Rear lounge or fixed bed (1 Viewer)

Jan 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van
Exp
15 yrs
I’m sure this has probably been asked countless number of times but I can’t find anything on the forum. We are looking at a two berth around 6. 5 m length home. Mostly for use in the UK but possibly two weeks in Europe. We don’t want an overcab one.

Just wondered what people’s views were on rear lounge v fixed French bed?

We have had a Vw camper for 15 years so are used to lack of space and making the bed up!

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Autotrail 634U but be sure to check for damp, having said that I would check for damp in any van that I bought.
Our first van was an Apache and we loved it, I only sold it after my wife died and now onto my fourth van, the last three have been A class with the drop down bed over the driving area, I love the idea of being able to push it up out of the way with pillows etc left, the biggest faff is changing the bottom sheet.
Norman.

Upvote 0
May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Autotrail 634U but be sure to check for damp, having said that I would check for damp in any van that I bought.
Our first van was an Apache and we loved it, I only sold it after my wife died and now onto my fourth van, the last three have been A class with the drop down bed over the driving area, I love the idea of being able to push it up out of the way with pillows etc left, the biggest faff is changing the bottom sheet.
Norman.
,Hi Tucano.
So do you have a rear lounge?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Nope, l bought a van with four belts to take my granddaughters and my lady friend, however lady and my daughter dont see eye to eye so dont need four belts now :whistle2:
Who said life was easy !
Front Euro lounge as it is termed, L shaped seating area that l am beginning to like.
Have fun with the choices out there (y)

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I will comment on a few of the factors that need considering, which are :-

View from seating area
Desire for a garage
Fixed bed and type.
Type of matress/cushions.

View from seating area.

Whilst a rear lounge does probably have the best view, especially compared with a 'C' Class with overcab and a standard van windscreen, but a good panoramic view can be had from the front lounge of an 'A' Class - ours has two long saloon side windows plus quite large/high cab side windows and a very high panoramic windscreen(make sure it is fully insured with a lowish excess). Windows in the Habitation door would be an advantage when door has to be closed.

Desire for a garage.

A rear lounge does not permit a garage. Most fixed bed options can be found allowing for a garage. A garage allows for bikes/scooter inside, otherwise they have to be carried on a rack at the rear, which would obstruct the view from the rear window of a rear lounge. A garage also allows much easier access to items other than bikes compared with underfloor lockers. Fixed beds over garages do require some sort of step(s) to access the higher bed(s).

Fixed bed(s) and type.

There has been a lot of comment on the various fixed bed options, particularly French beds, which Christy the OP mentions, but not much talk of Island beds. These can be as large as either a transverse or French fied and provides the easiest access/exit for both persons. It does require a longer MH, particularly if combined with the recent layout of separate shower and toilet, to allow the same forward living space. The convenience of fixed being always ready has been emphasised.

Type of mattress/cushions.

A fixed bed will allow for a comfortable mattress covering the whole bed. Made up beds involve multiple cushions, some with piping on, which some users find less comfortable, but can be enhanced with a mattress topper. That and the bedding does take up storage space in the day compared to a fixed bed.

Our own preference is for a front lounge in an 'A' Class with a fixed bed over a large garage, although we might prefer an Island bed to our Transverse one, but we manage at present as Basia does not wake up for long when I climb over her.

For Christy -do compare some 'A' Class for the difference in the view from the seating compared with a 'C' Class

Geoff

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Fixed bed all day long.
Nothing worse than getting ready for bed drunk at 1am and realising you need to make the bed up!
I soon learned a lesson right back in my motorbiking with a tent days so always make up the bed before going out to the beer tent. Bliss!

Upvote 0

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Desire for a garage.

A rear lounge does not permit a garage. Most fixed bed options can be found allowing for a garage. A garage allows for bikes/scooter inside, otherwise they have to be carried on a rack at the rear, which would obstruct the view from the rear window of a rear lounge. A garage also allows much easier access to items other than bikes compared with underfloor lockers. Fixed beds over garages do require some sort of step(s) to access the higher bed(s).

Not quite right - Hymer Duomobil has a garage and rear lounge, I accept this is unusual but there might be others too. It was certainly a clincher for us, a garage is so useful for all the reasons you say ??

D2C45A2E-E132-4736-BBD4-3AC6F4C4665A.jpeg
FC377F57-5C77-4D86-83EA-32A3167052FE.jpeg

Upvote 0

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Rear lounge all the way. Ours makes up to a king size bed either direction in minutes. Or, if you prefer, two singles. As for lounging of an evening, perfect, lie down, sit up whatever your preference. Once the bed is made up we can make up a small front "dinette" if we wish. We have a large enough through garage under the rear lounge so I don't need any more space. And, who wants to constantly spend time in a cramped tiny upright seating dinette area looking at the waste of space that is a fixed bed. Just saying like. Good luck with your choice (y)

ditto...……...

