Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
After a long running intemittent fault with my Hymer Truma space heater (battery operated ignition not sparking) and having bought a new switch/gas valve which wasn't quite right... I thought I had fixed it when on removing the heater I found a wire that had come loose. (see earlier post)

Reconnected the wire... refitted the heater... every thing fine... fires up several times... then a day or two later... NOTHING. No spark again. Check the (formerly loose) wire... it is fine.

Totally frustrated I leave it and walk away.

Today, a couple of weeks later, I take the old girl out for a spin... when I return, I park her up and try the heater. You've guessed it... fires up instantly and has done for the last two tries...

As the heading says...

Totally bamboozled...

JJ :Angry: :Angry: :Angry:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I fixed it while you were busy:winky:

I'll send you the invoice.:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
After a long running intemittent fault with my Hymer Truma space heater (battery operated ignition not sparking) and having bought a new switch/gas valve which wasn't quite right... I thought I had fixed it when on removing the heater I found a wire that had come loose. (see earlier post)

Reconnected the wire... refitted the heater... every thing fine... fires up several times... then a day or two later... NOTHING. No spark again. Check the (formerly loose) wire... it is fine.

Totally frustrated I leave it and walk away.

Today, a couple of weeks later, I take the old girl out for a spin... when I return, I park her up and try the heater. You've guessed it... fires up instantly and has done for the last two tries...

As the heading says...

Totally bamboozled...

JJ :Angry: :Angry: :Angry:

Could it be an intermittent fault on the thermocouple?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi JJ, could it have got damp then dried out ?
BTW netto have a offer on both FB and Princes pies here :ROFLMAO: £1 each ::bigsmile:
terry

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
if its sparking and getting gas to the small feed pipe then surely that's all that's left?

Is the thermo...clean? once one of mine was sooted up and I cleaned it then it worked fine

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
if its sparking and getting gas to the small feed pipe then surely that's all that's left?

Is the thermo...clean? once one of mine was sooted up and I cleaned it then it worked fine

Sometimes it sparks like a volcano. Everytime it sparks it lights instantly. The problem is sometimes it sparks... sometimes it doesn't...

Nothing to clean... it is like a hospital inside... no correct that... it is very clean inside...

JJ :Smile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Sometimes our Truma S3002P appears not to light. I say appears because I think it may just be (certainly has been on some occasions) the fact that I'm not looking through the sight aperture properly so don't realise it's lit and don't release the control properly.

If your heater is S3002P/S3002/S5002 and you need a manual for it let me have your e-mail address in a PM and I'll send you a scanned copy.

Graham

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I have that problem with our Truma Graham, I actually think with me it is summat to do with the lens change in my varifocals - which this year are in a nice modern oblong frame - though. I have the same prob when looking down, for instance if standing up trying to look down at my waist area LOL

(This may sound not too bad to others, but being as it's where I do at least 3 or 4 of my daily insulin jabs, it's fairly annoying to me. My alternative site is in my bottom which is even worse to see. It means when I get my eyes tested again after Xmas, I shall be purchasing specs with larger frames again ..... like the ones I got rid of THIS January ........)

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
It realized it time for the annual shower JJ hardhat:help:

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Sometimes our Truma S3002P appears not to light. I say appears because I think it may just be (certainly has been on some occasions) the fact that I'm not looking through the sight aperture properly so don't realise it's lit and don't release the control properly.

If your heater is S3002P/S3002/S5002 and you need a manual for it let me have your e-mail address in a PM and I'll send you a scanned copy.

Graham

Thanks for the kind offer... I have a manual (not a service manual though...)

Please can I assure all you Funsters who are only trying to help that I really, really do know when the heater lights...

I know when it is alight because...

It roars...

I can SEE the flames (with or without my glasses) and... here is the clincher...

...it gets hot... !!!!

JJ :Doh: :Doh: :Doh: :Doh:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
After a long running intemittent fault with my Hymer Truma space heater (battery operated ignition not sparking)

Do you have a circuit diagram or could Graham email me one, might be able to suggest something then.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks for the kind offer... I have a manual (not a service manual though...)

Mine too unfortunately, so no circuit diagram.

Ours Roars when the button is released properly but doesn't (the pilot light goes out) if the button is released wrongly.

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Just come up with a genius idea...

Service/repairs manuals for all motorhome equipment... wait for it...

wait for it...

on a KINDLE

You know it makes sense.... this time next year we'll be millionaires...

JJ

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
JJ you say that it is battery operated is that the Leisure battery? If so do you have a faulty earth return. Have you checked the earth connection to the fire itself

Lunarman

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Mine too unfortunately, so no circuit diagram.

Ours Roars when the button is released properly but doesn't (the pilot light goes out) if the button is released wrongly.

Possibly because the pilot light has not been on long enough to heat the thermocouple.

Peter

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
JJ you say that it is battery operated is that the Leisure battery? If so do you have a faulty earth return. Have you checked the earth connection to the fire itself

Lunarman

igniter operated by two AA batteries... yes they are fully charged...

Possibly because the pilot light has not been on long enough to heat the thermocouple.

Peter

You can hear the igniter clicking when it works... it ignites the flames EVERY time it "clicks"

I am pretty certain the problem is definitely to do with the igniter and or the switch operating it...

... was about to strip the old switch and fit with new switch together with all the new wiring etc but the bl**dy thing started working again... It must have seen me approaching with a screwdriver and a hammer!!!

JJ

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Sometimes it sparks like a volcano. Everytime it sparks it lights instantly. The problem is sometimes it sparks... sometimes it doesn't...

:

then it's nothing to do with the gas valve or the thermocouple..

The ignitor board is either faulty or it has a bad connection on the 12v supply or HT side.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Just come up with a genius idea...

Service/repairs manuals for all motorhome equipment... wait for it...

wait for it...

on a KINDLE

You know it makes sense.... this time next year we'll be millionaires...

JJ

Isn't KINDLEing small pieces of wood used to start fires? problem solved!!

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
then it's nothing to do with the gas valve or the thermocouple..

The ignitor board is either faulty or it has a bad connection on the 12v supply or HT side.

My beloved Hymer is a bit early for "boards" Jim but swop a "resin block thingy" for board, add a possible problem with the switch and I think we have the problem covered!!!

Now only have to find which one of the choices it is and we have it conquered!

Bit hard to track the problem while the wretched thing is working perfectly as it is a the moment...

JJ :Sad:

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Here we go...

tested this morning... lit first time... tried one hour later... nothing...

...out she comes again (at least that is an easy job...)

I see some non standard, engineering modifications to the original design specification happening... (bodging) to the control switch... :thumb:

JJ

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Here we go...

tested this morning... lit first time... tried one hour later... nothing...

...out she comes again (at least that is an easy job...)

I see some non standard, engineering modifications to the original design specification happening... (bodging) to the control switch... :thumb:

JJ

non standard, engineering modifications to the original design specification happening = hammer:thumb:

bonneville

Free Member
Nov 14, 2010
Kirkby mallory
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
Just a thought,when you are driving or have the vans ignition on a relay usually cuts the power to your cookers igniters and heater,could this relay be faulty?
Or,you said you found a wire loose,was it a live? if yes then what about an earth, for there to be a spark you need both,check if the igniter or base has a good earth.

might be a load of :Smile:s but you never know.good luck.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back