Free Member
Dec 10, 2019
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Afternoon fellow 'Globbies'.
We took delivery of our new Globescout Plus on Monday and have been sourcing and fitting equipment over the week.
The 'dealer' said the gas locker would take 2 x 6kg calor bottles but having measured the door opening and the size of the locker I think it would take 2 x 13kg bottles.
What do you have?
P.S. I realise a refillable system is the ideal solution but finances wont allow it at the moment.

Cheers,
Andy

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Afternoon fellow 'Globbies'.
We took delivery of our new Globescout Plus on Monday and have been sourcing and fitting equipment over the week.
The 'dealer' said the gas locker would take 2 x 6kg calor bottles but having measured the door opening and the size of the locker I think it would take 2 x 13kg bottles.
What do you have?
P.S. I realise a refillable system is the ideal solution but finances wont allow it at the moment.

Cheers,
Andy
We have removed the collars from our Alugas cylinders to be able to squeeze them in to the locker.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: f6c

andynkim

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 85
Exp
Since 2007
made this little table for my reference might help.
Gas Bottles

Calor
13kg 580mm high 315mm diameter
6kg 495mm high 256 diameter

Gasit
11kg 550mm high x 304mm diameter. (Shroud removed)
6kg 470mm high x 246mm diameter. (Shroud removed)

Gaslow
11kg 580mm high x 304mm diameter
6kg 492mm high x 246mm diameter

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Globecar gas lockers are usually sized for continental 11kg bottles. You should find 2 x 11kg Flogas bottles will fit, or one 13kg Calor plus 1 6kg Calor. There is room inside the locker for 2 x 13kg, but you can't get the 2nd one through the door once the 1st one is in place - or at least that was my experience with my Campscout.

Flogas also deliver to your door. When doing a series of long weekends away, I just wait until one bottle is empty, then order another. If I want to leave for a longish trip with two full bottles, I have a 6kg bottle I can use to juggle timings to suit. There are quite a few places to swap Flogas bottles around the country, but they aren't everywhere like Calor. We set off for Scandinavia for 6 weeks over August & September with 2 x 11kg full & still had half a bottle left when we got back home.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
fit refillables
as big as you can
ajugas if you are really struggling with weight

Every refillable we have had has paid for itself quickly

Ive paid as low as 28p a litre for gas in Luxembourg when we first fitted it, possibly 15 years ago. I pay around 40-65p a litre now.

Calor is expensive and you end up giving some back if you need to take full bottles away.

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
We have removed the collars from our Alugas cylinders to be able to squeeze them in to the locker.
We did likewise for our Elddis 194 and fitted a single 14kg Alugas, not worried it’s a single cylinder, it’s a lot of gas! Big advantage for us as the locker is aft of the rear wheel is it’s lower overall weight.
F50BBF03-7021-40A6-AB24-F7AB09AE660F.jpeg

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Another vote for Alugas here due to significant weight save, we could get the 14kg in by removing the collar/shroud.

Have a chat with Autogas 2000.

• Informative
Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
A

andart

Free Member
Dec 10, 2019
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Globecar gas lockers are usually sized for continental 11kg bottles. You should find 2 x 11kg Flogas bottles will fit, or one 13kg Calor plus 1 6kg Calor. There is room inside the locker for 2 x 13kg, but you can't get the 2nd one through the door once the 1st one is in place - or at least that was my experience with my Campscout.

Thanks 'the caller' that is exactly the kind of insight I was looking for!

cheers, Andy

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We did likewise for our Elddis 194 and fitted a single 14kg Alugas, not worried it’s a single cylinder, it’s a lot of gas! Big advantage for us as the locker is aft of the rear wheel is it’s lower overall weight.View attachment 367584
You are asking for trouble with the regulator in that installation.
The regulator should always be mounted above the cylinders with the gas pipe sloping down to the cylinder.
Would have been better with an 11kg bottle and the regulator turned through 90°.

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
You are asking for trouble with the regulator in that installation.
The regulator should always be mounted above the cylinders with the gas pipe sloping down to the cylinder.
Would have been better with an 11kg bottle and the regulator turned through 90°.
Spoke to Chris at Autogas about that very issue, his advice was as the system is vapour draw off and the cylinder has an 80% fill limiter the significance is the regulator height in comparison to liquid gas level in the cylinder. As the fluid maximum height in the 14kg cylinder will at 80% be well below the crown of the cylinder he didn’t consider the regulator height a problem.
Photo is also slightly misleading as it’s a ‘graft’ of two images to get the point over, actual original image is below!
image.jpg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Spoke to Chris at Autogas about that very issue, his advice was as the system is vapour draw off and the cylinder has an 80% fill limiter the significance is the regulator height in comparison to liquid gas level in the cylinder. As the fluid maximum height in the 14kg cylinder will at 80% be well below the crown of the cylinder he didn’t consider the regulator height a problem.
Photo is also slightly misleading as it’s a ‘graft’ of two images to get the point over, actual original image is below!View attachment 367741
That looks better.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Welcome.
You could use just one bottle, if cost or payload is a consideration. A refillable would have the benefit of you not running short unexpectedly (assuming that you fill up before each trip), saving initial outlay and payload. A refillable could be moved from van to van, so you could recoup the investment in the long term - or even sell it to recover the cost.
I'd always get the largest size you can fit. Salesmen will say anything without putting their brains in gear. They may not have any idea about what size will fit but wouldn't want to admit it. Check one in place before you part with money.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back