The Big Lorry to Camper Conversion (1 Viewer)

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
The cost of one or two tubes of Sika are an extremely small part of the build. I will always use Sika because of it's reputation. Saving a few quid on an alternative is a bigger risk than I am prepared to take.
I will always use sika.

I will go for the best stuff money can buy for glueing the solar down!

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Paddywack, MANGOFORTH, Gromett, maybe this will ease your anxieties, just had a closer look at a tube of Toolstation's Puraflex I had in the garage and look who makes it !
20200210_204803.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
So because im an idiot i used house windows in my truck. Turns out house windows have drainage holes in the bottom of them to drain any water into the cavities of a brick wall.

I knew this and sealed up the window. Did a cracking job.

Stupid storm Clara or whatever gave it a battering.

Now the gullys for the runners fill with water...
IMG_20200213_140148.jpg

I need like a flanged rubber hose maybe 5mm. Preferably a D shaped flange....I'm hoping i can drill out the front of the frame and drain it out.

Any ideas where i would get such a rubbery flange?

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
So because im an idiot i used house windows in my truck. Turns out house windows have drainage holes in the bottom of them to drain any water into the cavities of a brick wall.

I knew this and sealed up the window. Did a cracking job.

Stupid storm Clara or whatever gave it a battering.

Now the gullys for the runners fill with water...
View attachment 362534

I need like a flanged rubber hose maybe 5mm. Preferably a D shaped flange....I'm hoping i can drill out the front of the frame and drain it out.

Any ideas where i would get such a rubbery flange?
Is this what you are looking for? I used this to seal the doors on my trailer.

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
No ive explained it stupidly.

The gully fills with water because i sealed the drainage holes up so no water leaked into the frame. This is just how house windows work. No water comes into the truck.

I want to drill through the window frame. From the outside, into the gully....

With a 5mm rubber tube going from the gully to outside. Just need a flanged end to put on the gully side..

So im looking for a flanged end for a 5mm tube i guess. ?‍♂️

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
No ive explained it stupidly.

The gully fills with water because i sealed the drainage holes up so no water leaked into the frame. This is just how house windows work. No water comes into the truck.

I want to drill through the window frame. From the outside, into the gully....

With a 5mm rubber tube going from the gully to outside. Just need a flanged end to put on the gully side..

So im looking for a flanged end for a 5mm tube i guess. ?‍♂️

Will maybe a countersunk rivnut do the job ?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
what ever you do, don't drill into the hollow casement of the window, but a carefully positioned 4mm drain hole each end of the track is exactly the same as the windows in most A class cabs. Set the depth of the hole so the bottom is 1-2 mm above the depth inside the track. Probably no need to line the hole with a rubber tube

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
How about drilling a hole either side of the outer frame and bonding a small plastic tube in the gap.
eg, leisure battery drain off 90 degree bend /
Any small bore black plastic straight tubing will do. You won't see it as it's black and the window is black.
Just cut it off flush with the window.
OR
Just drill holes in the aluminium and paint the through holes black to save corrosion ?

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
what ever you do, don't drill into the hollow casement of the window, but a carefully positioned 4mm drain hole each end of the track is exactly the same as the windows in most A class cabs. Set the depth of the hole so the bottom is 1-2 mm above the depth inside the track. Probably no need to line the hole with a rubber tube
I think that's all i can do, drill into the hollow casement as you say. Hence the rubber tube to bridge the gap. Cant put drain holes in the bottom as the water will collect in the steel framework of the truck.

Design fault on my behalf.

How about drilling a hole either side of the outer frame and bonding a small plastic tube in the gap.
Thats exactly what i want to do, just want an end to put on the tube, gully side, to get a better seal.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I think that's all i can do, drill into the hollow casement as you say. Hence the rubber tube to bridge the gap. Cant put drain holes in the bottom as the water will collect in the steel framework of the truck.

Design fault on my behalf.

Thats exactly what i want to do, just want an end to put on the tube, gully side, to get a better seal.
with a window sliding back and forth, the seal will eventually leak no matter how well you try and seal it

The other option is a length of black plastic or rubber L shaped bonded to the glass to divert the water away would stop half the water getting in

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Horsebox windows just have a 30MM approx slotted hole in the middle of the window at the outer lower gulley level for accumulated rain water to escape..

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
Just need the inserts/pipe/tube/something/dohicky to bridge the hollow cavity of the window frame ? any ideas?

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
Hi just read through your build so far well done you , you are building it your way you have the knowledge as a fabricator welder so this build will be quality, not as you say like a production line where the build is not as up to scratch , so keep up the good work

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
Yes, I brought two roof vent things before we started this build. Don't really know alot about them but they are motorhome spec. Not sure I like them as they are made of plastic. They are called Thule Omnivent... Was that a good or bad purchase?
I would put in a max air fan front and rear it will give you good ventilation and can be used in the open position in the rain

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
They all are plastic , and all do the same job with different levels of bells and whistles , and corresponding price . It all depends on how much you want to spend and what exactly you consider as must have features .

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
Only recommend using inserts on hot water supply it helps keep the hot pipe rigid and fixed

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The cost of one or two tubes of Sika are an extremely small part of the build. I will always use Sika because of it's reputation. Saving a few quid on an alternative is a bigger risk than I am prepared to take.
I will always use sika.
I've always used Tiger Seal. Given the life of PU adhesive once opened every little helps.

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
I am still doing this stupid truck. Very slowly.

Mrs has been asking me to say this..

She's doing and Instagram. It's basically the same as what I've done here but with prettier photos and lots of #####

The handle is...

@Man_go_forth

I don't have Instagram.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back