Problems with computer switching off itself without notice every evening.... (1 Viewer)

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I had a kind of similar problem with a laptop that turned out to be a problem with the thermal paste between the processor chip and the heat sink/fan assembly. The paste had somehow dried up and was not making good thermal contact, so the processor was overheating and cutting out. I cleaned off the old paste and re-applied new paste, and that sorted it out.

An app like the one in Gellyneck's post will show you if the processor is overheating.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
McAfee and Norton were invented by the devil they make your PC run slower. Use the free AVG used it for 10 years never had a virus problem.

Disconnect the printer see what happens if it does not shut down then printer problem ring their help/ support line.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Have you looked in Event viewer? Hit the Windows key and type the word event. Event viewer should pop up. Look at system logs around the restart. You probably will need to Google the event id's. Then look at application logs for the same time setting. Serious errors will be marked red, but are sometimes preceded by an non critical error that is the root cause.

I've only once found a Windows crash where the cause wasn't logged in some cryptic form.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
WJACC
Jan 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
DBM 7150
Exp
Since 2016
Have you looked in Event viewer? Hit the Windows key and type the word event. Event viewer should pop up. Look at system logs around the restart. You probably will need to Google the event id's. Then look at application logs for the same time setting. Serious errors will be marked red, but are sometimes preceded by an non critical error that is the root cause.

I've only once found a Windows crash where the cause wasn't logged in some cryptic form.
Hi

in the last 24 hours 9 criticals as below,

Critical 19/03/2020 18:22:46 Kernel-Power 41 (63)

Relates to 'the system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first'

Just about to work through Windows 10 support to see if there is anything I can do.

Thanks again.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Just tried, nothing with a yellow exclamation mark...

Thanks again
OK. Have you tried running Speccy as yet?
I'm leaning towards either overheating or a hardware fault (perhaps power supply is on it's way out, loose connector on mobo, gpu, ram, etc. or a physical flaw on one of these).
You can check the ram by selecting Administrative Tools in Control Panel (it'll require a reboot).

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Rather than a reboot, have you done a complete shutdown and allowed it to sit unpowered for a while then restarted it?

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
WJACC I think the kernal error is the same sort of message I was getting ( I did a screen dump at the time and deleted them last week when tidying up ). There is a good video on youtube of updating hp bios by hp . posted 1 month ago.

OP
OP
WJACC
Jan 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
DBM 7150
Exp
Since 2016
OK. Have you tried running Speccy as yet?
I'm leaning towards either overheating or a hardware fault (perhaps power supply is on it's way out, loose connector on mobo, gpu, ram, etc. or a physical flaw on one of these).
You can check the ram by selecting Administrative Tools in Control Panel (it'll require a reboot).

I've tried speccy, average temperature of CPU is 37C - 39C, occasional spike to 43C, storage 36C

Nothing else on the summary is highlighting an issue.

OP
OP
WJACC
Jan 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
DBM 7150
Exp
Since 2016
Rather than a reboot, have you done a complete shutdown and allowed it to sit unpowered for a while then restarted it?

6 weeks while we were in Spain, arrived back Monday, problem worse not better. Serves us right for keeping going away..

OP
OP
WJACC
Jan 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
DBM 7150
Exp
Since 2016
WJACC I think the kernal error is the same sort of message I was getting ( I did a screen dump at the time and deleted them last week when tidying up ). There is a good video on youtube of updating hp bios by hp . posted 1 month ago.

Problem I have is I've searched for an update to the BIOS already on my system, which is dated 24/12/2015 , A0.06 and I can't find one. I set the HP manual search going this morning, should take 3 minutes, it was going after 3 hours.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
6 weeks while we were in Spain, arrived back Monday, problem worse not better. Serves us right for keeping going away..
Perhaps its sulking for not you not taking it on holiday with you! :giggle:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I've tried speccy, average temperature of CPU is 37C - 39C, occasional spike to 43C, storage 36C

Nothing else on the summary is highlighting an issue.
OK, it's not overheating (when you took the readings!) as the temperatures look well within acceptable norms.
This is unless the "shutdown" settings are set very low in the BIOS however I wouldn't expect them to be this low. Never seen them, generally, below 70C however you may want to check in the BIOS.
If you've also got the latest BIOS installed then, unfortunately, I think this points us towards a hardware issue, either connection or impending component failure.
Given you had the unit to your local repair guy I would assume they checked all the connectors(?) so it could be an impending component failure, eg a capacitor going on the mobo, etc.
As you are experiencing an intermittent fault it's very difficult to diagnose with any great certainty and if it is something like that the cost of investigation \ repair would start to get prohibitive and you be better off replacing the unit.
Not sure where else I can point you to check, sorry.
One thing I would urge you to do immediately, if you haven't already done so, is back-up all your data contained on the unit to an external hard drive \ USB stick.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
McAfee and Norton were invented by the devil they make your PC run slower.
I was told by an expert that addon antivirus programs whether paid or free (AVG, Avast!) are inferior to that built in to Win10 and slow down startup. They are less effective because they only startup after the OS installs by which time a virus could already have activated.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I'd start by running an intensive memory test. If that is clear try removing and re-seating everything that you can. So memory, CPU, graphics card if fitted, etc. These steps are easy and come with no cost. the fault is quite possibly temperature-dependant so anything with contacts that can be affected by movement is suspect.

OP
OP
WJACC
Jan 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
DBM 7150
Exp
Since 2016
I'd start by running an intensive memory test. If that is clear try removing and re-seating everything that you can. So memory, CPU, graphics card if fitted, etc. These steps are easy and come with no cost. the fault is quite possibly temperature-dependant so anything with contacts that can be affected by movement is suspect.
Thanks

I've just run the windows diagnostic memory check, nothing was found.

Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
I would make a bootable usb memory stick with Win10 or Linux on and boot off that. Then if the computer does reboot you know you have a hardware issue not software.

There are lots of Youtube vids about making a bootable memory stick....you don't need it to do anything other than boot.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I was told by an expert .......
To understand what makes an expert you break the word into two. An ex is someone past it or in the past. A spurt is a drip under pressure. :roflmto: Beware anyone who describes themselves thus.
Seriously though, I have 30+ years in IT and some might say I am highly experienced, but there are huge areas of IT I know next to nought about.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back