Schengen zone restrictions (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
No, and apparently Andorra doesn't count. You need to start counting 180 days from the day you set foot in Schengen Simple Example: go on January 1st - by June 30th you must not have spent more than 90 days in Schengen area - that means you need to find 90 days outside of Schengen if you intend to be out of the UK for the entire 6 months eg spend 90 days in Turkey

Thanks.
So, to be clear in my head, even if I spend only 4 days in the Schengen zone just travelling to let’s say Croatia where I plan to stay 82 days, my permitted time left is 4 days to get back to the port and keave the zone.
(Apologies if I’m just not twigging!)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
What there will do is record your entry and exit out of the Schengen area.
That's ok except when you enter via ferry port in to France then drive here to Spain then you fly back to the UK. When you reenter France they want to know how you left ? Or for those with dual or more nationality, & we have a few of those here, you use one passport to exit , another to enter, the third,etc:
You will not be tracked within Schengen area but when you leave a Schengen country and your entry to the first Schengen country shows a date more than 90 days previously then you could be in deep trouble/prison.

Of course you could stay undetected till you die.
As above it could quite easily be a shambles. Even under the old system when a full eu member the wife often returned by road with me then flew back to the Uk to work from spain. Was asked once how she had returned without exiting France.
I guess I could leave the m/h 'over there' and take a cheapy flight home for 90 days, then fly back to it, having had my passport stamped both ways.
I could tour with my son's caravan for the 90 days back here. :)
No as in spain that would come under the existing "6 months maximum" for any vehicle then it is required to be 'precintado'(sealed ) by the Guardia for the next 6 months.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Thanks.
So, to be clear in my head, even if I spend only 4 days in the Schengen zone just travelling to let’s say Croatia where I plan to stay 82 days, my permitted time left is 4 days to get back to the port and keave the zone.
(Apologies if I’m just not twigging!)
Not so. As I see it your passport will be stamped when exiting Schengen and re-stamped when returning so only 4 days entitlement will have been logged.

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Not so. As I see it your passport will be stamped when exiting Schengen and re-stamped when returning so only 4 days entitlement will have been logged.

There’s going to be an awful lot of passport stamping around these parts in view of so many Gibraltarians going into and out of Spain on day visits to shop, visits etc. Spain would be foolish to place these obstacles in the way.... Gibraltarians account for 25% of the economy of the surrounding Spanish area. It will certainly be interesting.

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
There’s going to be an awful lot of passport stamping around these parts in view of so many Gibraltarians going into and out of Spain on day visits to shop, visits etc. Spain would be foolish to place these obstacles in the way.... Gibraltarians account for 25% of the economy of the surrounding Spanish area. It will certainly be interesting.

Probably will be covered by a work permit/work visa arrangement.?

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
There’s going to be an awful lot of passport stamping around these parts in view of so many Gibraltarians going into and out of Spain on day visits to shop, visits etc.
Spain joined Schengen in 1991 so they've had plenty of practice at passport stamping. ;)

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I have also read that even now if you are abroad for more than 90 days your NHS cover lapses, but I've no idea how my local health centre would know.
I guess they don’t unless you make visits to doctor or hospital on your European health card . Has happened be it a few years ago to a man living in a caravan in Portugal . He received a letter to his ‘home ‘ address querying his place of residence as he had made several visits to doctors and hospitals over quite a long period .

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
I guess they don’t unless you make visits to doctor or hospital on your European health card .
On my annual visit to my local health centre for a 'flu jab and purely out of interest I asked the Receptionist how they handled that limitation. She hadn't even heard of it, neither had her colleague.
It does seem bizarre when all legal (or illegal) foreign visitors can obtain treatment.

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
at the moment nothing has changed but I must admit to wondering what my position will be having a Spanish wife who has kept her nationality and her Spanish passport so far I have been told the rule will not apply to me as the husband of Spanish national we will see

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
On my annual visit to my local health centre for a 'flu jab and purely out of interest I asked the Receptionist how they handled that limitation. She hadn't even heard of it, neither had her colleague.
It does seem bizarre when all legal (or illegal) foreign visitors can obtain treatment.
I guess it is when you use your European health card then that country claims the money back . UK is just too lazy to do so . They have the right but just don’t bother

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
romany as I understand it you have a conferred right to remain as EU allows family members to live in the country.

I also wonder if post 31/12 we may require a tourist visa to enter EU.

I’m hoping a deal will be done but with so much to cover in such a short time I’m guessing us tourists aren’t high on the list of priorities.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I have also read that even now if you are abroad for more than 90 days your NHS cover lapses, but I've no idea how my local health centre would know.
It has always been the rule long before even the EU. You are supposed to inform the health centre & they are supposed to deregister you.That is why you cannot usually get more than 3 month repeat prescriptions. Also the ehic becomes invalid if you have been out, or intend being out, over 90 days as you have no right to it as you have no Uk health care.