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2017
Wybunbury, Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Apache 634 Hi Line
Exp
Since 2019
Rear lounge for us as have a super king at home and anything less we would end up fighting, especially as my wife is at that stage of life when she’s either too hot or too cold. ( It’s January and our bedroom window and en suite window are open to create a flow through of cold air and she also has a fan on level 2 of 3 pointed directly at her ?) She can do whatever she wants in the lounge bed as it’s that big she doesn’t disturb me. We use a super king topper on the cushions and the bed literally takes 2 mins to make and next morning everything goes straight onto the overhead cab bed.

Upvote 0

Rangersmith

Free Member
Feb 5, 2015
wales
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 744
Exp
Since 2015
Rear lounge, just bought Burstner 744 with L shaped rear lounge and electric drop down kigsized bed over, also electric drop down bed over diner. Fantastic living space and a kingsized bed bliss, even managed to get a 32" tv in the lounge.

Upvote 0
Jan 25, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1962
Rear Lounge, Why waste space with a fixed bed, had this van for 15yrs drop table down slide two seat cushions drop duvet on job done under 5mins nice flat bed unlike uk multi cushioned vans, and we have a nice lounge with panoramic views during the day.

Upvote 0
May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Rear lounge for us as have a super king at home and anything less we would end up fighting, especially as my wife is at that stage of life when she’s either too hot or too cold. ( It’s January and our bedroom window and en suite window are open to create a flow through of cold air and she also has a fan on level 2 of 3 pointed directly at her ?) She can do whatever she wants in the lounge bed as it’s that big she doesn’t disturb me. We use a super king topper on the cushions and the bed literally takes 2 mins to make and next morning everything goes straight onto the overhead cab bed.
ditto apart from the Hot wife

Upvote 0
May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Rear lounge, just bought Burstner 744 with L shaped rear lounge and electric drop down kigsized bed over, also electric drop down bed over diner. Fantastic living space and a kingsized bed bliss, even managed to get a 32" tv in the lounge.
Blimey you must have bad eyesight

Upvote 0
Apr 10, 2018
Gt Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500
Exp
10 yrs
I’m sure this has probably been asked countless number of times but I can’t find anything on the forum. We are looking at a two berth around 6. 5 m length home. Mostly for use in the UK but possibly two weeks in Europe. We don’t want an overcab one.

We have had a Vw camper for 15 years so are used to lack of space and making the bed up!
Yes I too prefer a fixed bed and we lay there reading or watching the set. A comfortable mattress and no having to get out sheets, duvet etc.

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Pair of large fixed beds. Why drive round sofa space for 8 people when there are only two of us. Also love the ability that one can snooze on a bed in the quiet and the other can sit and watch telly or what ever they want.

But each to their own.

Upvote 0

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
We love our rear lounge/bed. We live outside mostly in hols so it's always just a lovely big bed. However, our double rear doors open and we call it our citadel as we are high ish up and looking down we sleep with the doors open all night and nod off looking at the stars, (tho we have our mozzie net up!!!! ).

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Not quite right - Hymer Duomobil has a garage and rear lounge, I accept this is unusual but there might be others too. It was certainly a clincher for us, a garage is so useful for all the reasons you say ??

View attachment 357734View attachment 357735

OK I stand corrected.

However the windows look a bit small, particularly the rear one, compared with a traditional rear lounge.

Also looking interior pic of the seating and footwell height it seems this must incurse into the garage height.

Can we please see a pic of the garage with the door open.

Geoff

Upvote 0
Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Why choose? Have an electric centre double bed, above a lounge area.

The capability to flop with a good book, is infinitely more desirable than sit with a good book.

Both the double beds in our bus go up on electric, should we ever feel the need to take a piano in the garage - a temptation thus far, successfully resisted.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2019
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer camp c546
Exp
Since 2019
We had a fixed bed on our list, would of loved Island bed, but out of our price range, finally decided on over cab for grandkids or when by ourselves great storage, dinnette makes double bed, but also have long single, which pulls out, after 1st night, hubby climbing over, realising either of us, won't get much sleep, so now I have the double( making it up takes
couple of minutes) hubby has the single
sooo much easier....but lottery win, when I win, will be island bed :rolleyes: :clap: :giggle:, just take your time, try all layouts, good luck

Upvote 0

KeefieWeefie

Free Member
Dec 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 520
Exp
Since 2012

I prefer a rear lounge and make up the bed each day. It only takes a minute and the rest of the day you have more living space. The absolute best option would be a drop down cab bed. My friend has a Cathago A class and the dropdown bed is larger than his fixed rear bed!

Upvote 0

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Hi
Is the near side seating longer,Interested as still want to convert to 2 singles

You’re right, the near side seat is longer but wouldn’t be long enough for an adult sized single bed. Might be ok for a child, but there are only 2 belted seats.

the front drop down bed does configure as 2 singles though (I mention this in case your question is more based on a preference for single beds as opposed to wanting to have 3 or 4 people sleeping in the van)

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Rear lounge, i agree that having to make bed up each night is a pain but we have reduced bedding to 2 Duvalay sleeping bags which you can overlap as a double. Fixed beds with ladders and little head room was the design feature of last years vans and both my wife and I would struggle during the night on toilet trips If we had one. Also garages appear to waste a lot if space unless you have bikes etc.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back