Which 4g router for the house and van? (1 Viewer)

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Since 2002 plus 20 years in a tent
Now days phone sim's work in Mifi's without any problems.

At the moment Vodafone are doing a 60gb sim then it's unlimited it changes every month last month they had a 100gb.

I'm looking to ditch my landline in June I probably need more than a 100gb a month at home as we appear to do more streaming now than live TV. Unfortunately my ISP doesn't log streaming data so I can't check how much I'm using.
Are you sure about that Lenny HB...I was defiantly told that putting a phone sim into a MiFi could cause them to slow the speed right down if using too much data...I even checked with the chap at Motorhome WiFi and he was very uncommittal....said it was a risk and that it was better to go with the 50gb data only (which they don’t do any more, this was a year ago) designed for a MiFi device I would be interested to hear if there is anyone who has gone over 30gb or 40Gb and been using it in a Mifi device....I suppose I could just buy it and if it stopped working cancel the one month rolling contract or are the 60gb & 100gb phone ones 12 month contracts ?

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Now days phone sim's work in Mifi's without any problems.

At the moment Vodafone are doing a 60gb sim then it's unlimited it changes every month last month they had a 100gb.

I'm looking to ditch my landline in June I probably need more than a 100gb a month at home as we appear to do more streaming now than live TV. Unfortunately my ISP doesn't log streaming data so I can't check how much I'm using.
I would have thought 100GB would be a bit tight.... especially if you’re streaming HD...I monitored it last year via my Waiweiy and as rule of thumb 50gb gave you about 2hours 45 mins a day....depending if I was using an iPad or MacBook...different because you can choose different quality depending on service...bbc the worst for allowing you to do that, Netflix not bad....would be a right faff doing that at home.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Most on 12 or 24 month contract but I think you can cancel in the first month.
Yes I don’t think they would slow down the speed in the first month...but in the second month....well. I used to write the software for Vodafone....I know what they are like ?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just been having a look at Virgin the unlimited sim is only available to Virgin Media customers that rules that one out for me.

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
I would have thought 100GB would be a bit tight.... especially if you’re streaming HD...I monitored it last year via my Waiweiy and as rule of thumb 50gb gave you about 2hours 45 mins a day....depending if I was using an iPad or MacBook...different because you can choose different quality depending on service...bbc the worst for allowing you to do that, Netflix not bad....would be a right faff doing that at home.
And HD you’d be lucky to get an hour a day...let alone UHD....still that maybe enough...perhaps you just watch 1 hour of Love Island at home and then go to bed...

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
And HD you’d be lucky to get an hour a day...let alone UHD....still that maybe enough...perhaps you just watch 1 hour of Love Island at home and then go to bed...
Actually 2 hours a day with 100gb...that’s a double episode every night !

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've just spoken to Vodafone and the 60GB plan they have at the moment is for a phone. It isn't a data only sim. The bloke I spoke to didn't think it would work in a MiFi.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I've just spoken to Vodafone and the 60GB plan they have at the moment is for a phone. It isn't a data only sim. The bloke I spoke to didn't think it work in a MiFi.
I think they all work in a Mifi now, EE & Three ones do.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I've just spoken to Vodafone and the 60GB plan they have at the moment is for a phone. It isn't a data only sim. The bloke I spoke to didn't think it would work in a MiFi.
Hopeless speaking to call centre personal these days if computer says no they haven't a clue.

OP
OP
S

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years

We have a voxi sim, using vodaphone network. Its sold as a phone sim, unlimited calls and texts, 45gb data. Works fine in a mifi, can even do texts.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think they all work in a Mifi now, EE & Three ones do.
I probably should have pressed him a bit more. The plan gives 10GB a month more than my current one and is £3 cheaper. But I do know they can tell. The first 3 PAYG card I had was meant for a phone and they started sending me messages to take it out and put it in a phone and after a few days they cut it off!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I probably should have pressed him a bit more. The plan gives 10GB a month more than my current one and is £3 cheaper. But I do know they can tell. The first 3 PAYG card I had was meant for a phone and they started sending me messages to take it out and put it in a phone and after a few days they cut it off!
They used to do that but I'm sure it's OK now.
Minxy Girl is the expert on Three.

