Oct 10, 2010
Lichfield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie this year!
Hi All.

After a bit of research on here, I think I know the answer to the question but have been looking for so long, I cant walk away from this van without checking all possibilities.

I am / was just about to buy a Pegaso motorhome, 6 berth (with drop down bunk beds which is the thing we like about it!) and had a habitation check on it. Possibly the best £140 I have ever spent !

As well as some electrical items which although surprising, can be fixed quite easily, the damp check found very high levels of damp in the vehicle (side and back). The seals around the flues need resealing which may be the problem, who knows.

The question is: if the leaking hasnt been happening for long, and there is no obvious damage at present, will repairing the leaking cure everything or is the damage already done?

As I say, I think I know the answer but I would like some confirmation (or otherwise) from the experts here. :Sad:

Thanks

Steve:Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Steve

If there is damp then there is no way of knowing how bad it is or how far it has crept into the woodwork without removing panels.

My advice is to walk away .. damp kills motorhomes.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Steve

If there is damp then there is no way of knowing how bad it is or how far it has crept into the woodwork without removing panels.

My advice is to walk away .. damp kills motorhomes.

Totally agree with Jim on this one, short of taking panels off no way of knowing what you have, or what can of worms you are opening.

I would leave well alone.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Could be an easy fix or water could have been getting in over a long period of time,, and as such till the offending area`s are stripped back you never know.. :whatthe:

Can take months of ingress before it shows inside,, by then the damage has been done.. :Doh:

And could run into many hundreds of pounds to have put right.. :cry:

Other than an engine replacement I think damp or the fixing rates as one of the highest repair bills you can have.. :Blush:

Like others have said, personally I would walk away,, there must be another one that suits your needs out there..

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Plenty of DRY motorhomes for sale you have no idea how long and to what extent this is damp the best advice you were given is to get a test, the results say DO NOT BUY THIS VAN as the only way to fix it is to remove the interior panels and hope they find the leaks but there could be lots of damage you cannot see do not buy trouble you WILL live to regret it

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Ask yourself if you are good or very good at DIY? I bought a van knowing it was damp- ended up spending 2 k on it and a couple of weeks work inc a new roof :Eeek:Made 3k profit in the end :thumb: Knock at least 6k off his asking price before you even consider it :whatthe:::bigsmile::winky:
No DIY skils WALK
terry

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
As everyone has said Damp can be a big problem. Why not try and get an estimate for rectification, if your down our way, call in, subject to the seller allowing you to !

If he wont let you, then walk away.

Peter

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
as a less experienced motorhome my personal answer would be

NO

NO WAY dont touch it with a barge pole

unless you know the extent of the damp and someone who will fix it at trade prices

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
as a less experienced motorhome my personal answer would be

NO

NO WAY dont touch it with a barge pole

unless you know the extent of the damp and someone who will fix it at trade prices

No way of knowing the true extent until you strip it out :thumb::Eeek::Eeek:
terry

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Having reskinned the entire coachbuilt body of our last motorhome (thats it on my lift in my avatar) due to damp ingress my advice would be to walk away in big steps very quickly.............................unless you have a big workshop, the patience of a saint, several thousand pounds and the physical abilities to deal with such a task of course then my advice would be to go for it but negotiate a good discount to cover your costs.

D.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Walk away! leave it for the Wreckers Yard!

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Would you buy a rotten car.........then why think about a damp motor home when you can't even see how bad it is.........hundreds of good ones for sale.

Just my opinion of course.

Good luck Rick.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
well in that case iwill give you a £10 for youres then:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mug !!

:ROFLMAO:

I tend to come at stuff from a different angle to most, being one of the old school who is of the opinion nothing is unfixable and nothing is beyond my ability

Of course BOTH views are complete tosh but they do colour my judgement

As others have said.. damp is a MAJOR problem

However, if you are not afeared of tools, have some savvy and most of all, the price is right ( and I do mean right.. at least £2k behind anything else similar ) then why not ! :Smile:

Thing is, that while none of us know it all ( even if, like me, we think we do :ROFLMAO: ) you are on a forum here that has some of the very best motorhome minds and mechanics in the world.. all of whom can be called upon for advise should you take such a task on your shoulders :thumb:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Mug !!

:ROFLMAO:

I tend to come at stuff from a different angle to most, being one of the old school who is of the opinion nothing is unfixable and nothing is beyond my ability

Of course BOTH views are complete tosh but they do colour my judgement

As others have said.. damp is a MAJOR problem

However, if you are not afeared of tools, have some savvy and most of all, the price is right ( and I do mean right.. at least £2k behind anything else similar ) then why not ! :Smile:

Thing is, that while none of us know it all ( even if, like me, we think we do :ROFLMAO: ) you are on a forum here that has some of the very best motorhome minds and mechanics in the world.. all of whom can be called upon for advise should you take such a task on your shoulders :thumb:

A nice alternative amongst the naysayers

:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Ask yourself if you are good or very good at DIY? I bought a van knowing it was damp- ended up spending 2 k on it and a couple of weeks work inc a new roof :Eeek:Made 3k profit in the end :thumb: Knock at least 6k off his asking price before you even consider it :whatthe:::bigsmile::winky:
No DIY skils WALK
terry

Having reskinned the entire coachbuilt body of our last motorhome (thats it on my lift in my avatar) due to damp ingress my advice would be to walk away in big steps very quickly.............................unless you have a big workshop, the patience of a saint, several thousand pounds and the physical abilities to deal with such a task of course then my advice would be to go for it but negotiate a good discount to cover your costs.

D.

NOTall NAY SAYERS

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back