LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
How long would you have to be in the outside lane to be lane hogging?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Assuming Big Maps correct and it is a 40mph limit then any charge would be challengeable as being only 4 mpg under the speed limit is hardly causing an obstruction, if however the charge came about because of lane hogging then it should be a fixed penalty notice for careless driving, the Law are slowly starting to clamp down on this. Something that should have been stamped out a long time ago imho

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Unless you're reading a different paper than me, it says it reached 36 mph in a 50 mpg limit. It was in the outside lane and a vehicle undertook it. Both were given tickets for driving without due care and attention. Artistic licence for the rag that printed it. It wasn't given for driving too slow

Euro330

Banned
Aug 16, 2019
Carnoustie
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 640
Exp
About 5years
The legal standard for driving is described as what a `Carefull and competent driver` would do.
There is not a fixed penalty for Carless or Dangerous driving. The driver would be charged and at a later date have the opportunity to plead guilty or otherwise.
If traffic in lane 2 or 3 were travelling slower than traffic in lane 1 or 2 it is not an offence to pass traffic travelling slower in a lane to your right, that is to allow for slow moving traffic lane build up.
It would be up to the Fiscal or CPS in this case to prove the drivers driving standard fell below that of which a `Carefull and Competent` driver should do.
If the driver can prove his driving manner was for a specific reason there will be no case to answer.
Weather, traffic conditions, pedestrian traffic or any other potential hazrd are all taken into consideration.
Possibly a young child in the vehicle could have unclipped a seat belt, TPMS illuminate on dash, or seagull shat on windscreen and no wiper fluid left after heavy contamination on windscreen! (yes thats an offence but would not be what was outlined in charge)
Anyone with a bit of brain should manage to get off with the charge as it is far easier to disprove any charge than to prove it!

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Unless you're reading a different paper than me, it says it reached 36 mph in a 50 mpg limit. It was in the outside lane and a vehicle undertook it. Both were given tickets for driving without due care and attention. Artistic licence for the rag that printed it. It wasn't given for driving too slow
I kind of was actually, only the first 2 posts and the first part of the newspaper reports were showing on my desktop computer.
bit strange, on the iPad the whole stories there

Euro330

Banned
Aug 16, 2019
Carnoustie
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 640
Exp
About 5years
Yeah your right. These are specific offences which constitute Careless driving.

Aug 28, 2017
Leicester
Funster No
MH
None at the mo.
OP
OP
big map

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I was wrong the stretch of road it happened on is still a 50

1580719592594.png

However the stretch of road is only 1/2 mile long.

1580719495623.png

I would certainly challenge Dorset Police if I was the driver of the campervan.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
We have a bypass around our town which is a mile long and has two lanes going up a hill between islands. Many old dears get in the right hand lane at the bottom of the hill because they intend to turn right at the top and do 30 mph in a 60 mph zone. Very frustrating for everyone else!

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
We have a bypass around our town which is a mile long and has two lanes going up a hill between islands. Many old dears get in the right hand lane at the bottom of the hill because they intend to turn right at the top and do 30 mph in a 60 mph zone. Very frustrating for everyone else!

I call that anticipation ...

We also have a 1 mile bypass dual carriageway. I like to move early into lane 2 in the last quarter mile with the intention of taking exit 3 at the roundabout. This avoids the frustration of a vehicle to my right that started to overtake but stays alongside in the blind spot, and keeps slowing down and blocking me when I want to change lane.

I expect you have noticed many times that a lot of car drivers can't stand following a campervan and absolutely MUST get in front even if that means obstructing you or making you slow down. Or undertaking.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I was of the understanding that stretch is 50mph Andrea

OP
OP
big map

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I was of the understanding that stretch is 50mph Andrea
I corrected it on post 14, John. But it is still ridiculous in my opinion, you know how short that bit of road is.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I corrected it on post 14, John. But it is still ridiculous in my opinion, you know how short that bit of road is.
indeed, and I would challenge the police over this if the facts are as stated, but the echo is notorious for misquoting

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I think he was fined appropriately. Careless driving can be dealt with by way of a fixed penalty notice if the driver accepts it, otherwise he can elect to go to court.
If I had been on duty that day and saw what happened, I would have dealt with it the same way.
By accepting the fixed penalty notice the driver must have accepted he was in the wrong and has waived his right to appeal it

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Sounds more like lane hogging then speed. It’s been on the news that the police are cracking down on people who just sit in the middle lane when the inside lane is empty.

I was shadowed by a driver who never moved out of the middle of three lanes which at one point became the third lane of a four lane stretch.

For

Approximately 12 miles.

I was driving around 60 mph.

Had I done that, I’d have been flashed at, honked at, slam ins, you name it

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
From the map view the dual carriageway was between 2 roundabouts, half a mile apart. He could could have advised he was in the outside lane as he was turning right at the next roundabout and was therefore in the correct lane.

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Lane Hogging?

Something I have a problem with both in the motorhome and car!

Every day I drive through a tunnel that;

Has a 50mph speed limit - rarely observed by a majority of drivers.
A solid white line separating the two lanes - again often ignored by drivers switching lanes to undertake.
A few hundred metres from the end of the tunnel and lane control, a slip road off to the right - that takes me home.

Especially in the van if I don't move to the outside lane well before entering the tunnel and lane control, my chances of making it across the lanes to make it over to the slip road are minimal, as no one will let you out of the inside lane!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
As long as it takes to overtake a vehicle!
Not quite. If the gap into which you would return is shorter than a safe distance (100 yards+ at 70mph added to whatever you leave behind for the vehicle you have overtaken) then there's no point in pulling in. And on a busy motorway that scenario can go on for a number of miles. If you choose to pull in you will immediately have to slow to the speed of the traffic in that lane making the whole manoeuvre pointless.

Reactions: 68c

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back