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Yes the point of all this is...Vodafone keep their options open....say they won’t limit speed or stop you using it in a MiFi....but they can if they want to at any time depending on how many people start “abusing” the data...it’s all about risk. That’s why they don’t do a monthly contract these days on large data because they know that if they pull the plug you’ll leave but happy to do 1 or 2 year contracts as they’ve got you by the ganglies...does one want to be tied in to a Vodafone contract at £30 odd pounds a month for two years...that’s £720 for a sim that doesn’t deliver what one wants...and remember they can pull the plug or step down the speed at any time they want within that 1 or 2 years...on the other hand you might be lucky....Three and all the rest are the same...do you feel lucky punk ?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
They used to do that but I'm sure it's OK now.
Minxy Girl is the expert on Three.
I used to be fairly knowledgeable Lenny but not kept upto speed with it all now that we have Vodafone. There are some good deals out there on this website though if you are happy to do cashback.

As for use abroad, Three have a limit - last time I checked I think it was 19gb a month for 2 continuous months max abroad in their 'roam like home' (or whatever it's called) countries. Our Vodafone is an unlimited deal but stupidly restricts us to 25gb a month abroad, whereas if you have the 100gb one you can use all of it abroad - doesn't bother us as we don't even use 10gb a month when away but might affect others.

As regards using a phone sim in a MIFI, below is what I posted on another thread about Three allowing a phone sim to be used in a mifi, the 'phone only' restriction was removed by them in April 2018, some other providers did the same.

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
I used to be fairly knowledgeable Lenny but not kept upto speed with it all now that we have Vodafone. There are some good deals out there on this website though if you are happy to do cashback.

As for use abroad, Three have a limit - last time I checked I think it was 19gb a month for 2 continuous months max abroad in their 'roam like home' (or whatever it's called) countries. Our Vodafone is an unlimited deal but stupidly restricts us to 25gb a month abroad, whereas if you have the 100gb one you can use all of it abroad - doesn't bother us as we don't even use 10gb a month when away but might affect others.

As regards using a phone sim in a MIFI, below is what I posted on another thread about Three allowing a phone sim to be used in a mifi, the 'phone only' restriction was removed by them in April 2018, some other providers did the same.

Ah very interesting....I wonder if Vodafone removed their ‘phone only’ restriction as well. If they have then I would go with them...I would only be prepared to do a monthly though as things are very fluid in the sim market....and I wouldn’t want to be trapped in a years contract.

If they allow a phone sim in a MiFi it makes me wonder why anyone would buy a data only non phone sim for more money especially if they only allow 20GB roaming....but then I’ve got my roaming around Europe hat on.....I suppose there are people who want unlimited but will only use it in the UK....that’s 37pm...monthly contract....but go roaming and your stuffed....just buy a 100gb phone sim.....all very shakey and ambiguous.

As I’ve mentioned Vodafone leave their options open. Of course there are more and more people who want large roaming data sims in order to get rid of the Oyster aerials and live TV in Motorhomes and go catch up internet TV....me being one. I think I’m going to go for a Vodafone monthly phone contract with as large amount of data as I can get.....put it in my MiFi...if they step down the speed or stop it working altogether can cancel it....actually don’t watch much TV when I’m touring but like to watch a bit of sport or Andrew Neal and a bit of Netflix....far prefer reading a book or lying on beach....

