Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Have you locked your keys in the car?

Does your car have remote keyless entry? This may come in handy someday.

If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are at home, call someone at home on their mobile phone from your cell phone.

Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the person at your home press the unlock button, holding it near the mobile phone at their end.
Your car will unlock.

Saves someone from having to drive your keys to you. Distance is no object, you could be hundreds of miles
away, if you can reach someone who has the other 'remote' for your car, you can unlock the doors.

I didn’t believe this when I heard about it so I got my wife to go out in the snow until she was far enough away from the car that the remote was out of range, she then rang my mobile, (I was in the warm garage next to the car, we tried the method as described above and Bingo the car unlocked.

Hope this helps someone who is in the unfortunate position of stupidly locking their keys in the car!!:thumb:

Northerner

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
Have you locked your keys in the car?

Does your car have remote keyless entry? This may come in handy someday.

If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are at home, call someone at home on their mobile phone from your cell phone.

Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the person at your home press the unlock button, holding it near the mobile phone at their end.
Your car will unlock.

Saves someone from having to drive your keys to you. Distance is no object, you could be hundreds of miles
away, if you can reach someone who has the other 'remote' for your car, you can unlock the doors.

I didn’t believe this when I heard about it so I got my wife to go out in the snow until she was far enough away from the car that the remote was out of range, she then rang my mobile, (I was in the warm garage next to the car, we tried the method as described above and Bingo the car unlocked.

Hope this helps someone who is in the unfortunate position of stupidly locking their keys in the car!!:thumb:

This is an urban myth!

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_unlock_door.htm

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12joSKf2fas[/ame]

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
Yep, used to work years ago with the old types of remotes.

These were easy to capture and replay so they were phased out. Replaced by technology that means this has not worked for a decade or so now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gooney
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Yep, used to work years ago with the old types of remotes.

These were easy to capture and replay so they were phased out. Replaced by technology that means this has not worked for a decade or so now.

Sorry, I have just run the Urban Myth link but I still stand by the fact that just an hour ago I tried this as stated in my thread and it DID work!! also I'd only had a small tot in my coffee.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
That video explains why our bloomin wireless doorbell chimes when we zap the van! Jane :roflmto:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Sorry, I have just run the Urban Myth link but I still stand by the fact that just an hour ago I tried this as stated in my thread and it DID work!! also I'd only had a small tot in my coffee.

But it was poor test, how sure are you that you were out of range ? If you really want to test it, get in your car and drive a mile.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
That video explains why our bloomin wireless doorbell chimes when we zap the van! Jane :roflmto:

Simple radio remotes all grouped on to one or two licenced frequencies, the cheaper and less secure applications, such as a door bell will be set to pick up just about anything. It should not work the other way, you door bell will not open the van because the remote transmits a secure code.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
2 blondes locked themselves out of their car, but, one remembered that her boyfriend taught her how to unlock the car with a piece of wire. Removing the wire from her bra, she tried to unlock the car, and after half an hour her friend said, "l wish you would hurry up"!, "It's starting to rain, and the hood is down"!

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
This is absolute nonsense, it does not work now and it never did! Modern remote locking systems use radio frequency signals which cannot be picked up and transferred the nreplayed via mobile phone networks. Older remote locking systems used infra red which again cannot be picked up and transmitted via mobile phone networks.

IT IS AN URBAN MYTH AND ALWAYS HAS BEEN!

D.

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
There were some remotes it did work with at one stage.

It was that long ago though that mobile phones were analogue if that made any difference.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
This is absolute nonsense, it does not work now and it never did! Modern remote locking systems use radio frequency signals which cannot be picked up and transferred the nreplayed via mobile phone networks. Older remote locking systems used infra red which again cannot be picked up and transmitted via mobile phone networks.

IT IS AN URBAN MYTH AND ALWAYS HAS BEEN!

