Spotted on the bird table today part 2 (1 Viewer)

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
005a.jpg

still shaking ! what a brilliant Red Kite ::bigsmile:

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
OMG Brilliant pic, he must be hungry though with the snow so deep , John just been for more nuts for the little birds are flocking to the seeders even with the dogs about :RollEyes::RollEyes:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Nice piccie wish we had those they are gorgeous. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
dylan

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Kath, we have run out of peanuts and can't get out yet - just put some scraps out and Mark said its gone dark quick a big bird and there he was, just amazing

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Brilliant , the wildlife in our country is fabulous , keep watching !

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Super picture Eileen, the birds seem to have disappeared here this year, nothing on the feeders whenever I look out of the window, not ours nor next doors bird table.
Still full of peanuts after a month, must be the wrong brand, hee hee.

Chani

Free Member
Mar 26, 2009
Somerset
Funster No
the birds seem to have disappeared here this year, nothing on the feeders whenever I look out of the window, not ours nor next doors bird table.

We're seeing the same thing here. There seem to be far fewer great tits, blue tits, and finches this year. The long tailed tits still turn up mob-handed on a regular basis, but not nearly the number of other species I'd expect to see plenty of. Strange. :Confused:

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
We've got 3 reed buntings at our feeder quite regularly at the mo....I think the next doors cats have frightened the rest off. Gonna buy a BB gun to frighten the bl**dy cats off...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
We're seeing the same thing here. There seem to be far fewer great tits, blue tits, and finches this year. The long tailed tits still turn up mob-handed on a regular basis, but not nearly the number of other species I'd expect to see plenty of. Strange. :Confused:

We thought that too...:Sad:

During the coldest spell they weren't around at all.

We kept putting out food...and as important...water frequently for them.

Seeing more of them now which is good.

The robin is around as are some of the other Blackbirds and small birds making homes in the bushes by out front windows.

Hope they all return in the warmer weather.:thumb:

GRRK171006-9619thumb.jpg

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Kath, we have run out of peanuts and can't get out yet - just put some scraps out and Mark said its gone dark quick a big bird and there he was, just amazing

Eileen, This is such a special photo of a Red Kite as they normally feed on meaty morsels I believe.... :RollEyes::RollEyes: i would send it to a daily rag ...they may publish it :thumb::thumb: well done !

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.

We're in Torridge (the northern part of middle Devon not as far north as Roger) and our garden has scores of birds in it, all day. We've seen - as you would expect - sparrows, robins, chaffinches, blue tits, blackbirds and starlings but also thrushes, bull finches, (I think) greenfinches, saw a redwing this morning and a nuthatch on the bird table. We are spreading seed on flat surfaces (top of water butts and garden waste wheelie-bin for instance), some on the ground and more on the birdtable. Amazing watching them.:Smile:

Blackbirds were eating snow (for water) - our pond is frozen over of course.

John

OP
OP
dylan

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
wow a vegi red kite eating nuts :ROFLMAO:
No not veggie, I had run out of nuts as we are snowed in so put out bits of bread and bacon fat and the starlings were milling around so he thought maybe there was something to eat there.

Skypilot

Free Member
Oct 6, 2010
North Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
A Class.
Exp
Newcomer.
Nice piccie wish we had those they are gorgeous. :thumb:

We went looking at Motorhomes at TyneValley Motorhomes which isn't far from You and got a photo of one wheeling over the place, so keep Your eyes open!!

I'm a keen birdwatcher and have recorded over 40 different species in our garden. Only one that seems to be missing is the Greenfinch, havn't seen one this year!! We've had 2 pairs in the garden for the last 7 years but they've gone.

OP
OP
dylan

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
We always had loads of green finches on site but yes they seem to be missing this year.

OP
OP
dylan

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Taken through the window, crawled across the floor to the camera and snapped away !

Skypilot

Free Member
Oct 6, 2010
North Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
A Class.
Exp
Newcomer.
We went looking at Motorhomes at TyneValley Motorhomes which isn't far from You and got a photo of one wheeling over the place, so keep Your eyes open!!

I'm a keen birdwatcher and have recorded over 40 different species in our garden. Only one that seems to be missing is the Greenfinch, havn't seen one this year!! We've had 2 pairs in the garden for the last 7 years but they've gone.

Photo of Red Kite over TyneValley Motorhomes. Sorry it's not very good but it was a real rush job, had to run back to the car for the camera!!!

Attachments

• Geordie Red Kite..JPG
    Geordie Red Kite..JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 27

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I think it's amazing you all manage to get these photos..... I see something, look for my camera which is never where it should be, struggle trying to work out the DIGITAL settings (hate the blooming things .. bring back FM), get the subject on screen and it disappears.....

I have some lovely pictures of empty skies and birdtables if anyone interested.:Doh::Doh:

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
auto setting then keep an eye on your target
zoom in for the best pic you can get and keep clicking
delete those that you dont want to keep
upload to your puter
then crop the bit out you dont want:thumb:

sorry if teaching you to suck eggs
i have never got the hang of the settings
tried but failed
just let the camera do what it thinks is right
and posted it
:Eeek:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thanks Tofo. Spot on that it is having to sort out Settings button that takes all my time. Just not used to using Auto on cameras. Should do shouldn't I... Always used a Nikon FM and had a Hasselblaad at one point (can't even remember how to spell it now...:RollEyes:) and so can within a couple of settings set the aperture and shutter speeds on those... To old birds like me these digital cameras DON'T make it easier. :winky: Joy

Redjumpa

Free Member
Oct 29, 2008
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Not on a bird table but I snapped this bird off the cliffs at Sewerby (Nr Bridlington) in the summer. Unfortunately I have no idea what it is, can anyone help??

p4250216.jpg

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Wow, dunno but he looks like he's got that dinghy man in his sights..:whatthe:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Not on a bird table but I snapped this bird off the cliffs at Sewerby (Nr Bridlington) in the summer. Unfortunately I have no idea what it is, can anyone help??

p4250216.jpg

Could it be a Kestrel??? :RollEyes:

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
The grey/blue upper tail tells you its a male.

Activity at our feeders during freezing conditions last week was manic! Loads of Long-tailed Tits, Goldfinches and Siskins.

Stewart

Attachments

• feeder01.jpg
    feeder01.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 16
  • feeder02.jpg
    feeder02.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 17

Skypilot

Free Member
Oct 6, 2010
North Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
A Class.
Exp
Newcomer.
Wildlife.

We have a big old holly tree in our front garden and that attracts a lot of birds this time of year. Had a pair of Waxwings the other day but they'd gone by the time I'd got the camera out. Redwings and Treecreepers are also regulars. Managed to capture these two last year, but still havn't established where they are nesting. "Species" count in our garden up to now is 51, including "fly-overs"

Attachments

• Pair of Bullfinches.JPG
    Pair of Bullfinches.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 13

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back