Mitchyd

Free Member
Jan 4, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano T725
Exp
Dont own yet
Afternoon all, we shall hopefully be getting our first motorhome very soon so I have started to think about need to get accessories one of which will be a hose pipe but they come in different lengths so from your experiences would 50 foot one be ok or are there time you wish it was longer?? Cheers

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Two flat hoses. 10 meter and a 15 meter. Can be joined for 25 meter if required.

Captain Pants

Free Member
Dec 19, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg PVC
Exp
Since 1982
Two flat hoses. 10 meter and a 15 meter. Can be joined for 25 meter if required.
I like expandable hoses. Various lengths available and they don't kink or twist, so no annoying knots and fights with hoses that want to twist the wrong way. They self-shrink to about a third of their expanded length so 50ft hose will give you about 150ft. They’re easy to store and don't need to be rolled up. Make sure you get a good quality one though, loads of rubbish out there. Google ‘best buys’.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I bought a 30m blue food grade lay flat hose, cut into 3 pieces (5m, 10m and 15m) put connectors on each length so could use which ever length was suitable or join lengths together if required.
Rarely use anything longer than the 5m length of hose.
Also have a couple of folding buckets and a funnel arrangement to topup rather than move the van if we are parked up for a few days.

OP
OP
M

Mitchyd

Free Member
Jan 4, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano T725
Exp
Dont own yet
Thanks for that but I think 50 foot is the expanded length? Or should I go for a longer one as I can imagine you won't always get close to the tap.

Captain Pants

Free Member
Dec 19, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg PVC
Exp
Since 1982
Thanks for that but I think 50 foot is the expanded length? Or should I go for a longer one as I can imagine you won't always get close to the tap.
Depends what length you buy, but whatever, it will expand to about x3.
Good advice above about selection of hose end fittings and spares if, like me, you habitually forget to disconnect the fitting from the tap!

Last edited:

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
It will normally depend on how you intend to use your MH. If you use campsites, you will always be close to the water tap, so a coil of 15M or so will suffice. If you use Aires abroard, in general, these are easy to access as well and again the 15M hose may well suit. If you Wild Camp and use "alternative" water saurces i.e. taps at garages etc, you may well have to stretch a hose a long way. We only use a short hose, but have recently bought an expandable one, but that was mainly due to not being able to reach the tap when at home. This one expands to ~ 50M, but I wouldn't use it for everyday use.

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
We got this , isn’t food grade but very light , comes with a few threaded fittings and stores away easy . Just one tip when you turn the tap off let the hose depressurise itself otherwise u might get a wee bit damp .

Suplong Garden Hose Expandable Water Pipe 3 Times Expanding 100ft Flexible Magic Hose Pipes Reel With 7 Function Spray/Brass Connector Fittings/Hose Hanger/Storage Bag Amazon product ASIN B073TFQ43M

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I like my expanding hose but also keep my flat reel hose because if pressure is not good expanding ones doesn’t work very well.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Buy a watering can. Ours is ten litres and I top up every couple of days. Don’t need to worry about hose pipes, don’t need to move moho. ?

Deleted User
I carried a 20m hose around for 6 years and didn't use it so I leave it home. Now I have 1* 2m and 1* 5m and a 10ltr water carrier and loads of different hose fittings, never been stuck.

Dec 16, 2017
Funster No
Expandable hose for me with a selection of fittings. I also have a small watering can which is handy when on rallies where water points may be limited.
I had a flat hose used it once, hopeless. It's in the garage somewhere.

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
IMO they take up nominal space and are so very light .

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
I prefer a normal (food grade) hose as it fills much quicker without kinking, but I keep my flat hose in case I can't get close enough to the tap - both 10m.

Last edited:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I’ve had 3 blue flat hoses. They all leaked and/ or imparted a horrible taste to the water. We now use two 10m lengths of Gardena hose that coil up easily and fit into a round zip up bag.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Buy a watering can. Ours is ten litres and I top up every couple of days. Don’t need to worry about hose pipes, don’t need to move moho. ?

Same for us , I can’t remember the last time we used the hose as the watering can is so easy and convenient.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have a 50ft and 100ft expanding hose, and normal food grade one about 6ft long which is the one I use the most. I fill up at the service point before leaving an aire/site and if staying put for more than 3 days use my watering can.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Even with a food grade hosepipe I’d never use it for drinking water. Made the mistake of filling a drinking water container using a hose at a rally. Only time I made myself and my dogs ill in the motorhome. ( didn’t last long but we all had upset stomachs for a couple of days and don’t eat the same food)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I fill up on arrival and a short hose is usually all that is needed. Some sites do not allow you to run a hose from your pitch to a tap (CMC). A watering can is handy for topping up, I don’t worry about food grade plastics unless the water is going to be stored in it.

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
We’re newbies so interesting to read. We bought a nice little blue flat hose on a reel with nice selection of fittings. Watering can sounds good idea, but trying to limit volume of stuff. Any collapsible watering cans out there?

OP
OP
M

Mitchyd

Free Member
Jan 4, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano T725
Exp
Dont own yet
Thanks for all the advice and tips but I just don't fancy the watering can option as we have been caravanner for 28 years and so a lot of rallies, 5 Van's sites and temporary holiday sites and over the years it always amazed me how many trips people are making with bottles and watering cans that's why I was asking about hose pipes as once I'm on site if I top up I was looking at a large water container (not aqua roll) to bring water then use a pump to fill up??? That was my thinking not sure if it will work out ok only time will tell??

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
You will find your own way of doing things. We did and found the watering cans to be the best option for us.

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Thanks for all the advice and tips but I just don't fancy the watering can option as we have been caravanner for 28 years and so a lot of rallies, 5 Van's sites and temporary holiday sites and over the years it always amazed me how many trips people are making with bottles and watering cans that's why I was asking about hose pipes as once I'm on site if I top up I was looking at a large water container (not aqua roll) to bring water then use a pump to fill up??? That was my thinking not sure if it will work out ok only time will tell??
Yes we’re recent ex caravaners & wondered If you could get a portable small submersible pump With own power source.

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
We’re newbies so interesting to read. We bought a nice little blue flat hose on a reel with nice selection of fittings. Watering can sounds good idea, but trying to limit volume of stuff. Any collapsible watering cans out there?

We got one of these
COLOURWAVE Collapsible 2-in-1 Watering Can/Bucket, 7-Liter, Juicy Orange Amazon product ASIN B00IZ72CII

SteveJulesMontycame2

Free Member
May 17, 2019
Touring Europe
Funster No
MH
Semi integrated <8m
Get plenty of the different diameter screw on tap fittings, especially if going abroad. We travel empty (no more than 20litres) and fill up on arrival using our 5m hose. If on a site for a time, we use the on site showers so only need to top up day to day with a 10 litre watering can. Saves moving to the tap and we don’t use much water if on a site. We have a Fiamma 23 litre grey water wheelie can thing for emptying the grey without moving the van. On an Aire we move to the tap and grey water drain every few days if we’re there that long, but rarely are!

Only twice in 2 years have we found that the 5m hose hasn’t been long enough. So we used the watering can then. Doesn’t weigh anything and is really useful.

Always drain your hose after use, very important not to leave any water standing in the hose pipe if you’re not using it. And we always spray the tap fitting with Dettol spray and wipe it before using it. And never use campsite or Aire hoses that are already on the taps, who knows where and it what they’ve been in; always undo them and use your own!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back