D.
but it worked for me Dave.
last time this garbage emerged i was gullible enough to try and it did work.....then i realised i was outside the house and she was inside on the phone with the fob..

worked just as well without the phone :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Gooney
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
But it was poor test, how sure are you that you were out of range ? If you really want to test it, get in your car and drive a mile.

I agree Brian, it was a poor short range test but how chauvenistic do you think I am, I couldn't possibly send her any further away in this weather.:RollEyes:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Buy a GM product with on star when you lock your self Ring GM and they will unlock it remotely where ever you are.......works on satalites.....problem is it is also an on board tracker which sounds helpful......until the letter comes in the post saying you have covered another 3000 miles your car is due for service......big brother I couldn't believe it when that first letter dropped in the letter box.

All the best Rick.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
There were some remotes it did work with at one stage.

It was that long ago though that mobile phones were analogue if that made any difference.

No there wasn't! IT IS IMPOSSIBLE!

Mobile phones pick up your voice or other noise, that is a vibration of the air within the audible frequency. This sound is converted to radio wave frequencies and transmitted (this bit hasn't changed from analogue days). The receiving phone converts the radio frequency signal back to audible frequency and plays it out via a small speaker to your ear.

No car remote sytem that I've EVER heard of has EVER used audible frequency signals that could be picked up by a microphone and replayed through a speaker to operate a remote locking system, IT IS IMPOSSIBLE!

Microphones pick up audible frequency range i.e 20hz to 20,000hz approximately. modern radio frequency remotes work in the 466Mhz range so no microphone ever made could pick them up and no speaker ever made could replay them.

Earlier infra red remote systems use light in the infra red part of the spectrum, again no microphone ever made could pick up light of any wavelength and no speaker ever made could replay it.

Unless you can give a good and coherent explanation of how it could ever work then give up, it does not work, it has never worked, end of story!

D.

OP
OP
Gooney
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
When I opened this thread I clearly stated I did not believe it, but being bored stuck in because of the weather I tried it, it did work, but as mentioned by Brian it was a poor test, we were not far away enough between the car and the key to prove it conclusively and in hindsight the range of my key was probably on the edge of it's limits and coincidentally worked when we tried it next to the phone......................... However, do you not believe in MAGIC!! ::bigsmile:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I believe you "Gooney".... :thumb:

When you first put started this thread at 3-15pm,,, I thought I must try that.....

It did not work on my car door... :Blush:

But the "Oyster" system on the RV... popped up and ever since has been going round and round like a headless chicken.. :Doh:

Spose I`ll have to wait till the battery goes flat...

Or do you think it better if I disconect the mains supply to the RV..? :winky:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
When I opened this thread I clearly stated I did not believe it, but being bored stuck in because of the weather I tried it, it did work, but as mentioned by Brian it was a poor test, we were not far away enough between the car and the key to prove it conclusively and in hindsight the range of my key was probably on the edge of it's limits and coincidentally worked when we tried it next to the phone......................... However, do you not believe in MAGIC!! ::bigsmile:

No I don't but I do know how stuff works and therefore why this cock eyed idea has NEVER WORKED!

D.

P.s my capitals words are not shouting just trying to emphasise the point.

OP
OP
Gooney
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I believe you "Gooney".... :thumb:

When you first put started this thread at 3-15pm,,, I thought I must try that.....

It did not work on my car door... :Blush:

But the "Oyster" system on the RV... popped up and ever since has been going round and round like a headless chicken.. :Doh:

Spose I`ll have to wait till the battery goes flat...

Or do you think it better if I disconect the mains supply to the RV..? :winky:

I think the usual solution, as in computers, when something happens that you cannot explain is to 'reboot' it, ie: turn off the power to it and switch it back on!!

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
strangely what does appear to work, and i have tried it many times, is if you get a distance from your car and think did I lock it? try the fob but no reaction try putting fob to your forehead and trying again works every time at much greater distances weird or what!:thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
No thats not strange and does work to very good effect,and is explained by your body becoming an aerial /amplifier, boosting the signal:thumb:
your chin works just as well:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back