E-go bikes? (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
Having read various threads on here I'd gone from thinking of getting folding ebikes to the idea of converting our existing full size manual bikes.

Now having read on here of a couple getting their brand new electrics stolen off their bike rack at Honfleur I'm looking at folders again.

Does anyone have e-go bikes just seen an ad in MMM?

https://e-gobike.co.uk/

Jul 22, 2013
Altrincham
Funster No
MH
Chausson 718xlb
Exp
I was a newbie
I have a couple of Decathlon folding E bikes and although a bit heavy, they were good value brand new and decathlon warranties are good with bundles of stores around UK and Europe in case of problems

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
There's lots of folding ebikes out there but I get the impression that Decathlon, from looking at their website, need a more reliable generation of vehicle. It's just the brand 'e-go' that I'm looking at in this thread.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Interesting, I quite like the idea of the Max version but not many stockists listed (none near me) and didn’t see an address for the vendor on their website.
Any idea where they are located?

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Owning electric bikes ourselves, we test drove a few before realizing that you need good gearing, good comfort and fit and not tiny wheels. We have 20" wheels and 7 speed shine gears on ours and can get up all hills we have tried and have cycled a good distance. Remember all gaers are not the same, dont presume that one 7 speed is as good as another. We wanted the bikes to folf to go under our bed so were limited in size.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I would also re-iterate that you need to try them before you buy.

We have a couple of AS folders with the 26 inch wheels which work well for us but we are not serious cyclists.

We've had our bikes for quite a few years but the technology has moved on (as have the prices) since then. I have attempted to try other e-bikes since we bought ours but have found that with the higher priced / "better" bikes the step though is too high for me.

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
They're in Wadhurst, Sussex a bit SE of Tunbridge Wells. I like the look of the funky tyres, too!

Interesting, I quite like the idea of the Max version but not many stockists listed (none near me) and didn’t see an address for the vendor on their website.
Any idea where they are located?

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
I know next to nowt about bikes so no I hadn't thought that all gears are not the same! I'd kind of discounted 16" wheels. What makes did you try and end up with?

Owning electric bikes ourselves, we test drove a few before realizing that you need good gearing, good comfort and fit and not tiny wheels. We have 20" wheels and 7 speed shine gears on ours and can get up all hills we have tried and have cycled a good distance. Remember all gaers are not the same, dont presume that one 7 speed is as good as another. We wanted the bikes to folf to go under our bed so were limited in size.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I know next to nowt about bikes so no I hadn't thought that all gears are not the same! I'd kind of discounted 16" wheels. What makes did you try and end up with?
We tried all the ones at shows, and ended up with Dahon 20" folders converted to front drive electric. Prefer front drive as its like having 2wd when you pedal.

Dec 2, 2013
West Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Back after a 3 year break.
I've just bought an E-go Max on Thursday. Apparently it was the last Max for sale in the UK as the factory in China has been closed for a month due to Coronavirus; so new supplies are delayed. I got it from Jacs Electric Bikes in Aylesbury. I'm very pleased with it . I've ridden it up 17% hills back home in West Yorkshire with no problem, and it does have good range. I was impressed by Ross at Jacs as he is an Ebike enthusiast himself, and also by Glenn the E-go importer who has been very helpful. As a happy customer I can recommend the bike and the people behind it.

Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB

The rear gear cassette is made up of a number of gears - anything up to 12 these days with only one chain gear. More usual is what is known as a 2by or 3by in that you have two or three gears on the front (chain rings) and 7 to 9 on the back (rear cassette). On a mountain bike the cassette is often a 14-32t. This means that your smallest gear has 14 teeth and the largest has 32. You can also get 11-28t cassettes often found on hybrid bikes. When in top gear, doing 15mph on the road a 14 tooth gear will need your legs going round faster than an 11 tooth. However an 11 tooth gear will need more power to go up a hill. The 32 teeth gear is good for going up steep hills and with the use of the chain ring helps mountain bikes go up rough terrain.

So gear selection comes down to where you are likely to be riding. Rough terrain or smooth roads. Hope this helps.

Let's not get into the effect of larger wheels and crank size couple with offset and head angle.......

ps. Cassettes cost less than £30 and take 2 mins to change (with the right tool) so can be swapped easily.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I wouldn't discount small wheeled bikes. I have a Kalkhoff Sahel. Even towing our 24kg dog in his trailer uphill is easy.

<Broken link removed>

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
Thanks a lot its great to hear from someone who actually has the e-go!

Glenn told me that there's a stockist not too far from us, I'd like to see any model but like you my initial thought is for a max. That's quite a recommendation saying it goes up steep hilks in Yorkshire, were in Sussex and there aren't hills down here. What max range have you had from it so far? Have you tried it in conjunction with your van or car yet eg whats it like for folding and msneuvering in the vehicle boot / garage?

I've just bought an E-go Max on Thursday. Apparently it was the last Max for sale in the UK as the factory in China has been closed for a month due to Coronavirus; so new supplies are delayed. I got it from Jacs Electric Bikes in Aylesbury. I'm very pleased with it . I've ridden it up 17% hills back home in West Yorkshire with no problem, and it does have good range. I was impressed by Ross at Jacs as he is an Ebike enthusiast himself, and also by Glenn the E-go importer who has been very helpful. As a happy customer I can recommend the bike and the people behind it.

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
Where was the conversion done and how much did it cost? Im still torn between converting our full size bikes myself (though I know so little about bikes when the next post I'm about to read mentions cassettes I expect the bike to play music) but on-rack security puts me off that idea and towards folders.

No bought it done

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
Does anyone have the e-go lite+ and can tell me what kind of range you get with it?

I assume from its design you can't put a bigger battery in?

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
Or, how many of us have a Max?