I guess they don’t unless you make visits to doctor or hospital on your European health card . Has happened be it a few years ago to a man living in a caravan in Portugal . He received a letter to his ‘home ‘ address querying his place of residence as he had made several visits to doctors and hospitals over quite a long period .
Also happened up in Alicante a few years back.Gent came out for the winter, registered with his usual spanish doctor & was then contacted by Uk health authoriteis asking what he was up to as he was getting repeats in spain for months on end every year.

at the moment nothing has changed but I must admit to wondering what my position will be having a Spanish wife who has kept her nationality and her Spanish passport so far I have been told the rule will not apply to me as the husband of Spanish national we will see
Yes you will come under non EU spouse rules & entitled to a residents card.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I guess I could leave the m/h 'over there' and take a cheapy flight home for 90 days, then fly back to it, having had my passport stamped both ways.
I could tour with my son's caravan for the 90 days back here. :)
But you would have to time the mot correctly if it ran out while you were in the UK it would be very tricky also there the question of where you tell the insurance the mh is kept athough I suspect your post might not have been that seriuos

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
One variable not yet discussed is the attitude of UK govt towards EU citizens in this country.
will they limit their releatives travel to the 90 day rule, will they distinguish between EU with residency in the UK ( settled status) and EU tourist? If so how will the EU reciprocate?

Will all become clearer this year.
Thats something no-one discussed when there was talk of stopping "forigners" flooding in!!!. What a lot of people didn't seem to realise is that when they visit another country they are "foreigners" and if the rules alter one way they are likely to alter the other way too!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
No, and apparently Andorra doesn't count. You need to start counting 180 days from the day you set foot in Schengen Simple Example: go on January 1st - by June 30th you must not have spent more than 90 days in Schengen area - that means you need to find 90 days outside of Schengen if you intend to be out of the UK for the entire 6 months eg spend 90 days in Turkey
The problem is if you leave the Scengen area but don't return to the UK you will find it very difficult to return to the UK without passing through the Scengen zone. Effectively it will need very careful planning/getting the mot date right etc etc. Of course as others have said no-one knows yet.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp

:pop: Bob.
Very interesting.
From reading that, those of us fortunate enough to have residency in a schengen country (and still hold a uk passport) may also need a visa if we travel back to the UK and then return, especially if having to drive through other countries?

weejocky

Funster
Jan 20, 2010
Yorkshire and France
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
not long enough
Even though French ports are rammed with economic migrants with no papers, no ID, who are in the country illegally and who never get fined or arrested. You can be sure the first motorhomer who presents at the port, with all his documents, proof of who he is etc... after overstaying his 90 days in the Shenzhen will be made to wish he hadn't.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
We spend about 8 - 10 months a year in Europe and brewery Dave is right no one knows what will happen.
We are lucky we have just found out Lynne’s grandfather is Irish he was born in Dublin 1908 and then came to England six months later , we have traced all the paperwork she needs to apply for a Irish passport.

Start checking your family tree !

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Very interesting.
From reading that, those of us fortunate enough to have residency in a schengen country (and still hold a uk passport) may also need a visa if we travel back to the UK and then return, especially if having to drive through other countries?

Getting more bureaucratic by the minute.

if you enter and then leave, then enter again it looks like you will need a double or multi entry visa.
as a single entry visa expires as soon as you leave, and the 90 days in any 180 still applies. So to return even within the 90 Days you need another single entry visa, as you will have left And the single entry visa will have expired.

if you have a residence status in a EU country is there any right to enter and leave as you wish, or does the UK.passport issue cause an issue.?

Hopefully our european friends and BJ can make it easier for us ex- European Citizens.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
if you have a residence status in a EU country is there any right to enter and leave as you wish, or does the UK.passport issue cause an issue.?
Honestly, we don't know!
I do know we have the right to remain permanently in the country of residence.
I would expect if you fly direct to and from your country of residence, your residency paperwork may suffice, but if driving through France and Spain I expect from reading that, that we may need a visa to enter those en route countries, as we would be entering a schengen country where we are not resident.
Have to wait and see?

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Even though French ports are rammed with economic migrants with no papers, no ID, who are in the country illegally and who never get fined or arrested. You can be sure the first motorhomer who presents at the port, with all his documents, proof of who he is etc... after overstaying his 90 days in the Shenzhen will be made to wish he hadn't.
Unless you can prove you are a refugee. I would say be grateful you aren’t

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back