Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
The cost for a motorhome to use the M6 toll is close to a tenner. Whenever I get close I see a notice up saying "congestion between J8 and J10".

All over the motorway network I see a different sign that says J12 is 15 miles away and 13 minutes.

If there was a similar sign on the M6 toll I could make an informed decision. As things stand I always avoid the toll road and usually it's a good decision. It would be just so helpful if they told you the length of the delay.

Skypilot

Free Member
Oct 6, 2010
North Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
A Class.
Exp
Newcomer.
M6 toll Road.

When visiting my partners family in Tamworth, We use the Toll Road every time, well worth it when the alternative is the A5 with all it's varying speed limits and cameras. One flash = 10 trips on the Toll. Even used it last time with my trailer on, now that is "robbery"!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Been that way many times and never used it, if your in a rush then maybe but the maximum ive been delayed is 10-15 mins, just stick to the speed limits and save your money, after all your time is free!!!

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
It's not close to £10, it is £10 with or without trailer.

Here are the prices : Link Removed

We have always used it, it's sooooo quiet and pleasant to drive along, you'll wonder where everyone went. Still B****y expensive though.

The last time I came along the old M6 there were road works setting up a system like the dreaded M25 speed control. Anyone know if this is still going on?

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
I don't know about 'dreaded' speed control. If you mean variable speed limits during periods of congestion, it has worked pretty well on the M25 and now seems to be successful on the M6 and M42. I speak as one who commuted on M6/M42 for best part of 30 years on the West Midlands stretch and wasted a significant proportion of my life stuck in queues. The variable limits came in to coincide with my retirement!
Variable limits work to even flow. Same principle as controlling gas or water in pipes where there are bottlenecks in a system.

Mind you, the interminable time it takes to set up a stretch of road and the consequent 50mph average speed cameras, like on the M1, are a pain in the a**e!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Fell for the bloody lies on those signs twice.. never ever again

Every time we used the toll road we ended up in traffic jams sitting still for ages

Every time one or more of the others in the group have gone round the 'normal' M6 and had no hold up at all.

Each time the signs have stated 'NO DELAYS ON TOLL ROAD'

Like I say, never again, conning buggers ! :Angry:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Congestion signs are a con although the toll road is easier a tenner a time is a bit steep :Angry:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Ive used the M6 Toll in my car loads of times and its brilliant but to expensive with the MH.

The M6 Proper always warns of delays but they are very seldom there. Most people know when and were the M6 will have delays, like at any point from 3pm to 8pm Fridays. :whatthe:

I cant understand why the M6 Toll is so expensive, it must cost as much to maintain as the M6 proper no matter what the volume of traffic and yet theres never any traffic on it. They must be losing a fortune.

Jim
:Smile:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
I have used the roads in the midlands a lot for business travel from the north west to various parts of the south. I try now to use the train whenever possible, but it is not always.

Without doubt if heading for the M40 side the £5 car fee at peak hours is good value for money for business use.

For the motorhome it is a rip off.

However, if I am heading for the M1/A1/A14 I would come off at Stoke and cross country on the A50. This would be my preferred motorhome route as well for this direction.

Motorhome wise I would only pay the £10 IF I had heard some traffic news that said I was in for over an hours delay on one of my alternative routes.

In this really bad weather if snow is falling heavily I would stick to the M6 as I know the gritting regime and volume of traffic would keep it clear, if slow.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I have used the roads in the midlands a lot for business travel from the north west to various parts of the south. I try now to use the train whenever possible, but it is not always.

Without doubt if heading for the M40 side the £5 car fee at peak hours is good value for money for business use.

For the motorhome it is a rip off.

However, if I am heading for the M1/A1/A14 I would come off at Stoke and cross country on the A50. This would be my preferred motorhome route as well for this direction.

Motorhome wise I would only pay the £10 IF I had heard some traffic news that said I was in for over an hours delay on one of my alternative routes.

In this really bad weather if snow is falling heavily I would stick to the M6 as I know the gritting regime and volume of traffic would keep it clear, if slow.

Good route planning.
Jim
:thumb:

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
I use it - as somebody else said, it's a pleasure to drive along usually.

It has occurred to me though, that if there is a delay they should give you back your dosh! After all, it's supposed to be there to speed your journey - if it's not fit for purpose............:Smile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I cant understand why the M6 Toll is so expensive, it must cost as much to maintain as the M6 proper no matter what the volume of traffic and yet theres never any traffic on it. They must be losing a fortune.

Jim
:Smile:

I understand it is actually a privately owned road Jim ( I remember when it was first opened there was considerable debate on biker forums about the speed limits etc.. Of course they are the same as on any other road but it DID lead to a lot of speculation and a fair bit of wishful thinking !

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Never used the M6 Toll, have used the toll roads in France however to go south, Good value!
Don't think it would be a good idea for M/Ways in UK to go toll though, BUT with this bloody government anything is possible!

Skypilot

Free Member
Oct 6, 2010
North Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
A Class.
Exp
Newcomer.
Never used the M6 Toll, have used the toll roads in France however to go south, Good value!
Don't think it would be a good idea for M/Ways in UK to go toll though, BUT with this bloody government anything is possible!

It would be a fairer system if they introduced Road Tolls and a bit more tax on fuel and got rid of road tax on vehicles, like they do in Switzerland, seems to work OK for them!! Mind You, things would improve if the road tax was actually used to maintain the roads!!!!! I pay the same road tax as everyone else and our roads up here are atrocious compared to other parts of the country!!

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
What is it with the British? The answer to everything is "put the price up". Alchohol, junk food now driving!
Everything that most people do or use responsibly, if it gives you pleasure put the sodding price up!

So my answer is a resounding NO. :Angry:

Northerner

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
What is it with the British? The answer to everything is "put the price up". Alchohol, junk food now driving!
Everything that most people do or use responsibly, if it gives you pleasure put the sodding price up!

So my answer is a resounding NO. :Angry:

You're getting wound up over nothing! It's not just Britain. Have you ever tried buying an alcoholic drink in Sweden? Anyway, there are no plans to introduce tolls on Britain's motorways and there are no plans to introduce taxes on so-called 'junk food'. Just because the odd person thinks that something's a good idea, doesn't mean that the government will adopt it. So calm down and enjoy Christmas! :Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
...I was wondering... is that yes or no?

JJ

Merry Christmas everyone...

sorry the link didn't work for you JJ

here it is verbatim

M6 Motorway (Birmingham Toll)

An M6 Toll Mobility Exemption Pass is available to people who get the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance and are exempt from paying vehicle tax. The Mobility Exemption Pass and allows free passage for the nominated vehicle only, when the eligible person is present.

Organisations which operate a vehicle used for the carriage of disabled people and are recognised by the Secretary of State for Transport can also get a Mobility Exemption Pass.

There is an administration charge of £15 for issuing a pass, change of vehicle details and pass renewals. The pass is valid for three years.

Request an application form by email or telephone, or download one from the M6 Toll website.

Customer Services
Midland Expressway Limited

Telephone: 0870 850 6262
Email: customer.services@m6toll.co.uk

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
You're getting wound up over nothing! It's not just Britain. Have you ever tried buying an alcoholic drink in Sweden? Anyway, there are no plans to introduce tolls on Britain's motorways and there are no plans to introduce taxes on so-called 'junk food'. Just because the odd person thinks that something's a good idea, doesn't mean that the government will adopt it. So calm down and enjoy Christmas! :Smile:

Not wound up really, just don't understand the mindset. ::bigsmile:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
If using this road in the small hours (why would you?) do be careful as quite a few very fast cars use this as a racetrack at weekends

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back