Levelling up (1 Viewer)

DJT

Jun 20, 2019
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Now Sold
Exp
Able to see pros and cons without applying bias. Mentally balanced. Having an even temprement. Able to see the good and bad in a situation and make unbiased decision based on facts instead of emotion.
Thanks for that Burgo?(think I tick all of the above!!!)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Our ramps are just plain flat triangles (ie no pockets or steps) but my dead easy system is this (Ducato based so 95 times out of a 100 we need to go up at the front) :
1 Place the ramp in front ......................................
7 check your spirit level, drop back down a bit if needed.

Works for us but, as always YMMV...
Spirit level? In a motorhome? :rofl:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 13, 2020
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer B514
Exp
6 months in a 10m Southwind in the USA (2014). Just bought a Hymer and embarking on a tour of Spain
We have air suspension that gives us a fairly good leveling
Hi Lenny, my MH has pneumatic suspension. I didn’t realise this would help with levelling; does it do some sort of self adjustment? I’m not on the road with it yet so no clue...

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hi Lenny, my MH has pneumatic suspension. I didn’t realise this would help with levelling; does it do some sort of self adjustment? I’m not on the road with it yet so no clue...
If its full air once parked you press a button and it levels. You have to release the handbrake once it's started because its the suspension that's moving the swinging arm needs freedom to move. We find we can get dead level 90% of the time. Nothing like the range of Jack's but still pretty good.

F.M.C.Fourier

Free Member
Jun 4, 2011
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 724FB
Exp
Since 1987
I travel solo and for about the last ten years I have used the Milenco Quattro levelling blocks already mentioned above. I also use large rubber mats under the blocks as, once, many years ago, I had an unfortunate incident on a smooth pitch where one of the blocks slipped from under my wheel as I drove up. It is easy to do on your own and you should not need help.

My routine, if blocks are needed, is to get the van into position about half a metre or so behind where I want to finish, put the mats butting right up to the front wheels and then place the blocks on top of the mats directly in front of the front wheels and give them a gentle kick to wedge them slightly under the tyre. Then one carefully drives onto the blocks and you can feel the van move up each of the four steps. I have a spirit level but I increasingly find that I use my own senses to decide if I am happy - it doesn't have to be spot on to feel right. I am assuming you only have to level up under the front wheels. I have never had need to do it any other way.

I did look into the aluminium risers mentioned above but I read several reviews which suggested they were just not robust enough for larger vans.

Blocks.jpg

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
I am not strictly solo (my co pilot sucks at this sort of thing though. She feels it will improve on her next birthday because she will ten and all grown up. I’m unsure) and I didn’t feel I could level by myself and had jacks fitted. I absolutely love them. I caravanned for years, and hated levelling the van, but hated being on a slant even more. The year we didn’t have them was a right pain.

I also lived in a old house with a sloping bedroom floor, which I became acclimatedised to, and couldn’t figure out how I felt head down at BOTH ends of the bed! Turns out it was completely level and I was used to sleeping head up! The levellers have been worth every penny for me.

Feb 9, 2018
Carmarthen, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Dec 2017
First time I got the ramps out I shot over the edge 3 times ??, now if it's really bad I make sure it's the front that's lower, that way I can lean out and watch the front wheel, someone suggested putting a free standing mirror on the ground so you could see the wheels, too much faffing about for me, most motorhomers will give you a hand if asked.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
There are times when u need to level and times when u dont.
Worst I ever came across was the last spot in an aire in ne France which sloped diagonally 8ins (200mm) rear offside to front nearside within the white lines. Quartros and some planks I used to carry sorted it but nowadays I would just find somewhere else. Doing something as daft as that on your own would be a recipe for disaster.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I use a similar method to Nasher put a container on the side and it is near enough the one and only time I got the levellers out was at Highlands end last July . The very kind marshal asked me which way I slept and I answered which ever way the van sloped.

He watched me on the first time but after that just went for it I have the steppy up up ones as they came with the van.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
If you have problems with the ramps slipping away as you try to go up them, just drill a hole in the lower edge and attach a cord. Then, when you position your ramps, just pull the cord out so you run over this first and the ramps will stay in position until you start to climb. This allows you to have a short run up before the ramp instead of having to wedge them under the wheel.

Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Recent
For those that like the accuracy of a spirit level to confirm the van is level, there are loads of apps that do the same job. I have occasionally used one called Bubble when I have disagreed with the OH about which corner needs raising, just to prove I was right :LOL:

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I travel solo and for about the last ten years I have used the Milenco Quattro levelling blocks already mentioned above. I also use large rubber mats under the blocks as, once, many years ago, I had an unfortunate incident on a smooth pitch where one of the blocks slipped from under my wheel as I drove up. It is easy to do on your own and you should not need help.

My routine, if blocks are needed, is to get the van into position about half a metre or so behind where I want to finish, put the mats butting right up to the front wheels and then place the blocks on top of the mats directly in front of the front wheels and give them a gentle kick to wedge them slightly under the tyre. Then one carefully drives onto the blocks and you can feel the van move up each of the four steps. I have a spirit level but I increasingly find that I use my own senses to decide if I am happy - it doesn't have to be spot on to feel right. I am assuming you only have to level up under the front wheels. I have never had need to do it any other way.

I did look into the aluminium risers mentioned above but I read several reviews which suggested they were just not robust enough for larger vans.

View attachment 362684
Sorry, double post.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2021
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Mohican S
Exp
Have owned my moho for 2.5 years now
I have just started to use the ramps I got. quite interesting the first time I used them I drove off them. No harm done apart from my pride

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back