LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi

I dont know a great deal about computers so thought id ask you lot for some advice. Sophie is wanting an ipad for her xmas but to me it seems a lot of money for what she will be doing on it so i wondered how this one compares to the ipad.

Link Removed.

Thanks in advance
Gerry

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi

I dont know a great deal about computers so thought id ask you lot for some advice. Sophie is wanting an ipad for her xmas but to me it seems a lot of money for what she will be doing on it so i wondered how this one compares to the ipad.

Link Removed.

Thanks in advance
Gerry

Have you seen the 7" touch tablet for sale at Netto for £99?? it looks a great deal!

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
IMO the ipads are merely a phase..."I've got to have one"...the question to ask is what does she want to use it for...if its computing...then whats wrong with a net book...if its for reading then something like a kindle...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Phil_Mart

Free Member
Sep 24, 2010
North Shields Tyne & Wear
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
1 month
Gerry,

That pad is only an 8" screen with not brilliant resolution. Also it is loaded with Android 1.5 rather than the latest release of 2.2.

Have a look at the pads available in PC World. Much better spec at the same or slightly less price.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
i wondered how this one compares to the ipad.
Gerry

In my humble opinion iPad is a triumph of marketing over value.

Look on ebay, there are loads of android tablets very cheap, I'll bet they'll do what most people need rather than be flashy toys as well.

Just list what you need to do. Does the android offer this ?

Early days for android, there will be time before the volume of programs is here but I'll bet the essentials are here now: email, web browser, MP3 and ebooks.

What won't happen is you being locked into the Apple system and told what you can and cannot do with your music and be screwed on price for the privilege.

Apple have been control freaks ever since the days of Apple ][.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Have a look at the pads available in PC World. Much better spec at the same or slightly less price.

They have this one though cheaper elsewhere.

This has to be the world's worse review but even so it looks good to me.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK3ovYyh-34[/ame]

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I've no idea if this is any good but it does show how overpriced the Apple offering is:

Link Removed

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
They have this one though cheaper elsewhere.

This has to be the world's worse review but even so it looks good to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK3ovYyh-34

Archos products are often available from QVC - may not be the cheapest option but the big advantage is you can get it, try it, and if its not up to what you need send it back no problems or questions asked. I dont know if this is, just have a look online.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Well I am biased..I have an ipad

Fantastic... I have the 64 gb .. I find it very easy to use, in fact I am doing this post on it now wifi... Have down loaded films like 'the bucket list' .. Down loaded music, free and paid for apps... The onlything I do not do on it is write my letters.. For that I use the Dell... But as an e reader, film watcher, music player, picture storage and photo frame..it is great... Yes expensive..I purchased mine from John Lewis ( never knowingly under sold) ... Found one or two on eBay cheaper.. But I want the big store back up. Had a question today, phoned apple ..in Ireland ..0800 number.. Question answered.. Free support for 90 days one year warranty with extra year if i pay.. I.e two years tec support and and hardware...

It is a dream and not the screens do not show the finger prints.. The battery lasts a good 24 hours of hard use. ..

Go road test one at your local apple store... Oh can you do that with the other brands??? Thought not.

No one sold me it,i tried it and feel in love with it.

Bob:thumb:

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Fantastic... I have the 64 gb .. I find it very easy to use, in fact I am doing this post on it

Go road test one at your local apple store... Oh can you do that with the other brands??? Thought not.

No one sold me it,i tried it and feel in love with it.

Bob:thumb:

I have the same and this replying being done on it. I also have the 3G bit so I can use it in the van. Eddi bought mine from the Apple store.:Smile:

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
Of the ones out at the moment the Archos, Samsung Galaxy Tab and Advent Vega are the ones worth considering.

If you can, I would recommend waiting a couple of months as Android 2.3 and more importantly 3.0 will either be out or close to it. These are moving the OS more towards scaling for the tablet sized screens.

You also have CES in January which will have all of the manufacturers launching or showing what will be coming.

The likes of Acer have also announced 3 different sized tablets in Q1 2011 and details will soon be announced in more detail.

If the iPad does turn out to be your thing, the rumours are that there will be a new model in April next year with the retina screen.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Guys
Thanks for your reply s will have a better look at the ones suggested and though some give ipad great reviews dont think i'll stretch to that.

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
The Huawei is a dog of a tablet.

Poor resolution, slow processor and not enough RAM. Its had extremely poor reviews unfortunately.

But then I may be just expecting too much and for £250 you aren't going to get something blazingly good. However, there is going to be better than that out there soon for the same money.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Ive got one of these

Link Removed

Had it for about 2 months now and think its great value for money compared to the ipad. It does everything the ipad does and connects to the android mkt with no problems. I get regular firmware updates from the supplier andthe aftersales service has been fantastic.

Battery life is a bit poor at around 4-5 hours on wifi but at less than a quarter of the price of an ipad its still ok.

The screen is NOT anywhere near ipad standards but its functional and works ok.

Would i buy another..yes
Would i recommend the seller..yes
Will they take it back under warranty..yes (i got a mobile phone from the same seller and they refunded my money straight away when i had a problem with it:thumb:)
Is it an Ipad....no but it is less than 1/4 of the cost :Doh:

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
aPad is certainly one of the better budget ones that's for sure.

Did it come with a GPS chip? There was something it didn't have but can't remember if it was GPS.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
No gps on an E/Apad but you really want to use a 10 inch tablet as a satnav :Eeek:

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
Not for satnav, but lots of locationally aware applications could make use of it.

Not a deal breaker for many, especially at the price point.

Also, good to see it has 2.1 on it now as it originally launched with 1.6 IIRC. This is one of the concerns I have with some of the cheaper ones. Will the manufacturer continue to develop the OS for them. Its unlikely the community will as there will be too many of them to cater for.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back