LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
HELP! Have come on to speak to GJH but he isn't on line. Have a big big problem. Eldiss Autocirruss 200.

I have a solar panel which charges the leisure battery only (does not divert to the engine battery). About four weeks ago everything was working fine at Brownhills Weekend meetup.

Last week did my usual start the engine up and it started first time... everything honky dory (I did not check interior lights as no need to put them on.)

TODAY got into van and started engine up ... first time start.... BRILLIANT. Looked in cupboard at the solar panel switch and the red light was on to show it switched on and there were two SOLID green lights (one usually blinks if it charging) so I presumed it cos the battery fully charged as not used it. There has been no snow on the solar panel so it will have been able to charge with the bright light.

I then tried to turn the electric lights on .. . NOTHING. So I switched the control panel on... yes, that lit up but when I pressed the button to check the reading of the leisure battery and then the engine battery (which was at this point still running) there was no reading just a picture of the two batteries with a line going between them and a black circle with a letter G on it. This happened for the both batteries.

I am confused as it can't mean no charge in leisure battery as I have not used it since the weekend away and it was fine then... what does it mean and what do I have to do please? Thank you.:Sad: (Please keep it layman's terms and simple. Thank you.)

Last edited:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Joy try checking it without the engine running, it may make a difference as normally the engine running will affect the charge state.

Edit: I see you are now off line so maybe you have fixed it.

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
HELP! Have come on to speak to GJH but he isn't on line. Have a big big problem. Eldiss Autocirruss 200.

I have a solar panel which charges the leisure battery only (does not divert to the engine battery). About four weeks ago everything was working fine at Brownhills Weekend meetup.

Last week did my usual start the engine up and it started first time... everything honky dory (I did not check interior lights as no need to put them on.)

TODAY got into van and started engine up ... first time start.... BRILLIANT. Looked in cupboard at the solar panel switch and the red light was on to show it switched on and there were two SOLID green lights (one usually blinks if it charging) so I presumed it cos the battery fully charged as not used it. There has been no snow on the solar panel so it will have been able to charge with the bright light.

I then tried to turn the electric lights on .. . NOTHING. So I switched the control panel on... yes, that lit up but when I pressed the button to check the reading of the leisure battery and then the engine battery (which was at this point still running) there was no reading just a picture of the two batteries with a line going between them and a black circle with a letter G on it. This happened for the both batteries.

I am confused as it can't mean no charge in leisure battery as I have not used it since the weekend away and it was fine then... what does it mean and what do I have to do please? Thank you.:Sad: (Please keep it layman's terms and simple. Thank you.)
Could be your leisure battery has died, How old is it? Also have you a hand book for the control pannel to see what the symbal G and circle meens? Alan

Just had a quick word with my friend who's a decent mecanic ,he recons the red line indercates either, no charge or connection,could be either lost or broken conection ,bad earth or dead battery. hope this helps

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thanks both of you and thank you Stuart capinpugwash for his telephone help and Dellwood too.

Weird. I went into the van... thought I will give it a run and see if the signal changes but as I put the cups in the cupboard the box for the solar panel had changed. One of the green lights was flashing. I tried the lights. They worked!!! I checked the battery levels on the panel and .... couldn't believe it. This time instead of the strange picture, the leisure battery read 12.6 and the engine batter 14.0:whatthe::whatthe:Brilliant. I had done nothing and it was only about an hour since the problem.

I have driven the van just to be sure... and still no wiser what was wrong.

BUT THANK YOU ALL AGAIN. I REALLY REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP. (The leisure battery is pretty new by the way.:thumb:)

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Thanks both of you and thank you Stuart capinpugwash for his telephone help and Dellwood too.

Weird. I went into the van... thought I will give it a run and see if the signal changes but as I put the cups in the cupboard the box for the solar panel had changed. One of the green lights was flashing. I tried the lights. They worked!!! I checked the battery levels on the panel and .... couldn't believe it. This time instead of the strange picture, the leisure battery read 12.6 and the engine batter 14.0:whatthe::whatthe:Brilliant. I had done nothing and it was only about an hour since the problem.

I have driven the van just to be sure... and still no wiser what was wrong.

BUT THANK YOU ALL AGAIN. I REALLY REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP. (The leisure battery is pretty new by the way.:thumb:)
Great pleased for you,if it happens again it could be loose conection:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
it sounds suspiciously like a loose connection or bad earth, could easily happen again so do check all of the them.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just in case you didnt know, unless the solar panel is connected directly to the hab battery, you should be abe to switch between engine and hab batteries to charge, from the solar panel, and use either battery....just remember to switch back to hab battery if you need to use the other in an emergency.

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi John, My solar panel is only for the leisure battery. It would have cost me another £120 to have the one where it redirects the charge to the engine battery once it is full so I don't have that switch... but thank you anyway.:thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Joy, you can get a nice little widget from Cak Tanks for under £30.00 that will do the job for you..
Tis a 5 minute fit too.. very very easy indeed.
It is called the CAK Battery Charge Manager, part number BCM12.

3 wires to fix.
One to plus side of leisure battery, one to an earth or negative side of the leisure battery, and the third to the plus side of the van battery

If you get one I am sure someone will fit it for you mate :)

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi, Joy I think you'll find that if the engine is running the habitation side of things doesn't! This happens with my van- not a fault -lust the design of the circuits! Try again with the engine running and see if the lights are dead again-if so -problem solved!
Cheers, Dave:Smile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ahhh Yes.. Brit vans have that built in for some weird reason.. I reet pain in the nether regions !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back