned.

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
I have thought about selling my MH when I realise I'm not using it as much as I'd like, but then I realise what a box of memories it is and my villa on wheels that has taken me to so many places and, hopefully, will do so again. And how could I sell off the MH that took me to Morocco where I had my "Teddy on and oasis" painting done on the side, and, and .....Nah, whilst I can afford it, I'm keeping it if only to go and sit in it on the drive, maybe make some "Brum, brum" noises and put the kettle on to make believe I'm in ?????

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Yes a recession is inevitable I think. Probably hit the 5 million mark for unemployed.

Deleted User
I suspect it won't just be motorhomes, a lot of people will soon be in big debt and looking at their cars and homes as a way out, Motorhome probably least essential. We buy anything merchants will most likely be offering even less than usual on the basis who is going to have the money to buy them (even private pensions will come under huge pressure as most are valued at last months stock value not this months). As usual there will be wolves out there with the means to take advantage.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Jim

Even if times get really hard I have no need to sell and anyway would not want to as we have had great times with it.

I certainly would not sell it via one of those rip-offs, only privately or with a decent PX, which I might do when the 17 year-old machine gets a bit older, but not nearly yet.

Geoff

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
For some the MoHo is their largest asset, apart from the house, and it may have to be sold in the future to cover bills. I am retired and my concern, if I survive this pandemic, is inflation will take a huge chunk of my pension, and whilst I no longer have a MoHo because (sorry) a caravan suits us better at the moment we may have to give up the lifestyle if our pension is cut in half.

The last few years have dealt us a bad hand, it was my plan to spend the last 10 years of work, after we had cleared the mortgage to save for retirement. Then along came the crash and my income crashed, so.the pension is far less than it would have been. Now when I have retired and about to enjoy the nomadic lifestyle this pandemic has scuppered that.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Can’t sell ours as we’ve not taken delivery of it yet, we’ve been vanless since December after selling ours privately and then ordered our new one for collection on 18/4. This seems unlikely now but at no time has it crossed my mind to cancel the order, we might not get a great deal of use out of it this year but as long as we’re fit and healthy we’ll get plenty of use out it in the future.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I hear that the number of Boats for sale in Norfolk have increased a friend who lives there was saying people need the money. So I guess this will hit across the board vans, cars, boats, planes and unfortunately MoHo’s

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
I agree keep if you can, we sold ours last spring as went to NZ for an extended trip over Summer intending to buy a new one this spring but currently looks like that budget may be used up elsewhere.

Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
MH Novice (but a seasoned veteran driver)
Must be a good idea cos Phillip Scofield uses 'we buy any car'...... Yeah right. :giggle:
I took the Smart Car there which I consider to be in fantastic condition... they offered £4k online and offered me ~£3400 in person... They found 4 invisible chips (the bodywork is 90% plastic) hence the lower offer... I told them to ram it

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I nearly sank a large wedge into a new van last month but decided to hold off until I had sold my own, glad I did as I would have been sitting with 2 vans that wouldn't be moving anywhere soon.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
There won't be a recession.

There will be what's called a V economy effect.

When this is over, anyone with money will not be able to keep it in their pockets. This country has lots of wealth sloshing around.

Ask, how many will be desperate to go on holiday? down the pub? get their hair cut, nails done?

it will go on and on and on. You won't be able to get an appointment at the dentist for your new gnashers for love nor money, the car/van will need a service yet the garage will be fully booked for months.

Every penny that gets spent will then go down the line to the factory worker who's working in deliveries and more will employed for the demand...

you might call me optimistic, to me it's just simple mathmatics...

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
Mine might have to go end of September not because of finance but if DVLA require me to have exercise ECG when I have to renew licence at 73 as I had to do at 70.

Jul 31, 2019
Devon
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessecar 584
Exp
Since April 2019
Aim to keep ours as long as kids are OK, one laid off, another not sure, so they may need help in future. We are working from home so have our lunch in MH.... ha... its warmer as well with heating on, can't be putting extra heating on in the home!!!
Grrrr... Pretending to Live the Dream. Smudger55

Deleted User
No plans to sell because we love it. However, I can foresee downward pressure on residual values if people have less descretionary spending funds in the short term.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back