Problems with computer switching off itself without notice every evening.... (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
DBM 7150
Exp
Since 2016
About 6pm every evening my desktop just switches off and after about 20 minutes switches back on. It is a HP 'All in One'. May happen 3 times during the evening, NEVER during the day. No longer under warranty so took it to the local repair shop who couldn't find anything.

Recently we decided we needed a new printer. Chose the Epson XP-352, Wifi printer. This is the only thing we have knowingly changed in a similar timeframe to when the problems started..

Any ideas, as it beginning to get on our nerves.

Thanks in advance.

Wendy

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
About 6pm every evening my desktop just switches off and after about 20 minutes switches back on. It is a HP 'All in One'. May happen 3 times during the evening, NEVER during the day. No longer under warranty so took it to the local repair shop who couldn't find anything.

Recently we decided we needed a new printer. Chose the Epson XP-352, Wifi printer. This is the only thing we have knowingly changed in a similar timeframe to when the problems started..

Thanks in advance.

Wendy
Buy an Apple Mac, you will never look back...

Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8

Thanks in advance.

Wendy
Mmm that’s odd - our central heating is doing that and it’s not set to that time!

OP
OP
WJACC
Jan 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
DBM 7150
Exp
Since 2016
pappajohn Bill_OR Checked power settings, screen set to NEVER, sleep set to 3 hours. Are there any others hidden away? Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
WJACC
Jan 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
DBM 7150
Exp
Since 2016
Seriously p****d off now, having said it NEVER switches off during the day, it just switched off for 15 mins, just after I set McAffe off to do a full scan.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Almost certainly McAfee conflicting with something. See this thread for example.

Despite the hype from the Apple brand lovers, an apple a day does not keep the problems away and Apple Mac's are not immune from this type of issue! That's not saying they no good. Just that they are not THAT good! ;)

Used to be able to say that its was problems with McAfee code, but these sorts of issues hit all of the security products at some point. I run Avast with other security products in the background as it's less bloated than Symantec and McAfee. However I cannot recommend it, or any of the other's unconditionally. Don't be worried about trying them, but disable or uninstall whatever you have installed currently.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
I just bought a new laptop from a business computer supplier - as opposed to PC World etc - who said simply rely on the Window 10 anti-virus rather than McAfee/Norton etc.

I have to say that those bought-in systems have always slowed my computers or thrown in other problems.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
WJACC do you happen to be using it more around 18:00?
If so, could it be overheating as HP kit will have protection for this built in. It will be in the BIOS \ UEFI settings but you can cross that bridge when you've identified if it is overheating issue or not.
If it's a desktop have you ever opened it up as the cooling fans could be sitting clogged with fluff, etc especially if on a "dusty" surface \ location (eg sitting on a carpet).
Assuming it's Windows operating system install and run Speccy (Broken Link Removed - the free version). This will display the temperatures of various components, eg CPU, mobo, hard disc, etc.

OP
OP
WJACC
Jan 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
DBM 7150
Exp
Since 2016
WJACC do you happen to be using it more around 18:00?
If so, could it be overheating as HP kit will have protection for this built in. It will be in the BIOS \ UEFI settings but you can cross that bridge when you've identified if it is overheating issue or not.
If it's a desktop have you ever opened it up as the cooling fans could be sitting clogged with fluff, etc especially if on a "dusty" surface \ location (eg sitting on a carpet).
Assuming it's Windows operating system install and run Speccy (Broken Link Removed - the free version). This will display the temperatures of various components, eg CPU, mobo, hard disc, etc.

It's been checked over, cleaned, fan is working etc. It will switch off if you are using it or if it left while I'm doing something else.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
It's been checked over, cleaned, fan is working etc. It will switch off if you are using it or if it left while I'm doing something else.
What is the exact model number? What version of Windows is it running?

OP
OP
WJACC
Jan 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
DBM 7150
Exp
Since 2016
What is the exact model number? What version of Windows is it running?

HP 23-q105na

Windows 10 PRO Version 1903

Thanks

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Why does my computer turn off by itself Windows 10?
Windows menu > Settings > System > Power & sleep > Additional power settings > Choose what the power button does > Change settings that are currently unavailable > Scroll down to the Shutdown settings : uncheck Fast Startup. ... Change "Sleep after" to 0, which should change it to "Never".

Why does my computer turn on and off repeatedly?
The power supply tends to cause more problems than any other piece of hardware and is very often the cause of a computer turning off by itself. ... Try reseating the following and then see if your computer stays on: Reseat all internal data and power cables. Reseat the memory modules.8 Nov 2019

An overheating power supply, due to a malfunctioning fan, can cause a computer to shut off unexpectedly. Continuing to use the faulty power supply can result in damage to the computer and should be replaced immediately. ... Software utilities, such as SpeedFan, can also be used to help monitor fans in your computer.1 Dec 2019

I am no expert but does any of this ring a bell?

OP
OP
WJACC
Jan 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
DBM 7150
Exp
Since 2016
I am no expert but does any of this ring a bell?

