Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
Hello, we have a 1/2 time oven in our RV made by Apollo and we are not getting on with it at all well! Had a look in a Holiday Rambler Augusta the other day which has a conventional gas hob/cooker fitted. Think the same one is fitted in some of the Monaco RV's. Does anyone know the name of the make or the make of a similar conventional gas cooker? Needs to be a US make as used in an RV. We're going to replace the 1/2 time one.

Thanks

Mick

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Hi Mick
the one in my Winnebago is a Magic Chef
theres also one made by Wedgewood I think Atwood do one too all are American makes
does this help

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Mick, I can ship you an Atwood or Suburban but in all honesty, many people find the Yank ovens a pain to cook with.

Drop Kands (Keith) a PM as he put a European cooker in his Rockwood, it might be a cheaper and more user friendly option for you in the long run.

If you are adamant you want to stick with a yank oven drop me a line and I can help.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Hello, we have a 1/2 time oven in our RV made by Apollo and we are not getting on with it at all well!
Mick

Hahahaha! :) NOOOOOOOOObody gests on with Yank RV ovens! :)

Needs to be a US make as used in an RV. We're going to replace the 1/2 time one.
Mick

Oh no it doesn't. :)
Rip the dammed thing out and have a ceremonial burning.
Then tootle off to your local narrow boat chandler and buy a Stoves 500 D.I.T for £350 (Lyme Kiln Marina - Wolverhampton).
I meantion chandlers cos for things like this, all too often, I've found them to be cheeper than most RV / Motorhome accessory outlets.
Fantastic peice of kit.
You'll need to adapt the gas supply as the pipe end is different and you'll need to deepen the cutout ion the worktop by 3 1/2" approx.
Believe me, its well worth it. ffiona (my wife) has catering qualification and the browny points this little job earned me came in handy! :)
You'll find that the gas pressures on the units (between American and UK) are different - American pressures are lower. I was worried about this and had a very long telephone conversation with the technical department at Stoves who assured me that thier units CAN cope with the lower American pressure but that my wife MIGHT notice that the oven doesn't burn hot enough for something big like a turkey.
Practise has proved this NOT to be the case and she's recons it's as hot as a blast furnace! :) She's tickled pink with the unit, as proved by the amount of time she spends in the galley-apparantly it's her way of chilling out! - who am I to argue! :)
IF we get another RV, the first job I will do is change the oven! I may even take mine with me and put the (not so) Magic Chef back in this one before PX.

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
I knew I could rely on you to "tell it like it is" Paul! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
I knew I could rely on you to "tell it like it is" Paul! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

One tries, my dear, one tries! :)

ps

purely from the womans point of view, any tips as to how I can pursuade ffi' that she REALLY does want an RV next and she REALLY doesn't want a Celtic Rambler!.........cos at the moment, I'm running out of ammo! :-(

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Now come on Paul, you don't really expect me to discriminate between Motorised RVs and 5ers do you? It would be most un-professional of me to do so :roflmto:

You could always use the excuse that you have forgotten how to drive anything other than an A Class and the transition back to a cab would bring on severe claustrophobia and panic attacks and she wouldn't want to put you through all that ......or would she? :ROFLMAO: Best I can come up with I'm afraid :Doh: :Doh:

Anyways, back to topic......... Mick, you can read up some more on Yank ovens here:

Link Removed

TinaGlenn

Free Member
Aug 7, 2007
Near King's Lynn
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
9 years
Zaskar,

Where would your cat travel? It might not like travelling in a truck and get lonely and scared by itself in the trailer, might mean a few more frustrating times trying to pull it out from under buildings as it hides from you both:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Tina

OP
OP
tuscancouple

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for all the input everyone, appreciate it. So some thinking to be done :Smile:

Mick

F

foggyparrot

Deleted User
At the end of the day it really is down to personal taste and expectations.

I know that there are a thousand people out there who laathe and detest the US broiler style ovens (Linda, Keith & Sharon, Geo etc. etc. (no disrespect!!)), but the broiler ovens are just a little different to your average Europen oven.

Adjusting your cooking methods and taking into account the difference in cooking temperatures and times is usually enough to convert most people to the unique American style of cooking. We have always loved our Magic Chef in the Winnie but found it quite small in terms of volume. Our solution was to change the Sharpe Microwave/Grill for a Combi Convection/Microwave/Grill oven so that we could use both ovens to cook full roast dinners (we often entertain sveeral people).

The down side of the European hob/oven combinations is that the Hobs tend to be very small compared to the US hobs.

At the end of the day, the combination that anyone chooses is dependant on exactly what and how they tend to cook and the quantities they ususlly cook in.

The Monaco has had a European oven fitted and originally had a grill/microwave combi. We tried using this combo for a few weeks and have now replaced (once again) the combo with the convection/microwave combi again and still maintained the US hob.