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I think I’m going to go for a Vodafone monthly phone contract with as large amount of data as I can get.....put it in my MiFi
Why not put it in your phone and use the calls/texts that will come with it? If you put it in, and leave it in, a MIFI you'll lose this benefit. We used a mifi exclusively both at home and abroad with a Three data sim until we got good deals on phone sims so didn't need a separate data sim.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Currently in France using our 3 home router at home get about 25m at present getting 32m down load so all good but only allowed 19 gig whilst abroad

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Why not put it in your phone and use the calls/texts that will come with it? If you put it in, and leave it in, a MIFI you'll lose this benefit. We used a mifi exclusively both at home and abroad with a Three data sim until we got good deals on phone sims so didn't need a separate data sim.
I’ve got GiffGaff for my phone....I want a separate one for data in a MiFi so I can link to it from my iPad and Mac Book for BBC and Netflix etc. need 50gb plus though. The Motorhome I have just bought has a self seeking aerial but no TV yet and I think it can only pick up Astra 1 not Astra 2, at least that’s what the dealer told me...not sure if that is correct, can’t test it as have no tv. Therefore I thought I would go down the internet root which is better anyway....not reliant on Satellites.....but can’t find a data sim with guaranteed 50gb plus roaming data. As denisejoe said three limits to 19gb for roaming and Vodafone does the same but to 20GB ...I’ve found a monthly Voxi phone sim...60gb £20....might get it put it in my MiFi and see if it works....if they stop it working after 20GB then cancel it...it does say unlimited roaming...but if they find you using it in a MiFi device I suspect they might stop it working or limit the data to 20GB like Vodafone and Three do...that’s the best I can come up with.

Reactions: DBK

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Hmmm...not sure if the Voxi one will work...you have to do this to set it up....how will I do that from a Waiwaihw Mifi

D0B9CCE1-BE58-4944-A4FD-0EB8BEE2C1D1.jpeg

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hmmm...not sure if the Voxi one will work...you have to do this to set it up....how will I do that from a Waiwaihw Mifi

View attachment 366992
You can send and receive SMS messages from a MiFi. Download the Huawei app and use that to connect to and manage the MiFi. ;)

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
You can send and receive SMS messages from a MiFi. Download the Huawei app and use that to connect to and manage the MiFi. ;)
Ah good point ! I’ve got the Huwaiwaiaiw app already....yes Might be a go’er then....I used to have my 50Gb Vodafone in the Huwaiawei MiFi plus a 4g roof antenna. I haven’t got the contract with Vodafone anymore so was experimenting in putting my GiffGaff Sim in it to see if I could use it via my iPad and Mac Book but couldn’t get it to work....seemed to find the o2 network which GiffGaff use on the MiFi device and I could see the WiFi on my iPad and connect to it but when I went to go into a website it just said cannot connect to server...no internet connection...perhaps the appn etc etc is incorrect on my iPad or something...?

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Also would I be able to do step 3 that it mentions....supposing it says go into setting put this appn in or whatever.....can’t do that on a MiFi device ....or can you...even using the Huwwaiawei App

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The APN is loaded onto the MiFi. If you go into the SMS bit on the app you should be able to send the text you mentioned earlier. It should also be possible to add the settings manually. Do a Google for Giffgaff APN settings.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I’ve got GiffGaff for my phone....I want a separate one for data in a MiFi so I can link to it from my iPad and Mac Book for BBC and Netflix etc. need 50gb plus though.
But you if you put the new sim in your phone you can still link your other stuff to it ... its no different to the MIFI (unless you have a 'brick' as a phone!).

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
But you if you put the new sim in your phone you can still link your other stuff to it ... its no different to the MIFI (unless you have a 'brick' as a phone!).
That is true but I want to attach it to a permanent 4g roof Ariel on my MH ?

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Aerial

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The question is though will you need to do that? Many of us don't need an aerial to get good signals ... why not try it first then if it doesn't work put it in a mifi, if it is okay it'll save you a few bob.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I showed the difference between a phone on its own and a MiFi working through a roof antenna in post #4 on this thread. The difference doesn't matter so much when there is a strong phone signal but where there isn't the roof antenna makes a big difference.

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
I showed the difference between a phone on its own and a MiFi working through a roof antenna in post #4 on this thread. The difference doesn't matter so much when there is a strong phone signal but where there isn't the roof antenna makes a big difference.

Yes think I am going to have to go with MotorhomeWiFi 4g Aerial...last one went to meet its maker...managed to keep the MiFi as had it on me. It’s a E5577C....must say the battery life is rubbish though...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back