Most of it unfortunately, I'll work my way through them and let you know how I get on. Reseating internal data cables and memory modules may be beyond me. ;) :whistle:

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Most of it unfortunately, I'll work my way through them and let you know how I get on. Reseating internal data cables and memory modules may be beyond me. ;) :whistle:
Now, I have done that when adding RAM cards so it's not that difficult if you can get into it. Whilst in there have a look at the fans and dust on the processor. Most cables have a plug so just unplug and replug.

Good luck

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
HP 23-q105na

Windows 10 PRO Version 1903

Thanks
OK, assuming your local shop has checked out the hardware and all is well with it it probably has to be a firmware \ software \ driver issue. Do you know if your local guys checked if there's an update for the BIOS as part of their checks?
Also, I see you're still on 1903 Windows. Have you tried updating to 1909?

OP
OP
WJACC
Jan 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
DBM 7150
Exp
Since 2016
OK, assuming your local shop has checked out the hardware and all is well with it it probably has to be a firmware \ software \ driver issue. Do you know if your local guys checked if there's an update for the BIOS as part of their checks?
Also, I see you're still on 1903 Windows. Have you tried updating to 1909?
No idea about the BIOS, we're on lockdown in France so it'll be difficult to ask at the moment.

Am installing 1909 as I type..

Thanks again

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
No idea about the BIOS, we're on lockdown in France so it'll be difficult to ask at the moment.

Am installing 1909 as I type..

Thanks again
There's normally a diagnostic tool installed by HP on their kit. Do you have it? Have you tried running it?

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
WJACC My HP laptop used to turn off then restart without warning at any time.. some times up to six times a day ..
Sometimes as you are just about to pay for someting. It was under warranty and the fix was an update of the BIOS . Since then its been fine ?

OP
OP
WJACC
Jan 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
DBM 7150
Exp
Since 2016
There's normally a diagnostic tool installed by HP on their kit. Do you have it? Have you tried running it?

It has switched off again, and again. Bios revision date is 24/12/2015. Spoke to the computer shop owner, he really hasn't any answers, so following your lead and Vanderek above how do I update the Bios?

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
IF you are opening it up, be aware of the static issue. Always get a good grab on the chassis (metalwork) with one hand before touching any other component.

Also if pulling out connectors, get yourself some good contact and switch cleaner, Servisol , Electrolube or similar, (NOT WD40) and give it a squirt before reconnecting. You can get it on-line. If it mentions 'lubricates' you don't want it as it contains oil.

There's no black art here, just common sense. Make sure it's unplugged from the mains before opening.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
A suggestions, if it's not already been made, is that it could be doing some background updating after which it is restarting so check your programme etc updating settings.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
It has switched off again, and again. Bios revision date is 24/12/2015. Spoke to the computer shop owner, he really hasn't any answers, so following your lead and Vanderek above how do I update the Bios?
Have a very careful read here. https://support.hp.com/ph-en/document/c00007682
I have never had a BIOS update fail but be aware of the risks associated with flashing the BIOS.
I would suggest the simplest option for you would be to use HP Support Assistant (the first one).
When you run it it will access the web (so make sure you're on a reliable connection) and advise on available packages (including BIOS if update available). It should then just be a matter of following the instructions. It's been ages since I've used HP kit (not a particular fan) but it was fairly simple when I last did it.

OP
OP
WJACC
Jan 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
DBM 7150
Exp
Since 2016
Have a very careful read here. https://support.hp.com/ph-en/document/c00007682
I have never had a BIOS update fail but be aware of the risks associated with flashing the BIOS.
I would suggest the simplest option for you would be to use HP Support Assistant (the first one).
When you run it it will access the web (so make sure you're on a reliable connection) and advise on available packages (including BIOS if update available). It should then just be a matter of following the instructions. It's been ages since I've used HP kit (not a particular fan) but it was fairly simple when I last did it.

Unfortunately, I'd already checked and there were none. So I'm now doing the manual search, but it is taking a lot longer than the 3 minutes suggested. Tried the HP diagnostics but no issues found. So I think I'll have to contact HP even though it is out of warranty.

Thanks again.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
I have had to do this once. Back up all data. Flatten the computer to absolute basics and re-instal Windows and progs. Re-instal data.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Unfortunately, I'd already checked and there were none. So I'm now doing the manual search, but it is taking a lot longer than the 3 minutes suggested. Tried the HP diagnostics but no issues found. So I think I'll have to contact HP even though it is out of warranty.

Thanks again.
Mmmmmh, that's a bummer!
Last thing to try before HP contact.
Left click the "Start" button
Type in "Control Panel"
Left click "Control Panel" in the drop down that opens
Change "View by" to "Small Icons"
Left click "Device Manager"
Do any of the entries in the screen that opens have a Yellow Exclamation Mark next to them?

OP
OP
WJACC
Jan 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
DBM 7150
Exp
Since 2016
Mmmmmh, that's a bummer!
Last thing to try before HP contact.
Left click the "Start" button
Type in "Control Panel"
Left click "Control Panel" in the drop down that opens
Change "View by" to "Small Icons"
Left click "Device Manager"
Do any of the entries in the screen that opens have a Yellow Exclamation Mark next to them?

Just tried, nothing with a yellow exclamation mark...

Thanks again

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back