Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Good morning,

Although I've travelled extensively in La belle France I haven't yet ventured down the Spanish coast. For the commencement of this apprenticeship I think the bay of Roses would be a good starting point (if it isn't I can hightail it out of there back to France PDQ). My question to the collective is which campsites have you used in this area and what additional advice would you give me to make my visit as painless as possible.

Ta muchly. (y)

Taran.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Also Blanes is a bit further down and a nice resort, a few ACSI sites there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We love that area, we used to spend summers camped at Skydive Empuriabrava, there are a lot campsites in the bay but we've not been for about 8 years so the advice would not be current.

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Good morning,

Although I've travelled extensively in La belle France I haven't yet ventured down the Spanish coast. For the commencement of this apprenticeship I think the bay of Roses would be a good starting point (if it isn't I can hightail it out of there back to France PDQ). My question to the collective is which campsites have you used in this area and what additional advice would you give me to make my visit as painless as possible.

Ta muchly. (y)

Taran.
Its an area we have been to a lot. We tend to camp in somewhere like Las Dunas which is about half an hour from Roses (Lots to do on that site) We hired cars for 17 Euros for a day last time and went to Roses.
Great part of the world!

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We were there last year. We stayed at camping Aquarius, which I would not recommend. We weren’t keen on that area. If you travel a bit further you will reach Les Cases d’Alcanar. Campsite Estanyet is one of our favourites in Spain. I recommended it earlier this year on here and they went and loved it.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Stayed on both these sites in the past ---- San Pedro Pescador.
Definitely close to the beach

1578482132118.png

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Another vote for Blanes. A really nice town and loads of campsites. Last stop was, here, in a very convenient position:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We have stayed at Aquarius and Las Dunas just outside L'escala ( near St Pere Pescador) and at Il Mateu ( I think) which is the other side of L'escala next to a beach called Cala montgo.

We love that area.

Not sure about Aquarius but I think the other two don't open until April / May.

There is a site in L'escala itself (Camping L'escala) but I haven't stayed there.

I personally hate L'estartit, but others like it.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We stayed at Roses a year last october and loved it, nice site, lovely walk into the town and habour and suprmarkets fairly close
Camping Salat ACSI (thanks Jim just found it im my 2018 journal)
one slight problem was that we were 3 vans, friends 2 vans were on the back row near the hedge and they got plagued with ants, we were just across the road and had no problems, so would advise not to take a pitch there, although they do alocate on arrival.
just ask for one away from the hedge.
We intended to go back last spring, but a bereavement changed our plans.
Editted to add not open till march :(

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We found Aquarius packed with a Germans, nothing wrong with a Germans, she quickly added, but we prefer sites that have a mixture of nationalities. There’s no pool and we had to queue for a shower.

I got bitten by mosquitoes quite badly there, even during the day. The last straw for me was the amount of dog mess along the path between the site and the beach.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We found Aquarius packed with a Germans, nothing wrong with a Germans, she quickly added, but we prefer sites that have a mixture of nationalities. There’s no pool and we had to queue for a shower.

Yes there were lots of Germans there when we were there.

On the basis though that I prefer them to the French I counted my blessings

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class

I got bitten by mosquitoes quite badly there, even during the day. The last straw for me was the amount of dog mess along the path between the site and the beach.
A part from the showers not a very good review as your in Europe so many nationalities and unfortunately mozzies are part and parcel for foreign destinations. Dog mess is down to owners .

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
+1 for Illa Mateua, at the southern end of the bay, with a nicely sheltered small beach and bay 200m from the site. Ideal for bike rides up to the ruins at Empurias and further, with an off-road ride over the headland to L'Estartit which tests your tyres.

In Rosas is Camping Joncar Mar, open all year. Convenient for beach, excellent facilities but pitches are a tad tight.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
A part from the showers not a very good review as your in Europe so many nationalities and unfortunately mozzies are part and parcel for foreign destinations. Dog mess is down to owners .
We’ve found that the presence of mosquitoes does vary from place to place, as does dog mess.

OP
OP
Taran_Las
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks everyone just what I need. By the way I'll probably visit end of June (still in ACSI season :rolleyes: ) after the Pau Grand Prix.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Thanks everyone just what I need. By the way I'll probably visit end of June (still in ACSI season :rolleyes: ) after the Pau Grand Prix.

Best time of the year to visit.

Nice and warm but without the crowds.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
We used to stay at Nautic Almata during August when we had a boat (moorings on site). Also has direct access to the sea with beach bar. Site fees are a bit expensive, even in May, when it opens.

Easy cycle ride to St Pere Pescador along the side of the river using minor road with very little traffic.

Recently used Aquarius (owned by German company) hence mostly Germans on site. Good facilities but avoid parking under the larger trees unless you want van covered in bird droppings.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Best time of the year to visit.

Nice and warm but without the crowds.

Almost the exact words of the nice campsite guy in Blanes except he said Sept instead of June.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Almost the exact words of the nice campsite guy in Blanes except he said Sept instead of June.

I think June and September are similar Brian, except the sea is a bit warmer in September.

Before the kids were school age we always used to go the last 2 weeks of June and it was great.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Before the kids were school age we always used to go the last 2 weeks of June and it was great.

In Macclesfield there was a schools closed Barnaby fortnight in June, it was excellent time for good value holidays. Not any more though.

OP
OP
Taran_Las
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009

I think June and September are similar Brian, except the sea is a bit warmer in September.

In Macclesfield there was a schools closed Barnaby fortnight in June, it was excellent time for good value holidays. Not any more though.

Oi you two :rolleyes:........feel free to hijack my thread;):LOL:

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
We've been going to Roses for about 30yrs now. Never spent more than a week there but if we ever enter Spain at that entry point we always make a stop there before heading further south. Camping Salata is a good site but maybe overpriced . Its on ACSI and is only 300 metres from a nice beach and lovely promenade. However most resorts around the bay of roses are lovely. I would suggest you go a little further south for a few days and take a look at Llafranc and Kims Camping. A beautiful little town with easy access to other ex fishing villages.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back