Any Scottish members used this alarm company (1 Viewer)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Ordered our new van and now looking for an alarm system, I had Vanbitz in my last van and very pleased with it. I'm looking at options before making my decision.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Never heard of them, Gerry but, and it may be non-relevant, for a company into security products you would think they would have a secured website!
Might want to throw Outsmart the Thief into your mix https://www.606060.com/ as they have installers all over UK? Carl is very helpful.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Never heard of them, Gerry but, and it may be non-relevant, for a company into security products you would think they would have a secured website!
Might want to throw Outsmart the Thief into your mix https://www.606060.com/ as they have installers all over UK? Carl is very helpful.

Also looking at OSTT and read mixed reviews on them just wondered about this lot and never thought about the website security ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Base in Preston might be worth some research ... they seem to get some good reviews. I’m guessing they fitted ours and seemed to do a good job.
If you were happy with Vanbitz though I’d be tempted to go back.

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
For peace of mind I would be looking at Vanbitz, had it fitted on my last 3 vans and never had a problem. Staying at their campsite and going into Taunton is like a mini tour. Will get it fitted to my next van, when Jan makes her mind up what it’s going to be.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
For peace of mind I would be looking at Vanbitz, had it fitted on my last 3 vans and never had a problem. Staying at their campsite and going into Taunton is like a mini tour. Will get it fitted to my next van, when Jan makes her mind up what it’s going to be.
Agreed - Vanbitz and their peerless customer service to back up best in class product (eddievanbitz - that is payback for that wonderful Victron calendar you gave me :whistle2: )

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Ordered our new van and now looking for an alarm system, I had Vanbitz in my last van and very pleased with it. I'm looking at options before making my decision.
As already mentioned a weird website with unreadable fine print at the bottom of the page. Most obvious point to me is no address given, or not one I could see. I used OSTT and have been very happy with them.

GSD

Free Member
Dec 31, 2016
North Scotland
Funster No
MH
Fifer Touring "M" 2017 E6
Exp
10 years +
Googling the contact (mobile) number brings up a whole lot of different web links associated with different parts of Scotland.
If you highlight the text at the bottom of the page you can actually read it and it also contains various links. Nowhere is there any identification of premises, individuals or the company or companies doing the work.

It just doesn't look or feel right.

I made a 1200 mile round to trip to get my alarm system fitted in Taunton (twice) i.e. two different vehicles.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Never heard of them either but that doesn't mean they aren't good but another vote here for Outsmart The Thief. Cant fault them and as Gellyneck says Carl the owner is very nice. Ian F had it fitted on Monday. I bet you've never read of a van disappearing with them either.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Never heard of them either but that doesn't mean they aren't good but another vote here for Outsmart The Thief. Cant fault them and as Gellyneck says Carl the owner is very nice. Ian F had it fitted on Monday. I bet you've never read of a van disappearing with them either.
You keep making a veiled reference to vans disappearing?

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Base in Preston might be worth some research ... they seem to get some good reviews. I’m guessing they fitted ours and seemed to do a good job.
If you were happy with Vanbitz though I’d be tempted to go back.

They're looking favourites just now its just the logistics as I would need to take a day off, even that would mean driving down after work get it fitted next morning and drive home again.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
They're looking favourites just now its just the logistics as I would need to take a day off, even that would mean driving down after work get it fitted next morning and drive home again.
It does make coming to us harder when longer distances are involved. Sadly it simply isn't practical for us to offer a mobile service as ours is all hard wired, as we won't /can't use wireless switches as our system is Thatcham approved and Thatcham have never and do not approve wireless switches

We wouldn't use them anyway.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
You keep making a veiled reference to vans disappearing?
It does make coming to us harder when longer distances are involved. Sadly it simply isn't practical for us to offer a mobile service as ours is all hard wired, as we won't /can't use wireless switches as our system is Thatcham approved and Thatcham have never and do not approve wireless switches

Eddie makes a great point about the distance especially if it goes wrong and you've got to pay all the fuel and time to go back again.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Remember that a really cheap alarm system is almost definitely a car alarm. Some are almost ok but most connect to the canbus system in the cab. That makes them useless in a motorhome as if you can open the central locking, the alarm gets turned off

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Remember that a really cheap alarm system is almost definitely a car alarm. Some are almost ok but most connect to the canbus system in the cab. That makes them useless in a motorhome as if you can open the central locking, the alarm gets turned off
..... which is exactly what was on mine before it was changed to a growler

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
WildAx owners seem to be well pleased with OSTT...
Obviously, you will have read Sandra's thread & wasn't there also one about "The very best"

As a happy Strikeback customer, I'd say either Vanbitz or OSTT would do the job perfectly competently.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp

Do you work Saturdays as that would make a difference.

I don't pick up the van for a few weeks so time to make a decision, if Vanbitz where closer I wouldn't even be thinking about this I'd just be getting it done.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Yes we can arrange a Saturday for you and we will throw an extra FOC night on Cornish Farm Touring Park so you can arrive one night, have the system fully installed, and leave for home the following day

Just checked with the office, the first available date we have is March 21st and if that is no good the next one is the 18th if April

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Do you work Saturdays as that would make a difference.

I don't pick up the van for a few weeks so time to make a decision, if Vanbitz where closer I wouldn't even be thinking about this I'd just be getting it done.
Bearing in mind the whole point of a motorhome is to travel!!!

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I don't know about the company themselves Gerry, however I have had a few vehicles which I installed TOAD alarms & the were flawless.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I've just had one of these fitted by a local guy to my new van for around £300. The only difference to the Growler seems to be that it doesn't have the loud internal siren.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I've just had one of these fitted by a local guy to my new van for around £300. The only difference to the Growler seems to be that it doesn't have the loud internal siren.

There are loads of differences with respect

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid

the first line of your link says everything CLIFFORD CAR ALARMS

They are not really suitable for motorhomes. There are multiple differences between a car alarm and a specially designed product hardwired into the van

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Watching this with interest, I'm with you on the distance thing lorger & I know it's insured, but!

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Yes we can arrange a Saturday for you and we will throw an extra FOC night on Cornish Farm Touring Park so you can arrive one night, have the system fully installed, and leave for home the following day

Just checked with the office, the first available date we have is March 21st and if that is no good the next one is the 18th if April

We don't pick it up until the 18th of April (our Choice) so it would be after that anyway. I'll give you a call in the next week as I'm needing other stuff done too

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
the first line of your link says everything CLIFFORD CAR ALARMS

They are not really suitable for motorhomes. There are multiple differences between a car alarm and a specially designed product hardwired into the van

Why not?

The one they fit seems to be specifically designed for MoHo's, complete with inside sensors and sleep mode hard wired into the van etc. It has loud external six tone siren, it can also be connected to the horn if you want.
Its Thatcham Cat One and now the insurance company is happy to insure my new van.

Maybe it's not covered in that website link.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back