French Mediterranean coast (1 Viewer)

borderman

Free Member
Dec 3, 2010
Funster No
I'm planning to take my motorhome to some or other part of the French Mediterranean coast for the month of February 2011. It's been very frustrating searching the web for a campsite that'll be open then. Does anyone have a recommendation? I prefer fairly basic (ie economical) sites, but with a hook-up at least.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Brave man. If I remember correctly they were snowed up last Feb.

Sorry not very helpful but if you are expecting a break from the cold you won't get it.

Which of course explains why no campsites open.

You might get lucky with some aires open.

If you nip round the corner to the west coast of Spain it will be a bit warmer and many sites open.

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
My experience of that part of the world at that time of the year is that it's usually much colder than the UK, due to the fact that the UK is - or used to be - warmed by the Gulf Stream. The Med on the other hand isn't, plus you get the cold winds coming down from the Alps - there is a name for the effect but I'm having a senior moment.............

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
My experience of that part of the world at that time of the year is that it's usually much colder than the UK, due to the fact that the UK is - or used to be - warmed by the Gulf Stream. The Med on the other hand isn't, plus you get the cold winds coming down from the Alps - there is a name for the effect but I'm having a senior moment.............
try the Mistral

Northerner

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
A couple of years ago we had a month in southern France in January and the weather was quite mild. We went to the Camargue and the Ardeche but the bulk of our trip was in Cathar Country, around Carcassonne.

Anyway, to answer your question, there is a delightful little site in a very pretty walled-town called Alet Les Bains. It's a few miles south of Carcassonne on the River Aude and it's open all year. It's owned by a very nice British couple and is ideally placed for touring that area of the Languedoc. I know that you said the coast but I'm assuming that you may want to explore inland as well.

Here's the link: http://www.valdaleth.com/campingen.php

Edited to say: It takes the ACSI card and if you haven't got one, you should apply!

Last edited:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
We were on the French Med coast (Nabone and Perpignon) with a view to over winter there, we left in October as it was clear that the weather was not going to be warm enough, there were strong winds and the temp was already uncomfortable.

Doug...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Borderman, You may be in luck...my last months French motorhome Magazine had a supplement inside giving telephone numbers and email address's of campsites open all the year in France.....These are the areas I think will cover the Med......06-Alps-Maritimes.....11-Aude......13-Bouches-du-Rhone......30-Gard .......34-Herault.....66-Pyrenees-Orien-Tales.......83-Var......

If you send me private message with a email address for yourself , I will scan and send them onto to you :thumb:

If that is of any use to you.

UNLESS YOU HAVE CHANGED YOUR MIND :winky:

Mel

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Hope Dinah is map reading to Spain!

Just my thought John but I don't think Brian is going now. Perhaps as well as he may have finished up in Italy again. :ROFLMAO:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Perhaps as well as he may have finished up in Italy again.

No contest but to get to the winter warm bits of Italy is a serious journey and no FUNsters.

Can you imagine heading for Italy right now :Sad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back