Which 4g router for the house and van? (1 Viewer)

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Since 2002 plus 20 years in a tent
£299....wonder if it’s cheaper if I have already got the MiFi ☹️

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Yes think I am going to have to go with MotorhomeWiFi 4g Aerial...last one went to meet its maker...managed to keep the MiFi as had it on me. It’s a E5577C....must say the battery life is rubbish though...
I fitted a USB socket near the MiFi so battery life isn't an issue. The MotorhomeWiFi aerial is good and their after sales service excellent but the Poynting MIMO 1-1 is what several of us on here have fitted. It is a complex subject as the frequencies the suppliers use vary as you can see here.

The 800MHz band is used in some rural areas as it will travel a further distance but the data rate is lower than the higher frequencies.

The Poynting antenna has different performances for different frequencies but it covers the 800MHz band and the higher ones which covers most bases. It isn't so good at the mid-range frequencies but I don't know how commonly these are used. If you want to look at alternatives see if you can find any published data on performance as opposed to the broad brush "+6 dB" or whatever they claim which will only be true for a narrow frequency band and it may be much worse on others.

The Poynting data can be seen here:

I bought mine from Solwise and it is worth looking at their website. It has some useful technical advice too.

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Since 2002 plus 20 years in a tent
I fitted a USB socket near the MiFi so battery life isn't an issue. The MotorhomeWiFi aerial is good and their after sales service excellent but the Poynting MIMO 1-1 is what several of us on here have fitted. It is a complex subject as the frequencies the suppliers use vary as you can see here.

The 800MHz band is used in some rural areas as it will travel a further distance but the data rate is lower than the higher frequencies.

The Poynting antenna has different performances for different frequencies but it covers the 800MHz band and the higher ones which covers most bases. It isn't so good at the mid-range frequencies but I don't know how commonly these are used. If you want to look at alternatives see if you can find any published data on performance as opposed to the broad brush "+6 dB" or whatever they claim which will only be true for a narrow frequency band and it may be much worse on others.

The Poynting data can be seen here:

I bought mine from Solwise and it is worth looking at their website. It has some useful technical advice too.
Complex ?......Nah....I thought the Azimuth 1700-2100 radiation pattern was the prettiest but of course you couldn’t get Love Island ? on that so will probably plump for the 2000-2300 Mhz standing wave ratio one.....anyway is it a lot better than the Motorhome WiFi one and how much does it cost and did you fit it yourself ?

Cheers
Alex

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Complex ?......Nah....I thought the Azimuth 1700-2100 radiation pattern was the prettiest but of course you couldn’t get Love Island ? on that so will probably plump for the 2000-2300 Mhz standing wave ratio one.....anyway is it a lot better than the Motorhome WiFi one and how much does it cost and did you fit it yourself ?

Cheers
Alex
I don't know if it's better or worse than the competition as at the time I bought it a couple of years ago Poynting was the only manufacturer who published performance data, which was why I chose them. What I do know is I'm very happy with the performance as are others who have bought one on here.

Cost is about £125 from Solwise. A description of my fitting is here.

https://tinyurl.com/y2hobte8

But I won't criticise Motorhome WiFi or their products. I've bought stuff off them, it all works and they are very helpful. For those unsure about the DIY route I wholeheartedly recommend them.

OP
OP
S

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Well we have bought a tp-link 4g router, an Archer mr200. It has dual band wifi, 12v supply, lan ports.
Contacted tplink and said ok on a 11-15v supply, so ok in van eventually.
Have got a Smarty unlimited sim at £20 a month, no contract.
Where we live not as good a signal as vodaphone but over 10mb download/upload.

Used the free opensignal app, mast in wavy sheet symbol, which will show speed and location of masts. Note,for location of masts sim must bein a phone, not the router, it only shows masts on same network as sim.

So on trial for 2 weeks and then drop the landline, and phone number we have had for forty years!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Crikey I’m now onto MiFi data Simms....in my previous MH I had a Huwaiwhai MiFi and a 4g roof antenna. Put a 50gb data Simm in for £30 a month and it was fine although made sure I wasn’t streaming HD. I have now got to sort out another one, still have the MiFi but the aerial went to meet its maker (long story).

Now I have discovered that Vodafone don’t do that particular Simm anymore and have switched to unlimited for £37 a month....HOWEVER for roaming its capped at 20GB. Is there a way of getting true 50GB plus data whilst roaming ?
100 gb on Vodaphone,,20 pound a month.

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Coming into this half way through.

The Poynting 1-1 is end of life.
There are some versions with the wifi in addition still about.

It has been replaced by a 3-1 which is physically much higher although a similar footprint.

Im not qualified to say which if any is better than another but Poynting were adamant the new one would be better than their previous version.

And its not badly priced.

I fitted it but can't test it as where i am located the signal strength is already good.

Reactions: DBK

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
O2 are currently offering 100gb sim for £20, when I was looking to change last year web chat confirmed all could be used roaming but only for a 63 day period. The unlimited sim has a roaming limit.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I fitted it but can't test it as where i am located the signal strength is already good.
You will still get a good idea if the aerial is working as it will probably will double your upload speed compared to no aerial.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I use my Samsung Galaxy A3 to connect my tv laptop etc to the internet..How can i improve the signal strength,,Thanks in anticipation.BUSBY (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I use my Samsung Galaxy A3 to connect my tv laptop etc to the internet..How can i improve the signal strength,,Thanks in anticipation.BUSBY (y)
AFAIK there's no way to stick an aerial etc into your (or any?) phone to improve the internet signal.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Coming into this half way through.

The Poynting 1-1 is end of life.
There are some versions with the wifi in addition still about.

It has been replaced by a 3-1 which is physically much higher although a similar footprint.

Im not qualified to say which if any is better than another but Poynting were adamant the new one would be better than their previous version.

And its not badly priced.

Hi Bustup15
I’m thinking of getting the Poynting 4g antenna, but a little confused on which one the latest is ??
the black or white or neither of those two??:unsure:

Attachments

• 6A90D382-8D08-4EC1-8D44-0FBFCE32CBD7.png
    6A90D382-8D08-4EC1-8D44-0FBFCE32CBD7.png
    185.5 KB · Views: 9
  • C42F2B44-703E-4020-8248-0374B8E75248.png
    C42F2B44-703E-4020-8248-0374B8E75248.png
    219.3 KB · Views: 9
Aug 12, 2020
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Citroen romahome
Exp
Since 2016
I run both home and camper on three pay as you go £24-00 per month, unlimited data for my needs

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back