Camp site recommendations please. (1 Viewer)

Jan 4, 2017
beds
Funster No
MH
burstner
Exp
Can anyone recommend a campsite in or within easy walking distance to a town in England. We love touring around England but have trouble finding a site near a town so we can visit pubs or restaurants that are walkable.
Regards John.

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
but don't always trust the "only a short stroll to town" or "only a five minute walk" check the reviews, you normally get a better idea.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
why not just stay at a pub/restaurant? plenty of places offer free parking if you use their facilities. it doesnt stop you visiting other pubs etc while youre there?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Captain Pants

Free Member
Dec 19, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg PVC
Exp
Since 1982
Can anyone recommend a campsite in or within easy walking distance to a town in England. We love touring around England but have trouble finding a site near a town so we can visit pubs or restaurants that are walkable.
Regards John.
A plug for my own town, Mevagissey in Cornwall. Stay at the Willows Car Park, £13 overnight I think. Level site easy 3 min walk into village/harbour with quite a few pubs & places to eat. I would expect it to be very quiet overnight. However, no facilities if it has to be a camping site.
Similar sites at Tintagel with easy access on the north coast. All listed on Campercontact

On a different tack....Crystal Palace in London is very easy level walking to No3 bus stop which goes into central London every few minutes.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 674
Exp
“ I’m a newbie”
Keswick is a good site only 5 min walk into town some nice pubs but you need to book early in season though as its very popular. Also Braithwaite fold in Bowness on Windermere is in a good location..... one of the wardens at Keswick told me it the CCC have kept it and should be opening again in May after some upgrades.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Privately owned Willowmere just outside Sudbury Suffolk, you can walk to the local pub (10 minutes). Sudbury is about mile n half but there's a regular bus service outside the entrance.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Exmoor House Dulverton (not Lakeside) and Steamer Quay Totnes (no EHU) are both within a short walk of pubs, shops and restaurants.

Oct 31, 2019
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 674
Exp
“ I’m a newbie”
Rowntree Park, York

Probably the best site location wise for walking distance to good pubs and restaurants.
Rowntree was closed the other day due to the floods, we are there on March 1st for a week so i rang to check if it will be okay and was told it should be back open from 24th Feb.

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
There is a campsite in Sophia Gardens, Cardiff.

It's neither cheap nor big but it is close to everything in Cardiff, Bus Station, Railway Station, the City Centre, the Stadium, Water Taxi stop so as to reach Cardiff Bay, shopping and restaurants everywhere.

http://www.cardiffcaravanpark.co.uk/

map.png

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
A plug for my own town, Mevagissey in Cornwall. Stay at the Willows Car Park, £13 overnight I think.
And whatever you do don't drive past the car park and turn left!
You could end up with somebody's bedroom on your roof!
1582285678905.png

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
This site is in Seahouses, Northumberland. You can easily walk to the shops, cafes, pubs, restaurants and the harbour. The site is overlooking the sea and you can walk along the cliffs to Bamburgh. The beaches are spectacular here. Although primarily a static site, there are dedicated pitches for MH and caravans, which are hard standing and includes drainage and water. Toilets and showers are spotless. The pitch fee includes full use of the leisure club facilities, including pool, spa, steam room, sauna and gym. There is a very pleasant bar/restaurant onsite.

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
Canterbury C & C site or park and ride aire if you like history. One mile walk into town (or bus stop round the corner) from the campsite or bus ride (price included in your overnight stay) into town.

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
As already posted by Dazza 6863 above, the camping and caravan club site shown below is great and just a five minute walk to the town with lots of good eating places and shops to visit without having to move your motorhome off site.

Couple of photos taken from the site last year attached.

Attachments

• Photo1.jpg
    Photo1.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Photo2.jpg
    Photo2.jpg
    343.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Do you really need it to be a campsite ?? If you have a motorhome with all facilities, ie toilet, water on board etc. Why not consider a stop at allowed overnight parking like Stratford on Avon or Chester to name two. (y)

Aug 31, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
4th year
Lake district Keswick ccc, is the winner for this, cotswolds broadway c&m, Cornwall Tintagel next to the pub in the town, car park but no facilities but you can stay at Treweth farm c&m round the corner and get the bus into tintagel. Chichester ccc next to the bus stop.
Looking at this it makes me realise that Europe is better for parking a motorhome or perhaps we should be tuggers ?

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
<Broken link removed> for Pubs / Restaurant, butchers, takeaway etc.

Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
Bath Marina. A somewhat tatty and expensive site but an easy flat walk into town and you can get the park and ride back.

Don't miss out on France though. For years on here we watched people singing the praises of Aires and didn't get it (or France) until we did a small tour there for the first time last year and it's great.

Feb 13, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115 Vogue
Exp
Since 2010
Oxon Hall touring park just outside Shrewsbury. It's right next to the park and ride into the centre. Lovely site with a pub, chippy and supermarket close by. The park and ride didn't run on Sunday the last time we were there.

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
If Baltic Wharf Bristol is still open its a short walk or ferry ride in to town.
We've often got in to the busy sites like Keswick by phoning last minute and being bit flexible with dates.
There's a campsite near the Park and Ride on the outskirts of Bath.

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
Regards John.

When are you thinking of going, I would think many sites may be waterlogged at present.

Otherwise, Moreton-in -Marsh is a five minute walk into the town, pubs, tea rooms, restaurants, Tesco's, Budgens for your shopping, bus stops as well to travel around.
Or, Broadway, about 7 to 10 mins walk into this village, very old, has been used as film sets etc. Has pubs, tea rooms and restaurants.

Depends on how far you want to go as well

weebill

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2014
aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since 2006
Burrs caravan club site, Bury. Pub at site entrance and bus to centre 10min walk from site

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back