Free Member
May 8, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1974 on and off
I have to use my motorhome as transport for work,a journey of less than 2 miles, it alo has to be moved from my drive regularly to allow my wife to put her car in the garage.The batt lasts 2 weeks without strugling to start and then it is Ok again if I drve it for a 50 mile journey.
Questions :
Is my batt acting in a normal manner ?
If I disconnect it to charge it,will I only have to reprogram the radio ?
Base vehical is 2 LTR Peugeot HDI
Thanks in advance Chris

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I have to use my motorhome as transport for work,a journey of less than 2 miles, it alo has to be moved from my drive regularly to allow my wife to put her car in the garage.The batt lasts 2 weeks without strugling to start and then it is Ok again if I drve it for a 50 mile journey.
Questions :
Is my batt acting in a normal manner ?
If I disconnect it to charge it,will I only have to reprogram the radio ?
Base vehical is 2 LTR Peugeot HDI
Thanks in advance Chris

1. Yes

2. Yes, you will need the code for the radio and you will lose the pre sets..

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi

If it is parked on your drive is it not possible to run a hook up to it.

It would be easier to unplug when required than remove the battery to charge it. That way you could charge as required.

Dave.:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
curious as to why you need to remove the battery to charge it ?

with a small battery charger, something like the C-tek range, could be placed under the bonnet, out of the weather, along with the mains extension lead socket once every week or so to recharge.

!BlrDIRgBmk~$(KGrHqUOKjsEtl4iGTO2BLcnRkmR5Q~~_12.JPG

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
curious as to why you need to remove the battery to charge it ?

with a small battery charger, something like the C-tek range, could be placed under the bonnet, out of the weather, along with the mains extension lead socket once every week or so to recharge.

!BlrDIRgBmk~$(KGrHqUOKjsEtl4iGTO2BLcnRkmR5Q~~_12.JPG

Glad you raised this John..

I have a similar problem to the OP .. (doing too many short runs and not charging the battery properly )

I was going to invest in one of these chargers from Aldi .. but then read the Honda user manual which said NEVER to charge the battery in situ without disconnecting the earth lead as it could damage the ECU .. so on that advice I remove it to the shed once a week and put on a normal charger overnight.

Is this being over cautious or a real danger ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
well Jim, if honda recommend removal then so be it......ECU's aint cheap but i think they are being a little over cautious.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
you could always get one of those battery isolation switches and connect it to the negative side instead of the positive then you just turn off the red key and charge the battery.

andy :thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Jim I have the van on the auto x5 from Aldi on 24 / 7 without harm :thumb: I also put the pick up on ( L200 ) on every couple of weeks without harm :thumb: Never disconnect either.The L200 only gets short runs 1 mile each way or say 4 mls each way so takes a lot more out of battery than gets put in.Use an auto x 5 on both or some times change to the Tronic from Lidl :ROFLMAO:
terry

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Jim I have the van on the auto x5 from Aldi on 24 / 7 without harm :thumb: I also put the pick up on ( L200 ) on every couple of weeks without harm :thumb: Never disconnect either.The L200 only gets short runs 1 mile each way or say 4 mls each way so takes a lot more out of battery than gets put in.Use an auto x 5 on both or some times change to the Tronic from Lidl :ROFLMAO:
terry

Thanks Terry

I'm pretty confident it would be ok ..but think I'll err on the side of caution .. if I damaged the ECU the warranty wouldn't cover it .. best play safe.

I fitted a new Varta battery last week and keep the old one on charge so I can use if need be to jump start.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
I can't remember the reason Jim but certain cars are best not having batteries charged on the vehicle both my mercs are like this also, I seem to remember it has something to do with spikes while charging.

I am definatly not an auto sparks, in fact I have always hated auto electrics so if I am told not to do it I dont as I have had nightmares with my S class £2,000 plus in two years on an incurable problem that only shows up at this time of the year.

I know this aint too helpful just thought better safe than expensive.

All the best Rick.

OP
OP
P

poppys

Free Member
May 8, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1974 on and off
Thanks for the replies,my Peugeut handbook states," Never charge a batt without first disconnecting the terminals",and the Explorer handbook under the control panel does`nt mention charging the vehical batt via the panel at all. This is why I was going to disconnect the Batt and charge it in situ,but Im concerned that once reconnected the electroniic system would not reset itself fully, as the Peogeut handbook states " If slight difficulties are experienced after reconnection please contact a Peugeot dealer".So i would be stuck with the motorhome unable to be used and blocking the drive so my wifes car would be stuck in the garage.
Ps I don`t have a lot of confidence in my local Peogeut dealer on their past record.:RollEyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back