I really don't think that there is a definitive solution for all but thank goodness that the US rV's are flexible enough in their construction and layout to accomodate more or less any type of cooking combination!

No real answer there Mick but what I'm trying to say is that a solution does exist once you've worked out what you actually need rather than want.

Mike and Jill.

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Hahahaha! :) NOOOOOOOOObody gests on with Yank RV ovens! :)

Oh no it doesn't. :)
Rip the dammed thing out and have a ceremonial burning.
Then tootle off to your local narrow boat chandler and buy a Stoves 500 D.I.T for £350 (Lyme Kiln Marina - Wolverhampton).
I meantion chandlers cos for things like this, all too often, I've found them to be cheeper than most RV / Motorhome accessory outlets.
Fantastic peice of kit.
You'll need to adapt the gas supply as the pipe end is different and you'll need to deepen the cutout ion the worktop by 3 1/2" approx.
Believe me, its well worth it. ffiona (my wife) has catering qualification and the browny points this little job earned me came in handy! :)
You'll find that the gas pressures on the units (between American and UK) are different - American pressures are lower. I was worried about this and had a very long telephone conversation with the technical department at Stoves who assured me that thier units CAN cope with the lower American pressure but that my wife MIGHT notice that the oven doesn't burn hot enough for something big like a turkey.
Practise has proved this NOT to be the case and she's recons it's as hot as a blast furnace! :) She's tickled pink with the unit, as proved by the amount of time she spends in the galley-apparantly it's her way of chilling out! - who am I to argue! :)
IF we get another RV, the first job I will do is change the oven! I may even take mine with me and put the (not so) Magic Chef back in this one before PX.

Noooobody gets on with yank ovens OOOH YES THEY DO Ruth does some realy fine cooking on our Magic Chef
and who would volunteer too cut lumps out of your pride and joy to fit some thing that wasn't supposed to be there when you laid out a fortune for it inthe first place
:Doh::Doh::Doh:

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
I don't suppose you've got a contact detail for them? Google and Yell failed to give a definitive match.

Cheers
Doug

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
At the end of the day it really is down to personal taste and expectations.

I know that there are a thousand people out there who laathe and detest the US broiler style ovens (Linda, Keith & Sharon, Geo etc. etc. (no disrespect!!)), but the broiler ovens are just a little different to your average Europen oven.

Mike and Jill.

Hardly loathe and detest Foggy.....I'm just not too impressed at what they do to my sausage rolls! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I don't suppose you've got a contact detail for them? Google and Yell failed to give a definitive match.

Cheers
Doug

Have a look here Doug:
http://www.boatlaunch.co.uk/default.aspx?page=display&nodeid=154

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
............and who would volunteer too cut lumps out of your pride and joy to fit some thing that wasn't supposed to be there when you laid out a fortune for it inthe first place
:Doh::Doh::Doh:

Me!.....but then i suppose it's down to how confidant you are in your own abilities to do a good and SAFE job!
As for "wasn't supposed to be there"........
Where does it say you shouldn't? Where does it say that you have to put up with a crap oven cos your not SUPPOSED to put a better one in?
Doesn't matter how little or how much you payed for a rig, there will always be ways of improving upon it, providing, of course, yoiu have the skill and the confidance to do it properly......and I have!...........ser there! :)

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
any tips as to how I can pursuade ffi' that she REALLY does want an RV next and she REALLY doesn't want a Celtic Rambler!.........cos at the moment, I'm running out of ammo! :-(

If the missus insists and wants to downgrade to a CARAVAN she'll have to ave one :winky:
that ought to do it
Geo

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Oven Conversions.

Hi

I`m new on this forum. but Ive "been around the block a bit" so to speak as I`m in my tenth full year of r-v`ing, the name is pete.

Ovens:- management likes her "roast dinners". So the Three burner stove top had to go!. I sourced an oven from Mr O` Leary who some will have seen at shows, (Peterborough and York ) He`s located Between Beverly and Hull. Most of the gear is NEW but not current models, Ours is Branded "country Leisure" model caprice 2020. at approx £200-00. and was probably designed to go in a "static" caravan. But he had others in all sorts of Colour schemes. they are roughly 500+mm wide and I took out the shelves etc below the stove top, sourced some matching oak from a local timber merchant to make infill sections and a little carefull ajustment with some Timber packing brought the stove top level with the worktops. It now looks as if it was intended to be there and I have got lots of "brownie points" from management, which stood me in good stead when I had the need to spend drinking tokens!! (Like we did this weekend at the grouse & claret!).

The gas fitting is slightly different and needed an imperial to metric adapter. (plumbers and/or builders merchants) but otherwise is fairly easy to do. I tested with "soapy water" to check for leaks.

If I can "Sus" out how to put Photos on I will post a picture of the finished item!!

hope this helps

pete

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
we have a magic chef a 4 burner and find it ok don't use the oven that much we are big cobb fans. we use ovan to store kitchen an loo rolles:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back