Whining 1st gear/ Talbot Express (1 Viewer)

Stevo71

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
Funster No
Hi folks,
can anyone please advise?
I have bought a Talbot Highwayman which I love however it makes a awful whining sound when taking off in 1st gear.
does anyone know roughly what this may be as the vehicle is a 1988 model and although is in good condition ian aware she's an old girl and will need attention.
Cheers
Steve

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Steve and welcome.

sounds to me like the phosphor bronze/brass bush in the gear wheel is slightly worn....also maybe the gear shaft too.
the whine is the input and output gears running slightly out of mesh.

is the oil level correct ?

maybe a gearbox oil change may help but if it is worn theres not a lot can be done without a strip down and replace any worn parts

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The older Seval cabs were never very good on gearboxes,but if its only whining in first I would drain the gearbox and refill with the correct gearoil and bung a can of Molyslip in it.It could go on like that for years.Common fault with them is jumping out of 5th on the overrun,then its a case of a new 5th gear but not expensive if done bt somone that knows what they are doing,it can be done with the gearbox in situ.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S

Stevo71

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
Funster No
Talbot whine

Thanks for the rapid replied folks,
yes the old has been sittin for a long time.
Iam going to service it first thing so I'll drain and throw in some oil.
You've been very helpful, what sort of reputation do these engined and dgearboxes have, the chap I bought it off said the engines are unburstable but I guess he would, as I said it's an '88 with 25,000 miles on the clock!!! I reckon she been round the odometer meself!!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
as I said it's an '88 with 25,000 miles on the clock!!! I reckon she been round the odometer meself!!
Engine really is great but the gear box can e a bit iffy ( but then, you have already found that out LOL !!)

I would be willing to bet a lot of money that the 25k miles is not far off being right.. It is amazing how many MH from the late 80's are around with 20 to 60k miles on them :thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sorry.. sort of jumped the gun there !
Just sort of presumed it was the 2.4 ( ish ) weasel lump.. but of course it could just as easily be any of the others that were fitted including the petrol option

OP
OP
S

Stevo71

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
Funster No
Talbot whine

It's a 2.0 petrol. Finished in cream! With brown stripes.
Actually I've just thought on.... Whoever owned it before me has built god awful cabinets above the cab, iam going remove them in due course, however iam going to need to get a replacement double mattres - can anyone recommend a supplier of either new or used interiors??
Thanks again everyone
Steve

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
Hi.
Don't put molyslip in your gearbox. :Eeek: It will stop the bauking rings from doing there job. For example, you will end up crashing the gears because the sincro hubs won't be doing there job.

PK

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
If you need any mech. spares you should try www.delfindesigns.co.uk
he is also very very good at G/Boxes, he makes the G/Box up grade that puts an end to the Talbot wiggle/ woggle gear stick flaying your knuckles on the dash.
Is it one of the old Pilotes you have? If so try Hayes Leisure 0121 526 3433 they might beable to source a mattress for you.

Good Luck!

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
One other thing, make sure you have g/box oil in your g/box.

Engine oil is a "mineral deposit oil", G/box oil is an "oil extreme pressure" oil.

The garage we used to get our old girl seviced in, had that slacka***d attitude of putting engine oil in our g/box until we actually caught them at it.

Once again, Good Luck!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back